PDA

View Full Version : new grizzly 12" jointer/planer combo

mike hopkins devon,pa
12-23-2006, 9:04 PM
While deliberating between 8" jointers, I started to give some thought to the 12" jointers by Griz & Yorkcraft. Now comes along this additional alternative which looks pretty sweet. Has anyone seen this up close, in action, or even seen any reviews on this new product?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0633/images/0

Jim Becker
12-23-2006, 9:10 PM
New Machine. I doubt there will be much "experience" with it out there. Very agressive pricing, however...it should sell well with folks that want a J/P combo but can't manage one of the Euro manufacturers.

John Hulett
12-23-2006, 9:19 PM
Is it just me, or is a 50" bed not long enough for this machine?

- John

Jim Becker
12-23-2006, 9:20 PM
John, 12" combos typically do have shorter beds, unfortunately...that was one of the reasons I went larger.

John Hulett
12-23-2006, 9:24 PM
Not just the bed... the fence is less than 40". Seems to somewhat diminish the reason for getting a larger jointer.:confused: Don't get me wrong... it'd be much nicer than my current 6" X5 Jointer.

- John

Kevin Murdock
12-23-2006, 10:37 PM
Is it just me, or is a 50" bed not long enough for this machine?

- John

Appears to be 59", the same as the Minimax FS30.

Todd Solomon
12-24-2006, 3:38 AM
While deliberating between 8" jointers, I started to give some thought to the 12" jointers by Griz & Yorkcraft. Now comes along this additional alternative which looks pretty sweet. Has anyone seen this up close, in action, or even seen any reviews on this new product?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0633/images/0

Mike, I like Grizzly jointers a lot, my 12" Grizzly Ultimate has been outstanding. Flattest , most parallel tables I've seen anywhere. It will be interesting to see how well this J/P works, I look forward to hearing about how users like it. There's a lot more to a combo J/P, than a standalone jointer.

Another option, if you have the cash, would be to step up to a Hammer 12" J/P, but it's about $3K. It comes with the Hammer/Felder quick-change cutterhead, which sets the knife height practically automatically. It's a safer bet, but is more expensive. It's the best bargain going for a true, made in Austria, euro J/P. A friend of mine has one and loves it, although he did struggle initially with quality issues (loose set screw and cutterhead pulley- all is resolved now).

If you get the Grizz, let us know how it performs.

Todd

Todd Solomon
12-24-2006, 3:39 AM
Appears to be 59", the same as the Minimax FS30.

Ya, kind of confusing. In one line, it says 50" x 12" tables, and in another it mentions a 59" footprint (what, including the crate??).

JayStPeter
12-24-2006, 8:40 AM
Hmmm, very interesting. I've heard rumors about it, but had no idea it was coming this soon.
I have been thinking about a 15" planer recently since the Hammer 12" j/p is $3K. This comes more into a price range that makes more sense for me (especially after selling my 8" jointer). It looks like it would be pretty easy to add the Hammer table extensions to this machine. Hopefully Byrd would come forth with a cutterhead before I had to adjust the knives too many times.
I will definitely put off my current plans and pay attention to this machine.

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-24-2006, 9:16 AM
I might have chosen that JP over my Austrian equipment for one simple reason. They put the Fence mount support in the exact correct place.
All the Euro JP combos have the fence mounted at the front end of the indeed table. Positioning the mount there is patently stupid and indicative of engineering sloth of the worst kind.
In other respects it is a clone of theEuro Combos. Whether it represents improvements elsewhere than the fence is another question.

Before I leapt onto the Grizz I think I'd ask what bearing classes are used and where. Bearings are at the heart of a planers performance. Grizz has has bearing issues with their band saws so I'd be a tad cautious being sure to demand answers.
Other than that one caution I think the machine looks like it ought to be a fine tool.

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-24-2006, 9:24 AM
Not just the bed... the fence is less than 40". Seems to somewhat diminish the reason for getting a larger jointer.:confused: Don't get me wrong... it'd be much nicer than my current 6" X5 Jointer.- John

I was a tad concerned about the bed and fence when I got my 12" JP combo.

They ended up being non issues for most of the work I do. Table length matters when you have long pieces and the weight becomes a problem. The Euro machine engineers contemplate their machines as being used with a power feeder. In that configuration the bed length is very much a non issue.

A short fence is I think less of an issue than the location of the fence mount and support. Grizz appears to have got it right on this machine.

Jim Becker
12-24-2006, 9:24 AM
Um, Cliff...the fence on my MM FS350 mounts to the outfeed side... ;)

John Renzetti
12-24-2006, 9:25 AM
Hi, The price is certainly attractive. From the pictures I can see some differences between this and the HAmmer A331 and the MM FS30. First the tables aren't as thick, the ribbing is shallow. The cutterhblock is standard. MM offers the Tersa and Hammer has their own quick change system. A insert cutterhead or a Byrd spiral would add about $400-500 to the price. You could probably add the capability for a table extension like the Hammer offers but again you are adding to the price. I know the Euro jointer guard on the MM and Hammer adds about $250 to the price. Hard to tell but the net weights of the Hammer and MM look to be about 200lbs more.
From a price point standpoint plus Grizzley's good reputation this machine looks good. If you want the insert cutterhead, need more weight, etc, the Hammer and MM are worth the extra money.
Hope everyone has a Great Christmas Holiday Season.
take care,
John

John Renzetti
12-24-2006, 9:29 AM
A short fence is I think less of an issue than the location of the fence mount and support. Grizz appears to have got it right on this machine.
Hi Cliff, I'd like to see the procedure for raising the tables on this machine. In the pictures it looks like the fence has been removed. I know on the Hammer you reposition the fence when lifting the tables, but you don't have to remove it completely.
take care,
John

JayStPeter
12-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Hi, The price is certainly attractive. From the pictures I can see some differences between this and the HAmmer A331 and the MM FS30. First the tables aren't as thick, the ribbing is shallow.

I guess something has to give to shave 1/3 off the price. I'm sure the motor is of lesser quality as well. I'm interested to see if there is a performance penalty. As you stated, it definitely lightens the machine significantly (which might be good for getting in/out of my basement :cool: ).

The cutterhblock is standard. MM offers the Tersa and Hammer has their own quick change system. A insert cutterhead or a Byrd spiral would add about $400-500 to the price.

For a 12", the byrd would be more expensive than that. But, I want one regardless of the brand, so it could be a non-issue assuming Byrd or Grizzly eventually offer one for it.

You could probably add the capability for a table extension like the Hammer offers but again you are adding to the price.

Since the table lengths appear to be similar to the Hammer, no negative here. It looks like the table extensions for the hammer could be adapted to any machine where the fence isn't mounted on the table end. BTW, inability to support an infeed extension ruled the MM out from my consideration.

From a price point standpoint plus Grizzley's good reputation this machine looks good. If you want the insert cutterhead, need more weight, etc, the Hammer and MM are worth the extra money.
Hope everyone has a Great Christmas Holiday Season.
take care,
John

So does Hammer offer a byrd (or byrd-like) option on their machines? I don't recall it in the catalog.
I know they have the self aligning (tersa?) knives standard. That's good, but I think I prefer a byrd type cutterhead. I know Byrd offers a replacement for the Hammer, but at significant additional cost. Looks like 12" byrd heads range from $900-1500. At this point I consider this a wash as it will be the same for either. But, if Hammer makes it an option at a lesser cost ...

JayStPeter
12-24-2006, 11:55 AM
Ooops, just saw there is a spiral insert version for an additional $500.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0634

Jeffrey Makiel
12-24-2006, 1:09 PM
This machine looks pretty good to me. I have an old 6" jointer and an old 12 portable planer. I'm also very tight on room in my small basement shop.

