PDA

View Full Version : Shop Smoke Detector Question

John Weber
02-26-2003, 2:01 PM
A couple years ago I installed a direct wired smoke detector in the shop. This week it has taken to going off at random. Before it would occasionally sound if I forgot to turn on the air cleaner while I was sanding. I assume it is shot. Does anyone make a good smoke detector for a shop environment? I need to do something soon, as all the ceiling outlets are on the same circuit and if the smoke detector is off so is the air cleaner.

Thanks - John

Dave Anderson NH
02-26-2003, 2:31 PM
is whether or not the detector is of good quality. I have a hardwired smoke detector in my machine room and a CO detector in the bench room where my woodstove lives. The smoke detector occasionally goes off by itself when the dust level gets too high or it gets too dirty. It also alarms when the relatively humidity gets too low in the house and the air is prone to static. This occurs in the winter and the best solution is a good cleaning to remove the buildup of dust on the unit.

Bob Lasley
02-26-2003, 2:43 PM
My direct wired detectors in the house also have battery backup and will sound off randomly when one of the batteries gets low. I don't know if all direct wired detectors have battery backup or not.

Just a thought,
Bob

Todd Burch
02-26-2003, 5:31 PM
I decided to install a couple fire detectors instead of smoke detectors. No problems so far after 15 months.

Todd.

Ron Jackson
02-26-2003, 7:11 PM
I agree.... I installed two 180 degree heat detectors and have had no problems. Ionization type smoke detectors are affected by even small amounts of dust. Try the "heat" units.

ron (should be out there working, right now!)

Paul Kunkel
02-26-2003, 7:31 PM
I agree.... I installed two 180 degree heat detectors and have had no problems. Ionization type smoke detectors are affected by even small amounts of dust. Try the "heat" units.

ron
I don't have any because of these problems. Where do you get 'heat' detectors?

Ron Jackson
02-27-2003, 9:36 AM
Paul; Any company that installs fire and security systems in homes, will be able to furnish heat dectetors. I've never checked the big box stores, but they might have them. It's the same type unit that you would put above your cooktop in the kitchen. (not affected by grease and smoke associated with cooking) I really needed that for my wife's cooking.....she generates a lot of both ! :-)

CJ Conrad
02-27-2003, 10:41 AM
I agree that the solution is a fire (heat) detector. Any fire protection company should be able to steer you in the right direction. "Smoke" detectors are a poor choice for any dusty enviroment. The dust often clogs or clouds the sensor that "sees" the smoke (or in this case wood dust) in the air and then trips the alarm. The sensor cannot distinguish dust from smoke.

Rik Rickerson
03-01-2003, 12:46 AM
John,
I have direct wired smoke detectors in both the shop and finishing room. They are both the photoelectric type rather than ion detection - same as you place in a kitchen. I've yet to have either one go off yet. This site has some good info:
Selecting and Installing the Right Smoke Detector (http://www.pep-c.org/smokedetectors/)