PDA

View Full Version : Hollowing Tool

roy knapp
12-23-2006, 9:01 AM
If you had only One bowl hollowing tool what would it be??:) :confused: :)

Dennis Peacock
12-23-2006, 9:06 AM
The Lyle Jamieson captured hollowing system. Love it!!!

Chris Barton
12-23-2006, 9:42 AM
I have the Kelton system that is comprised of a very heavy handle and a variety of inserts that can be used for coring, scraping, and hollowing. I really like it and find it to be the most versatile system available.

Kurt Rosenzweig
12-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Merry Christmas present from me to me!:D Just ordered the Clark System.
I'll let you know shortly.

http://www.theokspindoctor.com/graphics/hollowtr.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
12-23-2006, 10:41 AM
I am like Chris B. I ordered the Kelton system. I have the mini's and the 5/8" with some long healthy handles. They work great and am extremely happy with them. Some day will make a capture system for them.

Jim Becker
12-23-2006, 10:48 AM
Bowl hollowing or hollow-form hollowing? For the former, my Elsworth gouges. For the latter, my Jamison captured system. They are different operations and I use different tools for them.

Sparky Paessler
12-23-2006, 10:54 AM
I would have to say my Jamison rig with the laser pointer. Works great!

John Hart
12-24-2006, 5:39 AM
I guess I'd have to say...A homemade, captured scraper system....with adjustable positioning....wide variety of tool rest shapes.... and deep reach.

Jim Becker
12-24-2006, 10:19 AM
Roy, to clarify my original post...the captured systems are scraper based and generally cut best in end-grain like you would have with most hollowforms. They can be used for face-grain, but may require a lot more cleanup work due to the nature of the way the fibers get cut.

Ron Journeau
12-24-2006, 10:24 AM
I have been looking at the monster tool setup lately...any pros or cons that someone might know of?

Paul Geer
12-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Merry Christmas present from me to me!:D Just ordered the Clark System.
I'll let you know shortly.
http://www.theokspindoctor.com/graphics/hollowtr.jpg

Thanks for the image, give us begainer bowl turnners a chance to see whats out there.

Joe Melton
12-24-2006, 12:19 PM
That Clark system, if that is what is pictured, looks like cheating to the extreme!
Why not just hook it up to an NC computer and watch TV while the hollow form is being made? Where is the drama? The action?:rolleyes:
Joe

Kurt Rosenzweig
12-24-2006, 1:54 PM
I'd hate to miss This Old House! LOL! Only kidding Joe! It's not as automatic as it may look! A lot easier yes. It's the only way I can see hollowing something over 8" deep without hurting yourself or 2 piecing it. You would need forearms like Popeye and several bricks in your pockets to even think about it. It's more of a safety issue in my mind then being lazy. Not saying that I have never been accused of that a time or two! :D It's no different then any of the other deep hollowing systems in form of operation. JMHO. Hey Paul! How did you get the picture to show up in you post and I couldn't? I must be doing something wrong. Merry Christmas Everyone!

Rich Anema
12-24-2006, 2:06 PM
For a single tool rather than a complete system of tools I like the Trent Bosch total access hollowing tool. I know it's not a captured system but it works well on fairly deep vessels and I don't need any huge arms or stength to use it. I do not hollow all day long but can do a medium sized vessel without tiring.

Jim Becker
12-24-2006, 2:11 PM
Rich, I use the Trent Bosch tooling with my Jamison captive system... ;) It's a great alternative to the Jamison cutting system and both the straight and curved tools are "very stout"...

Paul Geer
12-25-2006, 7:33 AM
Hi Kurt, I used the "Insert Image" icon to fix it. Just made sure everything was typed right.

My nephew is getting intrested in bowl turning. He has done some spindle work and now wants to try his hand at turning bowls. So do I, having turned lamps and hollowed lamp bases, that's as close I have come to bowl turning. He will get a charge out of the photo I think.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family! :)

Sean Troy
12-25-2006, 1:18 PM
Any of the John Lea systems http://www.woodturningtools.net

Anthony Yakonick
12-25-2006, 2:57 PM
I must be a neanderthal turner, I just won't give up my Stewart tool!