PDA

View Full Version : Minimax MM16 disappointment

Dave Bonde
12-23-2006, 11:59 AM
I finally received my new MM16 and after setting it up the saw will not start. I checked the voltage and it is correct and the 3 micro switches seem to be working. When I push the start button I can hear a click and a buzzing sound in the switch that makes me think the switch is getting power and working correctly. When I open the doors it does not click or buzz. I called Minimax and they are closed. After waiting more than 30 days after the expected delivery date and wanting to resaw a lot of material on my Christmas break I am disappointed to say the least. Any suggestions from the Creek. Dave

Bernhard Lampert
12-23-2006, 12:31 PM
Dave,
Sorry about the saw. Probably is just some minor, pesky problem.
I assume you checked the obvious things first (power to the saw, is it 110 or 220).
Here are a couple of suggestions. All of them have happened in my shop one time or another:
- Check continuity of EACH micro switch -or- tempraraly just jumper them
- Does the motor have a thermal overload that tripped during transport
- Are all doors closed and actually trip the switches?
- Is the saw wired correctly? If it is a 220V , It may be an additional blue wire (Neutral, requiren in Europe) that should be left disconnected.
-Check the motor plate to make sure that youy received the correct model (220 vs 110 vs 3-phase).

Good Luck and Merry Christmas!

Bernhard

Bartee Lamar
12-23-2006, 12:32 PM
Make sure the red stop button is pull ALL the way out.

I do not think that is the problem since it is making some noise, but it happened to my on my Laguna.

Todd Solomon
12-23-2006, 12:36 PM
Sorry to hear that, Dave.

Have you double-checked that you have it wired correctly?

Barring that, MM has struggled with switch reliablity on their bandsaws. Subscribe to the Mini Max user's group and ask there, you may get some good help. A number of fellas have been in your boat:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/MiniMax-USA/

Once you get this resolved, you're gonna love that machine. I have one too, it's been in service for 5 years without an issue.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Todd

Ken Garlock
12-23-2006, 12:39 PM
Hi Dave.

Try unplugging the saw, and popping the lid on the switch box. Then check to see if there are any wires that can interfere with the movement of the magnetic relay switch. Also check that the actual push button is moving freely. By freely I mean that the button has no resistance to it movement. If it has any, you might use just a single drop of sewing machine oil on the shaft of the push button, and work the button in and out several times. There will be those that will claim foul for using oil, but sewing machine oil is made to work in a dirty environment. Also, the switch housing should be relatively clean compared to the workings of the saw.

I have also found that some magnetic relays are real tender about how tightly the cover is screwed down. When you replace the switch 'lid' make sure that the lid does not press on the wiring and in turn prevent the relay from working.

One more obvious thing is to be sure you are actually wired up correctly for 240V.

I bought my MM16 3 years ago, and, IIRC, I had a minor annoyance with the switch.

You will find that you have a good rugged saw, don't be put off by something that should have been checked at the factory, or even happened during shipment.

Merry Christmas,

Dave Bonde
12-23-2006, 1:16 PM
Thanks for the fast replies guys. The problem was the switch. I took the cover off and something was preventing the switch from being fully engaged. I cleaned it up reassembled it. It is still a little sticky but at least it works. I will post a review when I have had a chance to use the saw a bit. Dave

lou sansone
12-23-2006, 1:46 PM
hi dave
congrats on the saw. isn't smc a great place ! you can ask questions and get answers right away.
best wishes with the new saw
lou

Don Bullock
12-23-2006, 8:07 PM
Congratulations Dave. I'm glad to hear that your saw is now running. Enjoy your Winter Break with your new machine.

Rick Cabot
12-23-2006, 8:19 PM
Hi Dave
Congratulations on a great saw. I have the MM16 in our shop and experienced the same problem. After working for awhile, the saw will probably die again. The issue is with the amperage of the switch itself. Take the faceplate off the switch and you will find a dial that lists a range of amperages. If your switch does not have a high limit of 30, then the wrong switch was installed (a common problem). Call minimax and have the switch replaced. If memory serves me I set the amperage dial at around 25. Hope this helps.
Regards, Rick Cabot

Michael Keating
12-23-2006, 8:32 PM
Hi Dave,

I had the same thing happen to me when I got my new saw. They had to send me a new switch and it worked like a charm ever since. It is very disappointing that for the money MM can not fix this switxh problem. This is the 5 or 6th one this year I have heard about. All with the MM-16.

Once you get the new switch you should be OK.

Mike