PDA

View Full Version : Google Shows All Our Postings

James & Zelma Litzmann
12-22-2006, 8:51 AM
Keith,

I was wondering if you can tell me WHY, all the posting I'v done show up on Google. I tried others names and this does not happen, not even with you but all the posting I have put on Sawmill show up on Google when you type our name into Google.

Zelma

Ed Maloney
12-22-2006, 9:15 AM
My posting show up in Google.

Bill Cunningham
12-22-2006, 9:39 AM
Virtually all postings containing a keyword will show up on google.. Thats how I found this site to begin with.. Something I typed into google came up with a posting on here.. Can't remember what I was 'google mining' at the time though!

Karin Voorhis
12-22-2006, 9:49 AM
I too found the site by typing some laser engraving question into google. I am so happy it worked like that as I have gotten way more the my first question answered here. :D

Frank Corker
12-22-2006, 9:50 AM
We use google.co.uk (http://www.google.co.uk) but we don't get that until waaaaaayyyyyy down the list

Nancy Laird
12-22-2006, 10:23 AM
About 3 or 4 of my SMC postings show up on Google under my name. But so do about 500 other references to the same name. I don't let it bother me. If people want to find me, they will; I'm listed in the phone book and have three e-mail addresses under my name, so...

Nancy

Keith Outten
12-22-2006, 1:13 PM
Periodically the Google Bots will crawl SawMill Creek and gobble up threads and posts based on keywords. When this happens we normally notice a huge number of Guests and our server slows down as each new post is catagorized by the Google Bot.

Google has determined that our Forums have substantial information and their Bots crawl our Forums regularly. This is a good thing, it gets us world wide exposure and increases the number of woodworkers who will find and possibly join our Community.

The Bots will catagorize posts here in various ways. The cross referencing of each post or thread also is based on keywords. Obviously words like wood, woodworking, tools and other words like these will be included in the search engines more frequently than posts that do not contain these keywords. People's names are often picked up because their names are used in a thread that also contains specific keywords that are relative to our site content.

Zelma, since you frequent our Laser Engraving Forum the words laser, engraver, engraving, Epilog, Universal, Laser Pro, etc are so often used Google naturally has listed them as important keywords.

The world is watching and reading everything that is contained in our Forums here, that is why we average over half a million hits per day.

Larry Klaaren
12-22-2006, 2:22 PM
The Google Bots go everywhere. They go through my personal website, which has no useful information at all. I didn't really intend to put that site out for the public, but people find it on Google.

Larry

Mitchell Andrus
12-22-2006, 4:56 PM
Larry, you need to include a "robots.txt" file in your root directory. In it, you direct the searchbot which sub directories to ignore. You may say to every bot, "go away".

Search "robots.txt" for more info. You really DO have control.

My robots.txt keeps the bots out of my data storage areas such as bins, images, controls, etc., and leaves open my home page, where I place the important stuff that I want to have indexed. Google and the others encourage this file placement.

Robots.txt is a simple text file generated in notepad. Have a look at mine:

http://www.missionfurnishings.com/robots.txt

Hope this helps.

Mike Hood
12-22-2006, 11:50 PM
Having bots frequent your site is in now way a bad thing. It gets exposure and helps people find the forum when they have a question.

Dave Jones
12-23-2006, 12:31 AM
Google is also how I first found the Creek

Carol VanArnam
12-23-2006, 2:06 AM
I work for the state government and we use GOOGLE to find people who owe money because of legal actions against them. So just a warning- the government and possibly your next customer is checking you out. Watch what you post and don't post it unless you are willing to have the government, your friends and those that hate you read it.

Sorry- I don't want to scare anyone but I've worked for the government for 18 years. Eight hours a day my job is to find people and take their money. Think- if I Google you, find your name and company and then come after you with the power of the law would you be ok with that?

Just a note- if I was looking for you I would then go to your private info on this web page and use that to help find you..... hmmm, sorry if I've scared you but that is what I do for a living. Just want you to think about the power of Google.:mad: :mad: :mad:

James & Zelma Litzmann
12-24-2006, 7:56 AM
If you don't ask, you don't know. We don't have anything to hide, it is just that with the trouble we had with our machine, I was wondering . . . if that had something to do with it. After all is said and done, our machine, GCC's LaserPro, Explorer II is running like a charm, we could not ask for a better laser engraver.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas everyone!

God Bless,
J & Z

todd houston
12-24-2006, 12:39 PM
" Eight hours a day my job is to find people and take their money."
" Think- if I Google you, find your name and company and then come after you with the power of the law would you be ok with that?"[/quote]

Sounds like your, um. :rolleyes: Enforcing the law.

So would I be "ok with that?" Not if I was a Tax cheat, Deadbeat parent, criminal on the lamb or conspiracy theorist.:eek:

Wake up! the internet is by and large a "public domain"

Keith Outten
12-24-2006, 2:19 PM
If you don't ask, you don't know. We don't have anything to hide, it is just that with the trouble we had with our machine, I was wondering . . . if that had something to do with it. After all is said and done, our machine, GCC's LaserPro, Explorer II is running like a charm, we could not ask for a better laser engraver.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas everyone!

God Bless,
J & Z

I reliable Laser Engraver is a blessing :)

Doug Shepard
12-24-2006, 2:39 PM
I noticed the SMC Google threads months ago then had to remind myself - DOH! That's how I found SMC in the first place. But I also noticed that unless someone actually types your names in a post, those dont show up (or at least didn't when I checked). The username that shows up in the top left of each post appears to be a display-only value thrown up by the vBulletin software and isn't a text string that actually shows up as part of the post. Quoting someone's post DOES appear to treat the username as a text string and imbed it in the searchable text however. So finding 'John Doe' as a result of SMC Google visibility is unlikely unless somebody specifically refers to them in a thread or quotes them.