PDA

View Full Version : What carpet for a basement?

Brian Elfert
12-22-2006, 10:10 AM
I'm selling my house and need to carpet the basement that is currently my shop.

Any suggestions on what type of carpet I should install in my basement? Moisture is not a concern as the house is fairly new and I have two part epoxy on the floor now.

I imagine the basement would become a family room, play room, or media area for a new owner. I am thinking a medium nap carpet that isn't anything fancy. I want something that is inexpensive, but doesn't look like I cheaped out either. The rest of the house has a fairly high level of finish and I want the basement to reflect that.

Brian Elfert

Nancy Laird
12-22-2006, 10:14 AM
Brian,

Believe it or not, Lowe's has some pretty decent carpeting for very good prices. We put an indoor-outdoor in our laser shop about 4 months ago and even with all the traffic through there, it still looks good. You can find some pretty patterns and weaves in berber-type carpeting there too. For the basement, I'd recommend a berber-type or even an indoor-outdoor, as it will dress up the place but still look like a more-utilitarian space than the rest of the house. Then a buyer can decide how to proceed to using it. Just my .02.

Nancy

Randal Stevenson
12-22-2006, 10:31 AM
If your going to carpet, use a neutral color. Since your color may not be theirs, I would say just give a carpet allowence. Who knows, they may be like us and want a SHOP, not a playroom.

Art Mulder
12-22-2006, 11:00 AM
I'm selling my house and need to carpet the basement that is currently my shop.

Any suggestions on what type of carpet I should install in my basement? Moisture is not a concern as the house is fairly new and I have two part epoxy on the floor now.

I imagine the basement would become a family room, play room, or media area for a new owner. I am thinking a medium nap carpet that isn't anything fancy. I want something that is inexpensive, but doesn't look like I cheaped out either. The rest of the house has a fairly high level of finish and I want the basement to reflect that.

Brian Elfert

I'm with Randal. I'd want a shop.

Even if I didn't want a shop, I would NOT want carpet over concrete. I've been in far too many musty basements. The only way I'd do it would be to put down a dimple membrane (like detla-FL) and then plywood, and then carpet. But I doubt you want to do that for a sale, since you probably won't recoup the cost.

Why do you say that you need to carpet it? Does the realtor really think that would help it sell better? I seriously would prefer an unfinished basement if I were buying. (A) I want a shop and (B) they never lay it out the way I'd want it done.

...art

Joe Pelonio
12-22-2006, 12:49 PM
We've discussed that too. My sign/laser shop here in the "bonus room" above the garage has late 70s shag! And it's Cocoa Brown!! We decided to keep it since I'll surely mess it up. When we get ready to move it will look horrible so we'll replace it before selling as you are doing, it will just show a lot better. When you have no idea what the people will use the room for, best to go with something that looks durable, not a plush carpet as would be in a living room, but a short nap, maybe an indoor/outdoor type or commercial kind of carpet which has the rubber mat built in under it.

Lee DeRaud
12-22-2006, 1:06 PM
Unless the walls/doors/ceiling etc are already finished out suitable for "living space", I wouldn't bother: putting carpet in an otherwise unfinished (or "shop-finished") basement isn't going to affect the sale.

Dan Mages
12-22-2006, 1:47 PM
My parents used commercial carpet tile in their basement. It was slightly unconventional, but it works wonderfully. It sticks directly to the concrete without any special glues and if part of the basement gets wet, you only have to rip out the damaged tiles. I have seen some at a local contractor's store for about $1 per sqft.

3cents... adjusted for inflation and fuel surcharges...

Dan

Brian Elfert
12-22-2006, 2:19 PM
Unless the walls/doors/ceiling etc are already finished out suitable for "living space", I wouldn't bother: putting carpet in an otherwise unfinished (or "shop-finished") basement isn't going to affect the sale.

Everything is finished in the basement except the floor. The walls/doors/ceiling are all done.

The realtor has highly recommended carpeting the basement so it can be considered living space. The extra value will certainly exceed the cost of the carpet and the molding. The entire basement is open except a storage room I built in one corner.

Brian Elfert

Brian Elfert
12-22-2006, 2:34 PM
I'm with Randal. I'd want a shop.

Even if I didn't want a shop, I would NOT want carpet over concrete. I've been in far too many musty basements. The only way I'd do it would be to put down a dimple membrane (like detla-FL) and then plywood, and then carpet. But I doubt you want to do that for a sale, since you probably won't recoup the cost.

Why do you say that you need to carpet it? Does the realtor really think that would help it sell better? I seriously would prefer an unfinished basement if I were buying. (A) I want a shop and (B) they never lay it out the way I'd want it done.

The basement was built with very good drainage. Drain tile inside and outside of the foundation and 9" of river rock under the floor that drains to the sump pit. It also has a very good two part epoxy on the floor that stops moisture from below.

The basement is fully finished except the floor. Adding carpet will make the basement liveable finished space. The value will increase by a fair amount more than the cost.

Nothing is being changed as far as layout of the basement. No new walls or anything. The open area is around 25 by 28 with a 8x10 storage room in the corner I built.

The basement is lousy shop space anyhow which is big part of moving. No way to get any sheet goods into basement without removing sliding window panes and also difficult to get tools down there.

Brian Elfert

Jim Becker
12-22-2006, 3:27 PM
Neutral color berber is what I put in my previous residence in the basement. It looks nice, has some character, but is also good for "recreational" areas.

Joe Mioux
12-22-2006, 9:55 PM

Agree with Lee.

Even if it is finished, the only thing I would do is make it spotless clean.

From experience, the new owners will change any and all of your decorating anyway.

joe

Jack Howser
12-25-2006, 8:42 PM
Brian, if you get any water in your basement it will ruin a carpet and the padding. I would use tile. It can look very nice, there are many styles to pick from. You can toss a nice rug on top to give the feeling of carpet. If there is any flooding, you can roll up the rug and move it. Clean up is easier too.

Tim Morton
12-26-2006, 6:28 AM
Neutral color berber is what I put in my previous residence in the basement. It looks nice, has some character, but is also good for "recreational" areas.

i concur~~~