PDA

View Full Version : Help needed on how to save

Mike Vickery
12-22-2006, 1:59 AM
I had an end piece of a Carob log that I was playing with but have a problem.

I really like this piece besides the missing bark section so I really want to save it. I cannot find the missing bark piece to glue it back on and it is at a crazy curve so none of the intact bark piece look like they will come close to fitting.
What should I do?
Unfortunately I think I have to remove the rest of the bark, which I hate to think of doing.
If I remove the rest of the bark I am thinking of dying the rim black or doing a woodburning texture on it. Any other ideas?
Also if I remove the bark do you think I should turn it thinner? I was leaving it thick to accentuate the bark, but am thinking that if I get rid of it I might want to go pretty thin to minimize the edge.
I appreciate anyones ideas.

Andy Hoyt
12-22-2006, 8:29 AM
Yup. A dyed, textured, or burned rim would likely be where I'd go.

And thin, too. Really thin. But as an end grain piece that's gonna make it super fragile.

Just wood - go for it.

John Hart
12-22-2006, 8:34 AM
Hey that's cool! I like the orientation you've chosen. I'm with Andy...go thin...burn the edges.

Steve Schlumpf
12-22-2006, 8:58 AM
Hi Mike - very interesting piece so far! If you are starting a poll - my vote would be for burned edges. Lots of luck and looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Ron Sardo
12-22-2006, 9:57 AM
Who said you have to use the exact piece of bark?

Do you have any more of the carob hanging around that you can borrow some bark?

BTW - It's coming out nice, can't wait to see it finished.

Mark Cothren
12-22-2006, 9:58 AM
Well, I'll be slightly different... if you keep it as is, then I'd suggest burning the spot where you lost the bark. I think thinner would look better, too.

But if you remove all of the remaining bark, I'm not sure I'd burn the whole edge. Maybe try lightly sanding it first... if that doesn't work for you, maybe try some texturing... if that doesn't work, try some dye... and if that doesn't work, then you can still burn it.

It's a neat piece, for sure. Just stick with it and however it ends up it'll be unique and a keeper.

Joe Melton
12-22-2006, 11:10 AM
You could write your name on the bare place, in large script. Make it look intentional.
Joe

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2006, 11:57 AM
Mike I had the same thing happen to a NE. About 3/4's of the bark flew into pieces. I took my soldering iron and burnt the edge. Turned out just fine.

Kevin McPeek
12-22-2006, 12:26 PM
I'd go thinner and you might try the ol' coffee ground first to fill in the area. If that doesn't match but you like the look just take all the bark off and coffee ground the whole thing to give you the barkesque look. If you don't like it burn the edge.
Great looking piece though.

Mike Vickery
12-22-2006, 7:59 PM
Thanks for the ideas everyone.
I did decide to thin it down so I turned it down to 3/8ths tonight. Being endgrain it was already starting to flex so that as far as I was comfortable turning it to. I have decided I will take of the rest of the bark and I will play a little bit with a Carob natural edge bowl that is also missing some bark and is about ready to final turn before decideing for sure on an edge treatment.

Ernie Nyvall
12-22-2006, 9:51 PM
But as an end grain piece that's gonna make it SUPER FRAGILE.

Yep, super fragile cataclysmic extra brittleocious.

I agree with the other stuff too.