PDA

View Full Version : Making a pitch....er

Ron Coleman
12-23-2006, 12:44 PM
A new piece, a walnut pitcher with curly maple accents. The main form was hollowed as one piece and the maple accents were just glued in shallow grooves. The handle and foot are beech done in black lacquer. The whole piece is done in clear lacquer. About 16 inches tall. Enjoy. Comments welcome.

http://mrcol.freeyellow.com/turning-stuff/pitcher.jpg

Kurt Rosenzweig
12-23-2006, 12:58 PM
Very Graceful Ron! I like it alot. What hollowing system are you using?

Tyler Howell
12-23-2006, 1:04 PM
Bravo Bravo
Awesome.

Ron Coleman
12-23-2006, 2:20 PM
Very Graceful Ron! I like it alot. What hollowing system are you using?
Thanks Kurt.

I'm using a home brew version of the Jamison stabilizer system. It's just welded up from 1" square tube and flat stock. I can reach almost 24 inches inside a piece.

Ron

Bernie Weishapl
12-23-2006, 4:28 PM
That is beautiful Ron. Nice work. I like it a lot.

Scott Donley
12-23-2006, 5:07 PM
Just really, really , reallllly nice.

Paul Engle
12-23-2006, 6:53 PM
Ron , nice home run !!! super look and shape . ( there goes the bar again, I'll never find it}:eek: . Very classic shape and the use of the curly accents is perfect nice effort :D

John Miliunas
12-23-2006, 6:53 PM
fsdfdgadf;slghbbcz ;aldfb afdbdf/sdf

Oooooooooooooops...Sorry. My jaw just hit the keyboard! :eek:

That's beautiful, Ron! I seriously love that piece. For yourself, for someone special, for sale???? Whomever ends up with it is one lucky soul. :) The form and inlay, IMHO, are great but, that handle really sets the piece off something fierce. I love it! :) Great job, Ron! :) :cool:

Keith Burns
12-23-2006, 6:57 PM
Ron, this is a very impressive piece. Not only the skill to hollow that deep but the details are great:) :)

Dennis Peacock
12-23-2006, 6:58 PM
Very, very pretty piece. Wonderful!!! :D

Travis Stinson
12-23-2006, 7:28 PM
Very elegant and graceful. I love the slanted rim. :cool:

Ron Journeau
12-23-2006, 8:18 PM
what they said...inspiring piece,Ron

Mark Cothren
12-23-2006, 8:19 PM
Yep, that's a dandy! Elegant is a great adjective for this one...

Lou Morrissette
12-23-2006, 8:24 PM
Very gracefull lines. The whole thing just flows. Nice work.

Lou

David Fried
12-23-2006, 8:29 PM
It's really stunning! Great job!! Someday, maybe ....

Steve Schlumpf
12-23-2006, 9:21 PM
Absolutely beautiful work Ron! Great form, color and inlay. Really like the slanted rim but the black handle sets it apart from anything I have seen before! Seriously beautiful work!

Raymond Overman
12-23-2006, 9:31 PM
Excellent piece Ron. That's very nice.

Ron Coleman
12-23-2006, 9:34 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments everyone. This piece took its time getting to the form you see. It started life as a vase that looked too bland with all the straight grained walnut. It spent about three years behind the workbench till I was inspired to finish it. Just waiting for the right idea to strike. ;)

My wife has it sitting on a display cabinet in the kitchen where all my new pieces go on display. Maybe when Christmas is over it'll make it into the living room where the good stuff goes. :D

Ron

Jim Becker
12-23-2006, 9:47 PM
Ron, that is absolutely lovely!! Wonderful!

Andy Hoyt
12-23-2006, 9:48 PM
Man, that is fantastic Ron. Bravo!

Any chance you could share with us your methodology used for connecting the handle to the vessel.

Ron Coleman
12-23-2006, 10:04 PM
Man, that is fantastic Ron. Bravo!

Any chance you could share with us your methodology used for connecting the handle to the vessel.

Thanks Andy.

The handle was attached using 30 minute epoxy. The hard part was getting the fit just right on the compound curved surface at the bottom and the cylindrical neck. I used a combination of small sanding drums on the drill press with a lot of checking to get the fit. I used epoxy for its gap filling qualities as the center of each glue pad is undercut. I made a little cradle to hold the pitcher laying down so the handle wouldn't slide around while the glue set.

Ron

Jim Ketron
12-23-2006, 10:04 PM
Beautiful Ron!
Great looking piece!

Gary Herrmann
12-24-2006, 12:43 AM
Wow. Very nice lines. Maybe I can try something like that in a year or a decade or so...

John Hart
12-24-2006, 5:42 AM
My first thought was...Striking! And then I agreed with what everyone else said.:)

George Tokarev
12-24-2006, 8:17 AM
Hints on how you do the handles? I've tried the easy way, with filed flats, the fiddle way with templates and gouges/rifflers, even a sort of combination involving stickyback sandpaper and advancing a handle blank into the rotating piece.

Mostly I'm disappointed with the final fit, and end up having to touch it up.

Ron Coleman
12-24-2006, 10:48 AM
Hints on how you do the handles? I've tried the easy way, with filed flats, the fiddle way with templates and gouges/rifflers, even a sort of combination involving stickyback sandpaper and advancing a handle blank into the rotating piece.

Mostly I'm disappointed with the final fit, and end up having to touch it up.
George

This is the first handle I've done on a piece and it was mostly trial and error fit using small sanding drums on the drill press. I ended up with a good fit around the edges with the center of each glue pad hollowed out. Used epoxy to make the final joint and fill the gap under each pad.

Ron

Tom Sherman
12-24-2006, 1:22 PM
Ron, I find it hard to come up with an adjective that has not been used. All I can say is excellent work. Very nice piece. If it does not make it to your living room send it to me I have a nice place to put it.;)

Skip Spaulding
12-24-2006, 3:27 PM
There goes that bar just a little higher again! BEAUTIFUL!! Skip

George Tokarev
12-25-2006, 8:20 AM
This is the first handle I've done on a piece and it was mostly trial and error fit using small sanding drums on the drill press. I ended up with a good fit around the edges with the center of each glue pad hollowed out. Used epoxy to make the final joint and fill the gap under each pad.

That would be trial and accidental success? No room for error.

Pretty much describes the way that works best for me, though seldom up to close scrutiny so far. Going to revisit the lap method with sandpaper sticking to the shape and a better hold for the handle blank next time I do one. Ive done it only on whimsical turnings rather than art types that will get close looks so far. Working up to it.