PDA

View Full Version : So I have a shop, kinda...

Jeff Yates
12-21-2006, 11:58 PM
I've been wanting to do something like this for a long time....

Have a place where I can learn how to make things with my own two hands, with some help from power tools here and there. I had a few basic power tools, belt sander, jig saw and circular saw, but nothing beyond that.

So when I moved into this new house there was this little room just sitting there, with nothing to claim it.

So I went on a budget build a shop...slowly but surely....

Started with an old pharmacy table we found, and mounted a Craftsman 10" bandsaw I found on Craigslist for $50, guy bought it, it was too small for what he wanted to do, and had to sell it. Who am I to complain about an almost brand new bandsaw for that price....*ding*

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/rowdymon/shop/bandsaw.jpg

Then I knew I needed some kind of workbench. Well Home Depot here I come. THe local Depot has a cut off bin, and regularly sells pieces for fifty cents or a dollar. So after a few visits I found enough to build this $12 workbench...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/rowdymon/shop/workbench.jpg

Shortly after that I noticed the local Harbor Freight had a deal going for a small drill press....so $29 later...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/rowdymon/shop/drillpress.jpg

Note the interesting vice, I found it in a garage sale, moving sale kind of thing...I'm not sure WHAT it's actually called, but the guy let it go for $5 when I spotted it on an old workbench in the garage...a bit rusty...but it holds a board or two..

A little while later I saw this little shelf sitting behind the local walgreens, packed it up and put it in my MINI Cooper, took it home...works great for my few little ole tools....*laugh*.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/rowdymon/shop/powertoolrack.jpg

A bench grinder and small vise at a local cheapy tool store and I can do a little wood working...I even found a router table, under the bench in the pics, and a craptastic router for $20, but I will admit, the router hasn't survived...motor siezed, my guess from not being used...

Total investment...well, about $200 I would say.

I even got brave and went to the local hardwood store and bought some cut offs they had of some exotics...wouldn't you know, I spent more than I did to build my shop...*grumble*...

So where does an aspiring woodworker ona budget find good deals on anything other than construction grade timber? Honestly I'm kind of worried about what I've done so far..ended up pretty shabby...as in I'm not posting the pictures...they came out horrid.

I'm not giving up, I just need to find a better kind of wood and a supplier...and maybe pick up some hand tools here and there...LOL

John Bailey
12-22-2006, 12:13 AM
Very cool Jeff. Nice use of a budget.

John

Ken Fitzgerald
12-22-2006, 1:37 AM
Jeff........With just a few exceptions....all of us have been or are on a budget.....some tighter than others and we can understand! There a lot of things you can do to improve your results. First ...practise with what hand tools you have. Second build some jigs.......it's kinda like the old "give 'em some fish and you feed 'em. Teach 'em to fish and they can support themselves" type of thing. Once you build an accurate jig...if built correctly they'll stay accurate for a long time or can be readjusted to be accurate again.....Don't be too hard on yourself ....even the pros make mistakes....they just know how to cover up the evidence! Have fun with it! That's why the crazies at this website do it......it's fun and they are passionate about having fun....it's a challenge and they are passionate about that challenge! Enjoy the journey Jeff!

Jesse Thornton
12-22-2006, 1:49 AM
Honestly I'm kind of worried about what I've done so far..ended up pretty shabby...as in I'm not posting the pictures...they came out horrid.

Nothing to worry about - the best way to learn is to just go at it, accepting that you're going to make a ton of mistakes as you learn. Some of my early hack jobs are positively embarrassing to think about now. I find though, with myself and anyone else I know who's into this sorta thing, that your expectations tend grow with your skills, making just about every completed project seem somewhat shabby in hindsight. Nevertheless, once in a while we manage to impress even ourselves, and that feeling makes up for all the frustrations many times over.
You're off to a good start!

Dan Forman
12-22-2006, 3:28 AM
Your might start looking at how you are goint to get your stock square and true. From the sound of your dissatisfaction with your initial projects, my guess would be that the scaps of hardwood that you got were suffering from various degrees of warp, bow, etc. It would indeed be a challenge to work with wood that has not been milled flat and true. If you are willing to learn how to do it with handplanes, you can do this with a minimum of expense, other than sweat equity. You will find a wealth of information down in the Neanderthal Haven about handplanes. When you can afford it, a jointer and planer will speed things up a bit. Starting out with handplanes though will be a great education, which will come in handy as long as you are working wood. Do a little research before looking for a plane or two so that you know what to look for.

There is much to learn, so don't be hard on yourself, we have all been there. The important thing is that you are giving it your best effort. You wouldn't expect to sit down a the piano and play Mozart concertos right away, so give yourself some time to learn the craft. I'm sure your projects will improve as you learn and practice more. One good way to proceed is to begin by making shop fixtures, jigs, tables, etc. Strictly functional stuff that will be of value warts and all. That will give you lots of practice, and mistakes will not be seen by prying eyes, other than your own. Once you work out the basics, you will feel more comfortable using more expensive wood for more ambitious projects.

