PDA

View Full Version : Wormy Persimmons Hollow Form

Mark Cothren
12-22-2006, 7:25 AM
This is some Persimmon that was salvaged from storm damage over a year ago. It was a large, old tree that had been doing battle with worms for a long time. That's why it gave up the ghost during the storm winds.

I turned the only solid piece of it I had right after I got it and gave it to the folks whose yard the tree came from. I turned another small bowl that was very wormy. During a show I participated in recently, that little bowl got lots of attention - and eventually sold. So I decided to tackle another piece of the wood.

This hollow form ended up 8" tall and ~10" wide... I applied several coats of antique oil - the wood was like a sponge... after it cured good I went back with a few coats of Deft... rubbed out thru 2000 and lightly buffed.

Debated/debating over a name for this one... for now, have decided on "Battle Scarred". Feedback/critique/suggestions welcomed and appreciated.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/WormyPersimmonHF03.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/WormyPersimmonHF02.jpg

JOHN VITOSKY
12-22-2006, 7:34 AM
Thats a beautiful piece and I like the name. Howd you keep that thing together and how long did it take you to turn it?

John Hart
12-22-2006, 7:44 AM
Battle Scarred is right! Wow. Mark, that is awesome. Nicely done. :)

Mark Cothren
12-22-2006, 7:56 AM
Howd you keep that thing together and how long did it take you to turn it?

I spent several hours turning this one, and then a lot more hours clearing all the tunnels with dental picks.

It was very soft on the bottom, so it got a heavy soaking in CA to stiffen it up, and it worked pretty good.

Mark Pruitt
12-22-2006, 8:31 AM
Man, what an interesting piece! I love it! Battle Scars is a great name.

Keith Burns
12-22-2006, 9:00 AM
Mark, words can't describe what I think about this piece:) :)

Mark Hulette
12-22-2006, 9:04 AM
Love it!! I had a piece that I was turning for some confetti lights with some wormies but it didn't have nearly as much character as yours!

Well done keeping it together and with the finish. Neat piece!

Jim Becker
12-22-2006, 9:22 AM
Ooooooooohhhhh! A WINNER! Awesome, Mark...you did a good thing with this wormy wood.

Pat Doble
12-22-2006, 9:30 AM
Fabulous looking piece. Another fitting name might be 'Pat Using His Skew':eek: .

Great job.

Dennis Peacock
12-22-2006, 9:37 AM
OUTSTANDING Mark!!!!!! That turned out beautifully!! Congrats my friend on a piece beautiful. :cool: :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
12-22-2006, 9:42 AM
Mark.....I'm really surprised by you.....one of those Southern Boys and turning such a defective product. Why don't you send it to me...........NAW! You've heard that line before.............

Very well done Mark! I'm sure that was a real challenge!

Terry Quiram
12-22-2006, 9:44 AM
Mark

Oh baby this is so awesome. Battle scarred is a great name. I turned some Persimmon once and it was a real snot ball. Was this piece messy?

Terry

Steve Schlumpf
12-22-2006, 9:49 AM
Mark - what an amazing piece of art you have created! Very well done sir!

Mark Cothren
12-22-2006, 9:53 AM
Thanks everyone!

Was this piece messy?

Man, this was a mess... I am very thankful for the Trend on this project... dust was EVERYWHERE... and I needed some wipers on the face shield to keep the worm "shavings" cleared....:eek: :D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-22-2006, 9:57 AM
Mark.........were the worms still at home while you were turning it? I turned a piece of mahogany that way. My wife made faces over that.

Paul Engle
12-22-2006, 9:57 AM
Nice job Mark. I kinda like " Resurrection:D

Andy Hoyt
12-22-2006, 9:58 AM
Okay - I got it.

Battle Scar Abstractica.

Wicked good piece, Mark.

Mark Cothren
12-22-2006, 10:01 AM
Mark.........were the worms still at home while you were turing it?

Yeah, when I started there were a few still at home... but they got eviction notices...;)

Joe Melton
12-22-2006, 10:59 AM
Wonderful, wonderful piece, Mark. That must have been great fun finding that inside a chunk of rotten wood. How about "Artist on Drugs"?
Joe

Gary DeWitt
12-22-2006, 11:04 AM
Really beautiful, Mark. I hope you have "before" pics of the blank, you're going to have a hard time convincing people the wood was like that when you found it, it's so far from the common lumber yard experience of wood most people have.
Isn't it amazing what "nature" does under the surface of things?

Ron Sardo
12-22-2006, 11:08 AM
Absolutely Wonderful!

Mark Cothren
12-22-2006, 11:17 AM
Really beautiful, Mark. I hope you have "before" pics of the blank, you're going to have a hard time convincing people the wood was like that when you found it, it's so far from the common lumber yard experience of wood most people have.
Isn't it amazing what "nature" does under the surface of things?

Gary, this is the best I can do right now. My camera decided to die last night...:mad:

This is after I had the outside shaped and was beginning to hollow out the inside.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/100_0990.jpg

I have another piece from the same log that I'm debating over right now. When I get a functional camera I'll shoot a pic of it and show you what it looks like.

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2006, 11:54 AM
Mark what a beautiful piece. Definately well worth the time. Nice work.

Barry Stratton
12-22-2006, 12:14 PM
Incredible!!!!!!

This is one amazing piece, very, very impressive.

you do know that, with this one, you can officially change your name to "Marque" and wear a beret:D

Kurt Rosenzweig
12-22-2006, 12:32 PM
WOW!!! I love it Mark! My taste to a tee. Very well done, But don't you think your cutting it a little close? You'll never get it to my house by Christmas.

Christopher K. Hartley
12-22-2006, 12:51 PM
Mark, this is everything everyone has said and more. When I saw your second picture I envisioned a lamp stand and base of some wood that would compliment and a darkened room to reveal it's true beauty from a second dimension. I love it!! Great work!:)

Jonathon Spafford
12-22-2006, 3:09 PM
That is one of the most amazing pieces I have ever seen.... it is simply beautiful. You did an awesome job of keeping it together!!!!

Travis Stinson
12-22-2006, 3:44 PM
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Battle Scarred...............yup, I like that.:D

Ed Scolforo
12-22-2006, 4:24 PM
Awesome piece and great name!
Ed

Mike Vickery
12-22-2006, 4:53 PM
Beautiful piece. I am one of those guys that the more beat up the wood is by nature the more I like it.

Tom Sherman
12-22-2006, 5:04 PM
I have to agree Mark, totally awsome piece.

Mark Cothren
12-22-2006, 5:32 PM
Thanks all... I appreciate it...

Here's the last chunk of log that I have left from this wood... anybody wanna come get it? :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/PersimmonLog1.jpg

And here's the piece I'm debating over tackling... it'll have to be soon if I do... and it is a bit further gone than this last one, so it may never survive.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/PersimmonLog2.jpg