Something more to ponder over...

-Jeff :)

glenn bradley
12-24-2006, 1:35 PM
From Griz pages:

"Conversion from the jointer to the planer is easy. Just remove the quick release fence and flip up the jointer tables."

Joe Mioux
12-25-2006, 8:08 AM
This is a bit confusing.....

The Shipping Wight of the new Griz is 675 lbs while the Net Weight of the MM FS 30 is 650 lbs.

It also appears you get the slot mortiser table with the fs30 which isn't offered or even available on the Griz.

Any thoughts?

Joe

Curt Harms
12-25-2006, 10:21 AM
It looks like "Santa" Balolia has come up with an interesting christmas gift:D I see a couple of you have basement shops and are considering this machine. What kind of entrance do you have? I have a precast stair and 36" door at the bottom. I don't think I'd have issues with the dimensions, but how does one get a 670 lb. machine down and more importantly back up steps like this?

I'm guessing it wouldn't be too tough to remove the motor and perhaps the jointer beds. I wonder how much this would reduce the weight? The other option that comes to mind would be some sort of moving or rigging company. That'd raise the total price a fair bit, I'm guessing.

I wonder how long it'll take Grizzly to get the manual for this critter online? That might answer some questions.

Merry Christmas All

Jim Becker
12-25-2006, 10:29 AM
Curt...come-alongs and some strong friends to help you slide it down. Removing the motor would be fine...I certainly wouldn't remove the tables. Hiring a rigger for something this small may cost as much as the machine!

Curt Harms
12-25-2006, 12:19 PM
Curt...come-alongs and some strong friends to help you slide it down. Removing the motor would be fine...I certainly wouldn't remove the tables. Hiring a rigger for something this small may cost as much as the machine!

That's what I was afraid of. I'll have to ponder this. If the Bilco opening didn't open onto the lawn, it'd be simpler. Pondering.......

Curt

Chris Barton
12-25-2006, 12:30 PM
Boy that sure looks like the jointer/planer side of a Robland X31, just a little different paint and a few very minor changes.

Jim Becker
12-25-2006, 12:42 PM
If the Bilco opening didn't open onto the lawn, it'd be simpler.

Cheap plywood is your friend. Check out this thread by Rob Russell from awhile back on how he moved his machines down into the basement through and outside door similar to yours:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22620

Jeffrey Makiel
12-25-2006, 9:24 PM
I have a basement shop. I also have herniated discs in my back!

I don't even want to think about schlepping 650 lbs thru my living and down the stairs into the rec room, then into the shop. This is the deal killer for me.

-Jeff :)

Eddie Darby
12-26-2006, 10:17 AM
If you have the time and patience, you can move anything that breaks down into a basement. Have you heard the story about the guy who is in the Army and mails home a jeep?
I would get the PDF manual first, and then see how it breaks down, and plan my attack from there. Then you attack your plan.
If all else fails, then a case of beer should help get muscle to do the job.:D

Jim Becker
12-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Eddie is correct about thinking it through and having the right resources available. Even moving a large, heavy machine into a ground level shop off of a tilt-bed trailer that can even back right to the shop floor surface requires planning to pull off successfully. There certainly are situations where a particular machine will be impossible to place in a basement shop, but it is likely that it's possible more often than folks think.

Don Bullock
12-26-2006, 11:44 AM
For someone like me who doesn't have either a jointer or planer, this machine looks great. I will be very interested in hearing more about it and others like it.

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-26-2006, 12:01 PM
Hi Cliff, I'd like to see the procedure for raising the tables on this machine. In the pictures it looks like the fence has been removed. I know on the Hammer you reposition the fence when lifting the tables, but you don't have to remove it completely.
take care,
John

Well I only lookedt a the picture on the Griz site I expected the table to flip away from the fence mount but they don't. So the Fence muse be hunged to flip out and down.

If they were smart enough to have the thing nest in a V groove the thing will come back the Zero every time.