PDA

View Full Version : I've Got a Screw Loose...in the shop somewhere...

Brad Kimbrell
12-22-2006, 4:17 AM
I was turning a 10" cherry platter tonight and I noticed that every time that I had it close to trued, it would "go out" again and I was wasting more wood than I felt necessary.

After examination I see that I have lost on of the M6-10mm screws that hold jaw #4 in - it was riding on one screw only.

I've searched and sifted thru plenty of shavings and my trash can but cannot find the little black screw.

Where can I purchase a new set of screws? The Teknatool tool site has them but with a $10 shipping fee on an $11 order...

Keith Cope
12-22-2006, 6:41 AM
You might try Lowe's or HD--they have a small assortment of metric, set screws, etc., usually in a small bank of drawers near the bagged fasteners.

Marvin Hasenak
12-22-2006, 7:14 AM
Look in the yellow pages for Fasteners Industrial" should be able find a specialty store that sells nuts and bolts of all kinds in you area.

JOHN VITOSKY
12-22-2006, 7:36 AM
Is there a woodcraft near you. I know thers one in Mason near Cincy. They should have them.

George Tokarev
12-22-2006, 7:39 AM
Lots of Borgs have a row of drawers which have out-of-the way and weird fasteners in them. Might just find them there. Our local has metrics of several conformations, no reason others shouldn't. Other than that, a spares set was always a good idea anyway.

John Hart
12-22-2006, 7:47 AM
Brad...this may not be much help, but I've lost plenty of screws and small pieces in the shavings as well. As a last-ditch effort, you might try attaching a magnet to a stick and just randomly rake it through the shavings. Works most times for me.

Andy Hoyt
12-22-2006, 8:34 AM
Last time I bought a new set of jaws (Oneway type) they came with their own set of screws. Now I have lots of extras.

Lemonade time!

Steve Schlumpf
12-22-2006, 9:07 AM
Brad - I'd spend a little more time with a magnet before having to run around to different stores looking for a replacement screw. Best of luck.

Al Wasser
12-22-2006, 10:52 AM
order a new set from woodchipshome.com $2 I don't know what the shipping will be but I ordered a tool a month or so ago a the shipping was about $5 as I recall.

Mike Vickery
12-22-2006, 10:52 AM
http://www.woodchipshome.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=WC&Category_Code=LAMISC
I believe this is what you are looking for.

Kevin McPeek
12-22-2006, 12:30 PM
I found a screw that worked (in a pinch) at lowes but it was a phillips head. It held till I got a replacement set from Charles (the link above).

Brad Kimbrell
12-22-2006, 1:41 PM
Al & Mike,

Thanks a lot for the link to WoodChips. I ordered a set of screws plus a few of those gas-powered pen refills. Can't wait to write like an astronaut! :D

In the mean time I'll make a trip to the BORG and see if I can find something to hold me over...

I seem to have misplaced a couple of 2 1/4" 8-32 screws that go with the Moen faucet that I am using in the remodel of our hall bath.

I've been cleaning and building storage for the shop, but seems like these got away from me.

Again thanks for the link. That guy has a few other items that I would like to have as well, but I made another trip to the local Manny's Woodworker store yesterday and spent a little over $400 so I'll have to wait.

I did search the board here and decided to purchase one of those Trend AirShields. It's charging now and should be ready for me when I get home. I have grown tired of the nasal issues :mad: and finally bit the bullett. From the comments on the board I'm sure that I'll be satisfied. :p

Another reason why I support The Creek. You guys are a wealth of knowledge and all of your help and support are appreciated...especially by us new to turning.

Now I just have to figure out how to escape this vortex...over $1,500 in the last 2 months on new toys and now I'm looking for a bigger lathe to play with! :eek: