PDA

View Full Version : Checking Dewalt cordless drill brushes

Dave Falkenstein
12-22-2006, 11:30 PM
I have a well used Dewalt cordless drill, model DW980, 12 volt, 1/2" chuck, 3 speed. Today it spewed a bunch of black stuff out of the back cover vents. It looked and felt like carbon. I took the back cover off, but I cannot determine how the brushes can be removed to check them. I'm almost positive the brushes need to be replaced. The manual is no help. Can anyone tell me how to take a look at the brushes? Thanks.

Dave Falkenstein
12-24-2006, 3:17 PM
Bump, in the hope that someone has an answer. Merry Christmas!!!

Steve Clardy
12-24-2006, 3:26 PM
Sorry. No dewalt drills here.

Any screw plugs on the side in line with brushes?

Dave Falkenstein
12-24-2006, 7:06 PM
Steve - no screw plugs. The back cover comes off, and from there I'm stumped. There are two bent metal clips on what looks like brush holders, but I'm reluctant to bend them and screw it up worse. Thanks.

glenn bradley
12-24-2006, 7:31 PM
Both my corded and cordless DW's have no outside access for the brushes. The manual on the corded one does state that the gears should be greased when the body is disassembled for brush changes but gives no instructions as to how to do so. My bet is that if you open the clamshell, it will be pretty straight forward. I say this because they give detailed instructions on how to change a chuck but nothing on the brushes so I'm hoping it is easy enough not to require instructions . . . yeah, right ;-)

Dave Falkenstein
12-25-2006, 11:20 AM
Glenn - Thanks for trying. I have opened the back of the drill - took the back cover off. I'm a mechanical engineer by education, and I'm having a hard time seeing how in the world those brushes come out. I don't want to damage the drill. There are not visible fasteners - no screws or bolts holding the brush mechanism - or what appears to be the brush mechanism. I'm sure the solution is dirt simple, but... The mystery lingers. The good news is the Dewalt Service Center is open tomorrow!!!

glenn bradley
12-25-2006, 12:50 PM
Good luck Dave. I share your quandary of wanting to go ahead because "it must be obvious" and wanting to err on the side of caution and wait. As we both know, once the "trick" is revealed, there's nothing to it. Patience is a virtue.