PDA

View Full Version : Confetti Lamp

David Fried
12-22-2006, 5:10 PM
Well, everyone else is making them so I thought I would give it a try.

First try is Spalted Maple, 3 1/2" diameter, 2 1/8" high, Behlans Turners finish.
One Christmas present down, 8 million to go! :eek:

Thanks for looking.

Brad Kimbrell
12-22-2006, 5:14 PM
David,

That's a beautiful presentation!

The way that you centered the spalting / lamp really sets the piece off. It's obvious that you used both sides of your brain on this one.

Great job!

Ed Scolforo
12-22-2006, 5:57 PM
Very nice, David. I like the orientation of the spalting.

Christopher K. Hartley
12-22-2006, 6:00 PM
David that's a beauty! Love that spalting and the wood color.:)

Robert McGowen
12-22-2006, 6:44 PM
Nice choice on the wood. Simple design but the wood makes it one of a kind for sure! What are you going to say when people ask how you stained the wood that way?

Bob Noles
12-22-2006, 6:55 PM
David,

That one is a winner..... Excellent job and I really like the finish.

Corey Hallagan
12-22-2006, 6:59 PM
Very nice David. Those look great and the wood is really pretty!

Corey

Andy Hoyt
12-22-2006, 7:04 PM
Nice one, Dave.

Not sure why, but methinks I'll head down to Dunkin Donuts and pick up a couple of regulars with maple glazing.

Steve Schlumpf
12-22-2006, 8:14 PM
Wow Dave - what beautiful wood! Almost looks like you painted it!

Paul Engle
12-22-2006, 8:26 PM
Nice job on the lamps David:D . Let's see we'll need a tree 'bout 6 feet by 36 inches , should fit on Johns lathe and use battery powered halogen lamp, that oughta lite up the walk way :eek: . Oh lighthouse you say ... hmmmm

Kevin McPeek
12-22-2006, 8:46 PM
Looks very nice!! Great gift.
Did you bore a hole or hollow the whole thing?

David Fried
12-23-2006, 9:27 AM
It's obvious that you used both sides of your brain on this one.
Well, when you start with a half a brain you kinda, sorta have to!!

What are you going to say when people ask how you stained the wood that way?
I'll let them know how tough it is and that's why the price is so high. Wait, this is a Christmas present! Next time ...

I'll head down to Dunkin Donuts and pick up a couple of regulars with maple glazing.
Your usual, the number 5 special: extra large Moxie and a doxen Maple glazed Maple doughnuts with Maple Chips?

Almost looks like you painted it!
Shhhh .... what almost?

Nice job on the lamps David:D . Let's see we'll need a tree 'bout 6 feet by 36 inches , should fit on Johns lathe and use battery powered halogen lamp, that oughta lite up the walk way :eek: . Oh lighthouse you say ... hmmmm
I have absoltuely no idea what you are talking about but since you mentioned John's lathe I will agree with you 200 percent!

Did you bore a hole or hollow the whole thing?
Kevin, You're killing me! Hollow it??? At my skill level it took three tries to drill a hole! Buit I must admit I was seeing Travis' sleek streamlined UFO hollow forms in my head when I was turning. As Andy notes, my hands are only capable of doughnuts. I would have gone thinner but I started to turn away the spalting so I had to stop.

Someday, when I get enough moxie, I'll make the pilgrimage to Maine, ply that Hoyt guy with Moxie, and see about this hollowing stuff.

To everyone else, thanks for the kind words .

Bernie Weishapl
12-23-2006, 10:45 AM
David I like it. I need to get into making a half million or so of them.:eek: ;) Nice job.

Dennis Peacock
12-23-2006, 12:04 PM
Very pretty lamp. I really like the positioning of the spalt lines in this one. Really sets the piece off. Pretty indeed. :cool:

Scott Donley
12-23-2006, 5:19 PM
Just dang near perfect ! Only thing that would make it better would be if I owned it :D

John Miliunas
12-23-2006, 7:01 PM
Well now, if that was just a "try", I can only imagine what you'll come up with after a couple more "try's"! :D Wonderful job on it and, BTW, hollowing it out for the lamp is really pretty easy. Give it a "try"...I'm sure it'll come out great! :) :cool:

Keith Burns
12-23-2006, 7:26 PM
Excellent David :) :) Great job !!!!

John Hart
12-24-2006, 6:11 AM
Almost looks like you painted it!

Shhhh .... what almost?

A paint job that only nature can make!;) Beautiful piece Dave!!:)

Tom Sherman
12-24-2006, 1:06 PM
An excellent gift for sure, one to bring many comments on craftsmanship.