PDA

View Full Version : Any woodworkers in/around Saskatoon or Edmonton?

Jesse Thornton
12-23-2006, 1:56 PM
Just wondering if there are any fellow woodworkers in or around the Saskatoon or Edmonton areas lurking in these forums. I'm currently living in Humboldt SK, about an hour east of 'toontown, but I spend a lot of time in the city and I also visit Edmonton quite a bit (I have family and friends there). I don't know very many ww'ers in this area, but I love talking shop, and my wife can only pay attention for so long!
We canucks are in the minority on this site (as to be expected), but I know there are a few others out there! I'm a pretty unintimidating guy, so drop me a line if you're in the vicinity.
And have a very Merry Christmas, eh!

Don Kondra
12-24-2006, 11:17 AM
Hi Jesse,

You're not alone :)

If you are not aware, the Saskatchewan Woodworkers Guild meets in Saskatoon on the third Thursday of every month, they average over 100 members attending...
http://www.saskwoodguild.ca/

And while you are in Edmonton you should check out The TU Gallery, some very fine work there...
http://www.tugallery.ca/

AND for the best selection of hardwood in Western Canada, go visit W.G. Chanin Hardwoods at 14615 - 116 Avenue NW.

Cheers, Don Kondra

Jesse Thornton
12-30-2006, 2:25 PM
Hi Don,
I did know that there's a guild in Saskatoon, and if I was staying around longer I would definately join. My wife and I are planning to move out to BC in the summer, so I'm not sure that it would be worthwhile to join now. I've been doing a lot of travelling back and forth between Edmonton, Humboldt and Saskatoon this past year, and that's why I didn't join a year ago - though now I kind of wish I had anyway. Do you know if it is possible for a non-guild member to drop in on a meeting as a guest?
A friend in Edmonton was just recently telling me I had to check out Chanin Hardwoods right after I bought a bunch of maple and walnut from PJ White. I'll have to check them out next time I'm in town. And I'll definately check out that gallery too, it looks like a good one.
I was just on your webpage browsing your work - beautiful! Very impressive in both design and execution. I see that you teach woodworking - where and how often to you hold classes?

Regards,

Don Kondra
12-30-2006, 3:08 PM
Hi Jesse,

No problem dropping in to a guild meeting, all are welcome. I would also encourage you to bring something for the show and tell...

As far as workshops go, I mostly do them through the guild. They do the send around a sign up sheet thingee at the meetings, when it's full I arrange a date convenient to all, now that is a workshop in itself :)

Then I also do private workshops, usually at the convenience of the client. Usually it's one on one and I can tailor the subject matter to their specific needs.

Now why would you want to leave the snowy north for the rainy coast?

Cheers, Don.