PDA

View Full Version : Online Software Vendors

Dan Bundy
12-22-2006, 4:45 PM
Anyone have any knowledge of either of these two software vendors:

techkappa.com

eonlinesales.net

Both have really good prices on current versions of Adobe software and they "look" legit but I'm aware that if something looks too good to be true ...

If you're not familiar with them, can you point to a site or something that might let me check them out. Neither site has a state listed so I can't figure out how to check with a BBB.

Barring that, any trustworthy sites you can recommend for purchasing Adobe software at bargain prices?

Merry Christmas. Dan

Joe Pelonio
12-22-2006, 4:59 PM
I checked one of those you looked at and CS2 is 10% of the place I'd normally recommend, Tiger Direct. Certainly a big difference for a box and CD rather than download. Something sure seems fishy about it. You cannot register the software with the manufacturer and updates are not available not for all the products, you do not receive printed license documentation nor a copy of the software on a disk. I think I heard about this, where it's legal is they buy a multi-PC license, like they were a big company needing it on a lot of people's desks, then sell up to that number of copies by download. I'm guessing that Adobe wouldn't like it but can't stop it.

You might try Amazon.com.

Jim Becker
12-22-2006, 5:52 PM
When you see "really low" pricing on packages that normally have a street price significantly higher...beware. They may not be legitimate copies. You lose in the long run, even if the software "works" on your PC...and you may even be subjecting yourself to potential prosecution if it is an illegal software copy. The Ts & Cs of both site you cite are "scary" to me...the first one rabidly claims what they are selling is legal in their FAQ...dubious to me...and the second's has a lot of disclaimers that are discomforting.

The one exception is that there are some firms that sell to accademia at very attractive prices if you can prove you qualify. I have access to CS2.3, for example, for about $385 if I wanted it because Dr. SWMBO is a member of the faculty of a major university. List is a grand.

Clint Jones
12-22-2006, 5:54 PM
I agree with Dan. I have not had experience with either companies but I work on computers and have a copy of Microsoft XP corporate edition, along with several other corporate copy programs on cd. These corporate programs let you install the software on as many pc's as you would like as long as you pay the inflated cost of the corporate edition. These cd's were made for corporations to purchase who have many pc's and dont want to pay the cost of software for each individual pc. I dont think that you are supposed to resale the programs so I would stay away from companies like that because you will not be able to register the software and be eligible for any updates. I would go ahead and fork over a little extra $$$ for a legit copy that way you will be able to update if the version becomes outdated or if there are any security updates.

Dan Bundy
12-23-2006, 9:12 AM
Thanks guys.

As I said, I figured that if it's too good to be true, it probably is, but I thought I should ask around.

I've got a niece in college. Maybe I can go academic discounts before she graduates in May.

Merry Christmas, DB