PDA

View Full Version : Catalpa Wanted

Noah Alkinburgh
11-12-2003, 3:01 PM
Any of you out there make a pen from Catalpa? If so I would like to hear your thoughts and see your pictures. :D

I have had a request to make a pen from Catalpa, I thought I would check with you guys to see if any of you had any you would be willing to part with. Would pay or trade or just take your scap off your hands ;)

Shoot me an email or a PM....

Noah

Wolf Kiessling
11-17-2003, 4:08 PM
Any of you out there make a pen from Catalpa? If so I would like to hear your thoughts and see your pictures. :D

I have had a request to make a pen from Catalpa, I thought I would check with you guys to see if any of you had any you would be willing to part with. Would pay or trade or just take your scap off your hands ;)

Shoot me an email or a PM....

Noah

Plenty of catalpa in this neck of the woods. I turn and sculpt it all the time. Here are pix of a catalpa carving and turning (the pedestal on the bull is not catalpa, it is mesquite) Is this what you want?

Noah Alkinburgh
11-17-2003, 4:34 PM
Wolf,

First off, welcome back :)

Thanks for posting those pics. That bowl has quite the grain pattern. Is this typical for the wood? A couple of guys (Sparky and Terry) have been kind enough to send off a couple of pieces for me to play with.

I love this place...thanks so much for everyone being willing to share knowledge and even resources. It really makes for a nice community feeling.

Noah

Wolf Kiessling
11-17-2003, 8:40 PM
Wolf,

First off, welcome back :)

Thanks for posting those pics. That bowl has quite the grain pattern. Is this typical for the wood? A couple of guys (Sparky and Terry) have been kind enough to send off a couple of pieces for me to play with.

I love this place...thanks so much for everyone being willing to share knowledge and even resources. It really makes for a nice community feeling.

Noah

I sure hated leaving Corpus as I really love Padre Island but I don't love the humidity. That's why we left the Texas coast in the first place.

Yeah, the grain pattern is typical. You can see the bowl and the bull have pretty much the same pattern.

I guess you're in good shape for catalpa then. Didn't know that you had already been sent some. I thought you wanted to see what it looked like, that's why I posted the pix.

Oddly enough, I'm currently working on another catalpa bull, have him about half roughed out. Also have another catalpa bowl blank sitting in a bag on the shelf that I cut week before last. I'll be turning that after I get around to turning my new piece of big leaf maple, courtesy of Wally Dickerman.