PDA

View Full Version : First project...

peter slamp
12-24-2006, 5:05 PM
Some of you are already familiar with me because of all the questions I ask :D! Well, I was able to nearly finish my first furniture project just in time for X-mas. It's a Japanese inspired coffee table for the wife. I did the best I could with all of your help and limited tools. At the moment I'm limited to a few Ryobi power tools. Man this hobby is hard without a table saw, jointer, planer etc. Very rewarding though for sure. I learned some important lessons in my first go. First and most importantly, precision is everything. Everything I did made me realize how much easier it would have been with a decent table saw with an accurate fence. A circular saw with a straightedge is NOT the way to go. LOL. The table is solid oak tabletop with solid ash legs and maple ply carcasse and drawers. It's really all I could afford at the moment. That leads me to lesson no. 2. This is an expensive hobby! Can't wait to cross off a few things on my wish list...table saw, jointer, planer, mortiser (that Festool sure looks nice to me!) etc.

Thanks for all your help. Couldn't have done it without you. Oh, I'll be applying aerosol lacquer over the next couple of weeks to really finish it...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/pslamp32/a.jpg

The drawers aren't perfect I know. Precision....

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/pslamp32/b.jpg

The table is not completely flat because I don't have a planer or even hand planes yet. There are some small glue lines as well because I couldn't get the edges 100% square without a jointer etc. I did the best I could with a orbital sander.

Dan Oliphant
12-24-2006, 5:11 PM
Hang in there Peter, you choose a challenging project for you first. Looks like a little more coloring is needed on the edges of your top, good job.

peter slamp
12-24-2006, 5:17 PM
Thanks. Yea, I'll be putting a little more stain on when this coat dries.

Dave Ray
12-24-2006, 5:18 PM
Pete, looks to me like you did good with your limited tools. We all start someplace. I bet your wife will love it. Merry Christmas

Ron Jones near Indy
12-24-2006, 5:18 PM
It looks very nice Peter. I'm sure the LOYL will love it. You have half of the hobby well defined. Expensive, yes. It's also very addicting. And then if you try a lathe--oh, gee. Have a Merry Christmas!

peter slamp
12-24-2006, 5:21 PM
Thanks Dave. I'm actually a little embarrassed to put those pixs up here. I've seen some of the amazing stuff you guys produce. Incredible! I figured you guys were nice enough though. :)

peter slamp
12-24-2006, 5:23 PM
Yea I know! I've watched David Marks work his magic on the lathe. Very cool stuff!

Jim Becker
12-24-2006, 5:39 PM
Beautiful job, Peter!! Great work!

Don Fuss
12-24-2006, 7:36 PM
Peter, awesome job! It sure beats the heck out of my first furniture project. Your wife will love it!

Brian Hale
12-24-2006, 7:50 PM
Looking good Peter, Darn Good!!

Don't sweat the tools. You done good with what you have.

One small tidbit of "advice" based on my experience..... Once you think you're ready to finish a project take the time to look it over real good. I always find something i missed during the machining/assembly/glue up that needs a bit of attention before the finish goes on.

I have one complaint about the table though..... The sled feet look outa place..... :rolleyes:

Keep It Up!!

Brian :)

Zahid Naqvi
12-24-2006, 8:07 PM
Peter, The table looks real good, tablesaw or no tablesaw :)

Jeff Yates
12-24-2006, 8:17 PM
Let me just say I hope my first piece of furniture comes out that nice...

peter slamp
12-24-2006, 8:27 PM
Thanks for all the kind words! I really love this hobby. I've always loved furniture and to be able to actually have creative license is amazing. Looking forward to more advanced work in the future.

Mark Singer
12-24-2006, 8:40 PM
Not only is it great work....its a great design...simple practicle and unique!...REALLY EXCELLENT! Don't be afraid to spend money on tools...you have a future..

Mike Cutler
12-24-2006, 9:04 PM
Peter.
It looks great! There are key design elements that you incorporated that show that you thought it out. Everything appears to be plumb, level and meeting at right angles. The table is symetrical in it's proportions. Nice work.
Straight stock for the legs, the drawers appear to made form a single length of material and matched across the length. Nice touch.
It is an expensive "hobby". However it can pay for itself. Get your "chops" down. Buy some books on cabinetry, joinery, carcass construction and finishing. Make your first set of SOLID wood cabinets for the kitchen and bath, and you will be very close to paying for all of the tools purchased that were required to do the job.
It's a nice first project. Thank you for posting it for us.

Roy Wall
12-24-2006, 9:12 PM
Peter -

That is a great table! The design is sharp and will really be a nice addition in your home....Well Done!!

Has the LOYL seen it.....or have you been able to keep it hidden??