PDA

View Full Version : Computer Firewall Protection

Jeffrey Makiel
12-23-2006, 1:33 PM
I have Zone Alarm firewall on my computer, but I believe it was often and randomly preventing me from my wireless network. I've since uninstalled it and my computer is now accessing fine. So, now I'm using the default Windows firewall.

Is Windows firewall any good? Any other recommendations?

-Jeff :)

Art Mulder
12-23-2006, 2:16 PM
Jeff, You need to provide a bit more info on your network topology to get intelligent and usefull comments.

Is your setup like this:
Internet -> Cable/DSL Modem -> Router/Switch -> (wireless) -> PC

Or is it like this:
Internet -> Cable/DSL Modem -> PC -> (network shared out) -> Router -> (wireless) -> other PC's.

My setup is like the first one. I depend on the firewall built in to my router/switch. It blocks ALL inbound traffic except to a few network ports that I have enabled. By default, it blocked everything. This has been all that I have needed for my home network. (I don't use Windows now, but I used to 2yrs ago. I use Mac/Linux at home.)

If you have a setup like the second approach, my first recommendation is to STOP and change it to the first arrangement, if possible. Router/switches are pretty cheap these days. If not possible, then yes, you are going to need some good firewall software.

...art

Rick Doyle
12-23-2006, 2:49 PM
Hi Jeff,

I agree with Art - if you have a router installed then you should be ok. I'm assuming that since you have a home network that you probably do have a router - if not, you might want to pick one up cheap after Xmas!

As for the Windows Firewall, it's o.k. but both Norton and McaFee anti-virus software prefer to disable the Windows Firewall in favour of their own - so, if you are using either one of those anti-virus programs, then I would just go with what they recommend you use.

Ian Abraham
12-23-2006, 5:26 PM
The weakness of Windows Firewall is that it doesn't monitor outgoing traffic very well. If does a good job of protecting the PC from incoming connections, but if you accidentally download a trojan program it may not prevent it phoning home and granting someone remote access to your PC.

Another option is to grab an old PC and set up a hardware firewall.
This can be any old Pentium grade PC and the software is free††† at http://www.smoothwall.org/

"††† Free as in beer, libre, freedom. "

This PC has 2 network cards and sits between your modem and the rest of your network. You can then configure it to block EVERYTHING that you dont want to pass through. The smoothwall runs under Linux, but you dont need to know any linux to set it up. The PC boots from the downloaded CD image, goes through a simple menu to install, then you manage it via a web browser interface.

Internet -> Cable/DSL Modem -> Smoothwall -> Router/Switch -> (wireless) -> PC

Cheers

Ian

Allen Bookout
12-23-2006, 8:53 PM
Jeffrey,

I agree, a router makes a pretty good hardware firewall.

To test your security this is a good service: http://www.grc.com/default.htm

Go to ShieldUp that is part way down the page. Here is the ShieldUp page. http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2 Under "ShieldsUP!! Services" click on what you want to test. File Sharing-Common Ports-All Serivce Ports-ect. I might suggest to test All Service Ports to start with.

Jim Becker
12-23-2006, 9:45 PM
The Windows firewall is a "one way" firewall and thus, only gives you half the protection you need. ZoneAlarm, when set up propertly, should not prevent you from accessing your local network. You need to tell it what your local zone (IP range) is. ZoneAlarm Pro also offers a host of additional features if you are currently using the free version.

I don't agree that the router is all you need...many of the current threats are not "inbound", but outbound after you get hit by a trojan or other nefarious piece of code. A software firewall like ZoneAlarm or the equivalent helps to prevent that situation. ZA isn't the only game in town, however...AVG now has a full suite (http://www1.grisoft.com/doc/products-avg-internet-security/lng/us/tpl/tpl01) of protection. I use their virus protection and anti-spyware feature and would consider the rest if I didn't already own a ZA Pro license.

Jack Dickey
12-24-2006, 8:59 AM
I had problems with Norton and Symantec .. IMO they're trash ..
My current ont one is VCom's SystemSuite5 .. There is a Suite7 out now ..

Jack Howser
12-25-2006, 8:36 PM
Zone Alarm should work with a wireless router. Have you checked in Zone Alarm to see if you've granted permission to your wireless card program to make contact with the router?