PDA

View Full Version : Lions and Tigers and Lamps - Oh My!

Andy Hoyt
12-23-2006, 5:46 PM
Well, everyone else is making them so I thought I would give it a try - Dave Fried, December 22, 2006

I was thinking the same thing the other day. Never done one before and figured it was about time. Of course, that meant a trip to Wally World was in order to get the fixings - which in this household is a cardinal sin. Shhhhh!

Turned one which led to a bunch more (need to go back to WW for more fixings -- Shhhhh!) and discovered that they're not only quick, but fun. Just chucked 'em up and chased catches for a whole day. The pile of shavings on the floor was a woodturning rainbow.

53302 53303 53304

53305 53306

Dick Strauss
12-23-2006, 6:27 PM
Andy,
Are you planning a huge candlelight service at the Church of Moxie in the near future?

Great work!

Take care,
Dick

Paul Engle
12-23-2006, 6:41 PM
Nice stuff Andy, now scatter em around the back yard and lite em up :eek: , look great in the snow.They are great fun but WW..???? hmmm , I know , I know. wife sells Party Lite candles, WW is a no no around here also. Hey, Merry Christmas :D :D

Keith Burns
12-23-2006, 7:01 PM
Well Andy, I count 12 pieces. Pretty impressive, especially having to work on that Mayo spinner:D Great stuff:) :)

John Miliunas
12-23-2006, 7:18 PM
Fun, ain't they? :D Nice job, though I'd never be able to keep up to your pace! Sheeeesh....You gotta' a turbo charger on that Mayo or what? :) :cool:

David Fried
12-23-2006, 8:24 PM
I'd never be able to keep up to your pace!
No kidding! :eek: What is the caffine content of Moxie??? :confused:

Very nice Andy. I really like the Redwood one , it captures the essence of doughnutness. :D ( nice grain too )
Lighting them for the photo shoot is a great idea.

I gave the one I did to Lori today and got a hug! Woot! Woot!!

Steve Schlumpf
12-23-2006, 9:05 PM
Nice work Andy! Love the variety!

Jim Ketron
12-23-2006, 10:17 PM
Nice Job!
Told you guys they are addictive!
Fast turning and good practice for HF's.

Bernie Weishapl
12-23-2006, 10:33 PM
Andy those are some beauties. Nice work.

Karl Laustrup
12-23-2006, 10:38 PM
WOW! You're a whirling dervish when it comes to those lamps Andy. I suppose you had an I.V. hooked up so you wouldn't have to do all that mundane stuff, like eat, sleep etc. ;) :D

I would expect you have enough to set up a runway so the jolly old dude won't miss you tomorrow night. :)

Karl

John Hart
12-24-2006, 5:54 AM
All in a day's work eh? Cool!! Hey I really like that one on the far right...the long stemmed goblet-looking thing. Cherry, right? I like 'em all...But that one really caught my attention.:)

Blake McCully
12-24-2006, 9:34 AM
Just chucked 'em up and chased catches for a whole day. The pile of shavings on the floor was a woodturning rainbow.

Andy,
I not only love your turning, but your wit can't be matched. Great stuff.

Jim Dunn
12-24-2006, 9:45 AM
Real nice Andy. Oh by the way, you still taking your moxie intravenously??

Andy Hoyt
12-24-2006, 10:13 AM
Nope - Moxie is no longer delivered via IV. I now use a modified Trend Airsheld that atomizes it for inhalation while turning. Ahh, bliss!

Thanks guys. They are fun and while I was doing these I really wasn't paying attention to form and other important stuff. But today I'm gonna do two more (cherry burl) that I will be concentrating on most closely.

John just made me realize that I forgot to identify the woods for you. This will help.

Tom Sherman
12-24-2006, 1:14 PM
Very nice Andy, have a Merry Christmas

Dennis Peacock
12-24-2006, 3:32 PM
Very, very nice Andy!!! Looks like the Mayo knows how to spin some nice wood these days. :p :D

All of them are very pretty Andy. Congrats!!!!

Skip Spaulding
12-24-2006, 3:36 PM
Great Andy!! Thought as close as you live to the North Pole you might be into full time Toy Production this time of year! Have a Merry Christmas. Skip

Joash Boyton
12-24-2006, 6:10 PM
John just made me realize that I forgot to identify the woods for you. This will help.

hmmm.....what's the dunno wood eh? seems to come in 2 different variations:rolleyes:

Great work, some very nice finishes on their, looking good, keeps us outta trouble eh?!?!:D

Joash

Jim Underwood
12-24-2006, 6:23 PM
Nice turnings, and nice wood...

but what's wrong with Wally World?:confused: