PDA

View Full Version : Can you use the Beall on lacquer?

Bob Hallowell
12-23-2006, 12:12 AM
Or does the trioply take off all the lacquer? also what about ca? My loml just suprised my with a beall system!!

Bob

Dick Strauss
12-23-2006, 1:36 AM
Bob,
You can use lacquer with the Beall buff system. It works with any kind of finish I've tried. If you aren't careful, you can go right through the layer of lacquer with the tripoly. You can start with the white compound and follow with the wax step if you don't want to chance it. Start out with one of the pieces that isn't your favorite and make sure you don't let go at any time. Be prepared for lots of shedding the first time you load up the buffs with compound.

Congrats on the gift but you know "it didn't happen if we don't have a picture (ha-ha)!"

Merry Christmas,
Dick

Chris Barton
12-23-2006, 5:29 AM
Hey Bob,

The Beal works fine (great) with lacquer but, give it at least 24 hrs to completely cure from the last coat prior to using the Beal. If you buff too soon it just scrubs the lacquer into little balls of crud. Don't ask me how I know that...

Bob Hallowell
12-23-2006, 8:25 AM
Dick You were right, I looked like frosty the snowman. I should of had my daughter take a pic of me the lint was everywhere!

Bob

Dennis Peacock
12-23-2006, 9:10 AM
I looked like frosty the snowman. I should of had my daughter take a pic of me the lint was everywhere!

Bob

Nothing like southern snow in the winter time eh Bob? :p :D

Dick Strauss
12-23-2006, 7:01 PM
Bob,
I hope you are enoying your new toy (uh tool that is). You'll be amazed at how much better pieces look after having been buffed. Unfortunately it also shows off your sanding job. So, a good sanding job will look better but a bad sanding job will show every problem.

By the way, a word of caution here...don't buff anything with imperfection like voids in them with the white compound. It will leave a white residue in all the little nooks and crannies that are pretty hard to clean out afterwards.

Merry Christmas,
Dick

John Hart
12-24-2006, 6:23 AM
Bob,
I like to throw in another vote for the importance of cure time. Lacquer is funny stuff. (or maybe I just think it's funny after spraying it for a couple hours;) ). It gets harder and harder over about a week. Chris sez to wait 24 hours and I would consider that a minimum and does work pretty well...but after a week, all the movement in the lacquer should be complete and its total hardness is realized. Personally I usually hit the piece with a little steel wool just prior to buffing...but the steel wool is optional of course....and I don't always opt that way.