PDA

View Full Version : Plane Education

Gary Groves
12-23-2006, 9:59 PM
I remember reading a really indepth tutorial of various planes a long time ago. I can't remember who wrote it, but it was very well done with pictures. Does anyone remeber who wrote it? I don't seem to pull anything up from that long ago. I think the guy who submitted it built boats too if that helps, but, like I said, its been so long ago, and I've slept since then.:rolleyes:

jonathan snyder
12-23-2006, 10:10 PM
Gary,

Sound like it may have been Bob Smalser. He has written a-lot of great articles. Check this link, http://www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodDocs/Wood_How_To/INDEX_How_To.htm
several of his articles are here, or maybe PM him and ask.

Jonathan

Don Bullock
12-24-2006, 12:27 AM
What would be a good buy on starter block plane?

Adriaan Schepel
12-24-2006, 12:34 AM
The whole question of 'Which block plane?' opens a whole can of worms. Some will say 'Go with an old Stanley', others will say, 'Invest in a new LV or LN and you'll never look back.'

I've just recently acquired a couple of older block planes, inc a Stanley 60 1/2. This is a low-angle (12 degrees) plane. After a good soak in lemon juice, flattening the base and sorting out the blade, it's a real nice user. I'm a fan. I paid a little too much for it ($38) and later bought another one for $13 - which I think was probably cheap.

As others have said here before, it depends on how much cash you have, and what you want to do with the plane. I had a little cash, and a little more time, and so I took a punt on the vintage Stanley.

Cheers,
Adriaan

Ken Werner
12-26-2006, 5:25 PM
Several years ago I bought a brand new Record LA 60 1/2 block plane. A ww store was closing, and as I recall, I paid 1/2 price, or about $25. I thought it was great...at first. Never could get it right. The blade was thin, had little support, it was an ongoing exercise in futility, I could get it fair or ok, but never excellent. Took the plunge and bought a little iron LN 102 [or 103 - whichever is the LA] and could not be happier. Yes it's pricey, but it is one way to really feel what an excellent plane can do, and then strive to that with other older planes that you can get for less. BTW, the Record was sold on the bay...