PDA

View Full Version : Bench width

Rob Blaustein
12-24-2006, 2:31 PM
I've never owned a ww bench (nor have I used one) but I will likely get one soon. I like Geoffrey Noden's Adjust-A-Bench since I like the ability to change height and wheel it around to use as an outfield table when need be. But I'm not sure what width top to use. It will mostly be against a wall and I'm planning to use the wall above the bench for storage so I'm concerned that a 30" width would have me reaching a little too far for comfort (I'm 5' 10"). Is a 24" width common and/or is it adequate for most tasks? I gather this depends on what I'll use it for. I have really only used mostly power tools but would like to learn how to do some basic hand tool work like planing and sawing. I don't tend to build very big pieces and have worked mostly with plywood (lots of pocket hole joinery, some dados). But I am about to take a class on cutting dovetails by hand. Any suggestions?

Jim Becker
12-24-2006, 3:36 PM
Rob, I actually got the benchtop that Geoffrey sells with the Adjust-A-Bench since I dragged it home from a show. I actually like the wide surface (about 30") as I use the bench for assembly as well as hand-tool work. Narrower benches are fine for general hand-tool work with appropriate vices. Wider is better when you need double duty.

Oh, I have not missed the lack of an end vice on mine so far. Between the side vice (Lee Valley) and the Veritas SuperPups, as well as the holdfasts I got from ToolsForWorkingWood.com, there hasn't been anything I have not been able to appropriately clamp.

Mark Singer
12-24-2006, 4:23 PM
Mine is 24" with the tool trough so about 20" without. It is really better to be able to move around the bench or at least be able to pull it away from the wall. Front vice and end vice are the best all around set up IMHO..The pic shows the Lie Neilsen...mine is the same vice set up and diefenbach...

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/images/largebenchhead.jpg

Alan Turner
12-24-2006, 5:15 PM
Rob
I have built a # of benches, all at 26.5" in width. This was the width I chose for my first one, and I liked it so well, I stuck with it. I work from both sides of the bench, and so too wide can be a problem.

Like Mark, I have front vices and tail vises on all of them, and do recommend that condfiguration. Tool trays -- well, that is a whole discussion.

Bob Smalser
12-24-2006, 5:26 PM
I'm with Mark. 24 inches max. You gain much by the ability to work from both sides, even if you have to store it against the wall.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/7297605/95066141.jpg

glenn bradley
12-24-2006, 5:26 PM
When worrying about your reach, remember that if your using the wall for storage, your items will be closer than the wall; on pegs, on shelves or whatever. If your bench is to stay against the wall (which is how I had my old 30" x 96" beast) you are more likely to have problems with the stuff on the wall getting in the way of what is on your bench.

Now having made that global statement, let's acknowledge that different people make different stuff. I always seem to be mostly in the range of about the size of a microwave oven up to a washing machine. If I made jewelry boxes full time I would have a different outlook on a workbench and a 20" x 56" would be great!

Rob Blaustein
12-24-2006, 6:45 PM
Thanks for the replies. My inclination is to go with a 24" top given the comments. Since I will have the ability to move it around as needed, I'll be able to work from both sides even though I'll mostly keep it agains the wall. And if things on the wall get in the way, I can always pull it back a bit.

I'm not sure what to do about vises. Before I put my shop together I went to a ww show and saw some guy demo a Zyliss Z-vise. I got dizzy just watching all the incarnations the guy put it through, and it seemed like a reasonable thing to get since I didn't have a workbench and could use it on almost any table. So out comes the credit card, but it's sat in the box for the past few years. I thought I'd try it for while first before committing to a particular style.

Mark Singer
12-24-2006, 7:14 PM
Don't get any weird vise....the traditional vise or an Emmert works well, but I don't reccomend it for a front vise. The Old style European bench screw bench is good fotr hand work...but overall the bench that I posted is a good for hand and machine tasks. I eally don't miss my old Frid style bench that is somewhere in Northern Ca, now

Joe Mindell
12-24-2006, 10:36 PM
Rob,
My bench is on the wider side 28-30". And its up against the wall. I find that this works ok, but I'd love to have the space to get access to both sides, I think that would make me lean toward a narrower one. As far as vises, I have the cheap lee valley face vise and it works great, though there are plenty of times I find myself wising for a tail vise to hold wood while planing etc. Some day I'll build my dream bench and have both....
I agree with Mark-don't get any weird vises, especially since you want to move the bench--I suspect that either they would make it much heavier or wouldn't proviide a stable work platform.
Joe

Mike Cutler
12-25-2006, 7:53 AM
My benchtop is 96" x 36" . I'm 6'3" and have long arms so the reach is not a problem for me.
I like to have a lot of room to work and lay stuff down and this size suits me. I am going to modify it to have a center tool area like the euro style benches. Being able to get your hand tools below the surface of the bench is the way to go. I've knocked more than a few tools off of the benchtop.

Andy Haney
12-25-2006, 8:47 AM
Not to derail the thread, but building a workbench is also on my agenda. I've been watching this thread in hopes of learning from others' experience. Options are not limited at this point. What is a Frid style bench?

Andy

Oh! P.S. Merry Christmas to all.

Roy Wall
12-25-2006, 1:26 PM
Not to derail the thread, but building a workbench is also on my agenda. I've been watching this thread in hopes of learning from others' experience. Options are not limited at this point. What is a Frid style bench?

Andy

Oh! P.S. Merry Christmas to all.

Hi Andy! A Tage Frid WorkBench has a traditional wooden end vise but the front vise is not just bolted on the face from underneath. It is made from wood to create a "J" shape: Here is a link to this type of bench.....

http://codesmiths.com/shed/workshop/bench.htm

The adv. is a board can be mounted vertically with no obstruction.

josh bjork
03-05-2007, 12:38 AM
I'm with Mark. 24 inches max. You gain much by the ability to work from both sides, even if you have to store it against the wall.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/7297605/95066141.jpg

I assume that is bob's picture. What is with the two turnscrews beside the vise? Is that whole endboard attached? is it a planing stop?

glenn bradley
03-05-2007, 12:52 AM
Rob,

I had a 30" against the wall. I wanted to be able to hang stuff on the wall behind and still have enough bench top without stuff over it to work comfortably. I'm 6 ft and have a real set of knuckledraggers for arms; even so, the reach to the wall for a tool would bug me now and then.

I would stand with your palms flat against the wall at shoulder height and measure the distance from your chest to the wall. That'll be about as far away from something hanging on a peg that you want to be.

My bench now is 24" and against a pegboard wall and seems roomy enough. This will soon be replaced by a replacement 24" that will move away from the wall as needed. I have a separate assembly bench now so the smaller top should be OK (I'll find out, eh?).

Rich Person
03-05-2007, 7:16 PM
Mine is about 30", but I have it in the middle of my shop so I can access all sides. If it was against the wall it would probably be too wide. Not to mention that I have a full lengh end vice on one end.

http://www.person.smugmug.com/photos/125868497-S.jpg

Scott Brihn
03-05-2007, 8:06 PM
Rob,

I've built four benches in the six years I've been woodworking. The first three were 30" deep and up against the wall. As hand tool acquistion and usage increased I really needed to get the bench away from the wall. When I built my fourth bench I designed the shop around the bench and was able to get it out in open space. As other posters have mentioned I have found all around access to be a welcomed luxury.

I'm 5'9" and prefer a 30" deep bench. In my case shop size dictated it could be only 66" long.

Eric Wong
03-05-2007, 8:34 PM
My first bench was 24" wide, and it bugged me constantly. Now I have a 30" wide top, and its much better. But my situation is a little different in that my bench is fixed against a wall.

Gary Keedwell
03-05-2007, 8:47 PM
I have a 30 incher ( work bench....that is) and I work from all 4 sides. ( but usually 3 at a time.)

Gary K.;)