PDA

View Full Version : Replacement fiber bin for Gorilla DC?

Rick Schubert
12-23-2006, 8:54 PM
Any ideas for what type of store I could buy a second, new or used, 35 gal fiber bin for my Oneida Gorilla?

Thanks, Rick

Jim Becker
12-23-2006, 9:00 PM
ULine has them, but you'll be best served to try and find them locally 'cause the shipping can be as much as the barrel! Try the feed stores in your area. And if you have enough height, go for a 55 gallon one... ;)

Jamie Buxton
12-23-2006, 9:06 PM
Make one! I'm amazed that woodworkers buy a sawdust bin instead of building one. You have all the materials and knowledge right at hand to build a bin -- just use them! Make a rectangular box from plywood. Put wheels on it if you like. Put an acrylic window on the side so you can see when it is getting full. Easy!

Nancy Laird
12-23-2006, 9:45 PM
They are available at Woodworkers Supply - www.woodworker.com (http://www.woodworker.com)

Nancy

Bruce Wrenn
12-23-2006, 10:30 PM
Any warehouse that uses floor sweeping compound will have them for FREE! Local lowes used to, and still probably still does. They use sweeping comp. over in the concrete asile. Water definitely won't work here. Was in local plywood/ hardwood distributor on Thur, and they had a couple of them. Check with a local janitorial supply place, and see who they are selling to. They should be able to get you a couple of leads. Don't worry if lid is plastic, as this makes it easier to cut hole in top. You might want to consider a couple of metal garbage cans from Lowes. With a metal can, you put a hole in one top, and leave the other alone. When one on DC is full, exchange cans, and set full one out for pick up.

Dan Forman
12-24-2006, 4:25 AM
One word of caution, they do need to be airtight, so not everything will work. My understanding is that if any air gets in, it will disrupt the air column inside the cyclone, and not allow all of the dust to fall into the barrel.

Dan

Jim Becker
12-24-2006, 10:05 AM
Dan's correct. You need an absolutely air tight seal between the cyclone and the bin including the bin lid. If you do not have that, you are going to have major blow-by and plugged filters. You do NOT want that! Trust me... ;)

Thomas Canfield
12-24-2006, 10:12 PM
Make one from a 55 gallon plastic removable top drum. I picked up one that had worchestershire sauce in it for $10, but found it too tall for the latest installation. There were some bumped up sections (slightly larger diameter) that allowed cutting down the height and inserting the nominal diameter into the enlarged diameter and sealing with silicone caulk and a few screws. The one thing about the plastic drum was that there was a connection slightly off center that required installing the dust collector hose off center. I think that might actually be a small blessing since it changes the circular velocity and encourges the chips to settle. It has worked well. I inserted a 3" Wx 5"H plexiglass windowx just above the half way mark to help deternime when the drum is filling up. I did fill it too full once and had to clean chips out of the filter - quite a chore and one to be avoided.