PDA

View Full Version : Chainsaw Question

George Tokarev
12-24-2006, 8:24 AM
Ian the Kiwi's response in the other thread provokes a question. Do any of you ever change the carburetor shield from "summer" to "winter" if so equipped? Won't change starting characteristics, might keep the mixture a bit leaner while running, but all it seems to me is an opportunity to overheat next spring when you forget to unblock. Is there a gain worth the risk?

Dennis Peacock
12-24-2006, 8:50 AM
George,

Haven't done it yet, but my Stihl manual says to change it when the temp is below 50º F or was that 40º F....Oh well to early for me yet. :D

Jim Becker
12-24-2006, 10:28 AM
Dennis...you read the manual?? Geepers...what kind of techie geek are you? (I didn't even know there was anything to change on my Stihl when the temps drop...)

Dennis Peacock
12-24-2006, 3:34 PM
Dennis...you read the manual?? Geepers...what kind of techie geek are you? (I didn't even know there was anything to change on my Stihl when the temps drop...)

ROFL!!!!! Well, let's just say that I needed something to read after I had read all my current WW'ing rags about a dozen times each, so the Stihl manual was close by and I started reading. :rolleyes: ;)

Ian Abraham
12-24-2006, 4:24 PM
I never switch mine to the 'Winter' position, it just doesn't get that cold here. But if you are sawing in below freezing weather you could get the carby icing up on you if you dont change it over.

If you dont saw in the real cold, leave in on summer ;)

Cheers

Ian

John Shuk
12-24-2006, 4:43 PM
My buddy and I asked the Stihl dealer about that and they really didn't think it is neccessary. I've never had a problem either.

Jon Shively
12-24-2006, 5:19 PM
Yep, change mine over. Just did that the other day in fact. Don't worry to much about overheating in the summer as I blow the saw off with the air hose about once a month. Then I blow the air filter out and such, so see that black piece of plastic regularly. Seems to help it run smoother in really cold weather.

George Tokarev
12-25-2006, 8:08 AM
Yep, change mine over. Just did that the other day in fact. Don't worry to much about overheating in the summer as I blow the saw off with the air hose about once a month. Then I blow the air filter out and such, so see that black piece of plastic regularly. Seems to help it run smoother in really cold weather.

Compressed air is an excellent reminder for those that don't use it. When the saw starts accelerating slowly and gagging from being too rich it's usually that filter, not the valves.

The old type filters with their mesh construction benefited greatly from regular, though from a foot or two away, inside out blast. New ones with the felt don't seem to clean that well even when - Polish you know - you read and follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

I'll have to try the shield. Been cutting almost ten winters with this saw and never used it.