Dan

Jeff Yates
12-22-2006, 8:36 AM
Thank y'all for the words of encouragement....

Maybe my problem is I'm stingy with my money on the wood...the local store I've found, Houston Hardwoods, doesn't offer a discount on their cutoffs...they are the same price per boardfoot as full lumber. Is this normal? Or is there a place I can get a discount on lumber buying it in oddball sizes?

For me paying $3 a board foot and up while I'm learning seems a bit steep....

Tyler Howell
12-22-2006, 8:41 AM
Looks like a shop to me:cool: Thanks for sharing.

Mitchell Andrus
12-22-2006, 8:44 AM
No kidding here... practice on corregated cardboard. This will not only be easier on the budget, but you'll hone your skills, develop an eye for design and scale, and figure out what tools (plural) you'll need next. Joinery calls for real wood so it's butt joints and glue at this stage. Add a radial arm saw and you've got the shop I started with.

Jim Becker
12-22-2006, 8:51 AM
Everyone has to start somewhere and having a place to work is a key part of that. You've build a nice area to work and actually have enough tools to work on small projects...which is great to take advantage of those cut-offs you mention. Boxes, intarsta-type projects, even small cabinets and furniture are within your grasp with the tools you mention. (You do appear to need a few clamps... ;) )

Congrats on a great start!

Alfred Clem
12-22-2006, 8:52 AM
Don't put yourself down, friend. Most if not all of us started with bare essentials. Read as much as you can, use the internet and your public library, watch classified ads for bargains. I started when I was making $95 a week (and worth it!), but persisted for years and years. We encourage you to keep us posted on your progress. Remember: frustration is the mother of improvement.

Al

Don Bullock
12-22-2006, 9:03 AM
It looks like you're off to s good start. You have put together a nice shop on a small budget. Use what you have to build what you need or want. As time goes on you'll be able to build up your list of tools. Enjoy.

Al Willits
12-22-2006, 9:04 AM
Welcome.
I'm new at this also and know where your coming from, keep a eye on Craig's list, and every now and then someone will be selling lumber at a price that's discounted, also try garage sales, and neighbors/friends to see if they have any wood laying around.

Start with basic projects to get your feet wet....er...maybe get them full of sawdust...but keep it simple.
Shelfs, foot stools, basic cabinets, easier stuff to get the idea of wood working.

Good luck, this forum has been a life saver for me, don't be afraid to ask questions.

Al

Ned Bulken
12-22-2006, 9:28 AM
Jeff,
welcome to the boards, and congrats on the nice starter shop. Right now you've got a huge leg up on this hobby/avocation.
You've got the basics, and a nice start on a good shop. At this point, I'd suggest you focus on the process and project planning, the 'fine woodworking' can wait until your skills progress. Building *something* even if it is a bit rough and ready is more important now than NOT building anything at all. I've done some nice things, but some of my favorite projects are three rough and ready beds which are in use every night. They're not pretty, but they're absolutely functional. Someday I'll have a better shop and I'll build nicer beds for my wife and kids. After a whole lot of other things get taken care of.

glenn bradley
12-22-2006, 9:37 AM
Jeff, you are on your way. Congrats!

Charles McKinley
12-22-2006, 10:44 AM
Hi Jeff,

The bench looks great! Popular Woodworking has a section called "I Can Do That" that use basic tools and big box materials. Check out ICanDoThatExtras.com . Keep bargin hunting. With patience there are some really good deals to be had. You are doing good.

Neil Lamens
12-22-2006, 11:14 AM
Hey Jeff:

What do you mean......kinda????

I'm envisioning alot of good stuff coming out of your "SHOP". With the approach you used in creating it.....maybe get a little "tude" about it, and referr to it as your "Studio".

That's good effort, man!!!!

Jeff Yates
12-22-2006, 12:46 PM
Well thank y'all for the input...

I do agree I need some clamps...*laugh*, thankfully another thread in this forum showed me that Woodcraft is having a sale on a 15 piece set, so I'm going to swing by there today (about five miles from my house) and pick up a set...

On the rest...I'll keep ya posted on how my progress is going..

Thanks again

"Jason Belous"
12-22-2006, 4:09 PM
best advice i can give dont let your budjet out weight your skill level, I have spent nearly $15,000 putting my shop toghether and still feel like I dont know anything so stay posative, and keep at it. We all start out this ww journey with a circular saw and some screws. best advice is be creative and take your time.

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-22-2006, 4:29 PM
Face the vice with Pine. It'll hold better and won't mar your work.

Bryan Somers
12-22-2006, 5:13 PM
Relly nice start on your shop Jeff. You appear to be further along than I am and I started with mine over a yr ago. Thanks for the tip on the HD cutoffs bin, I'll have to check that out next time I'm in there.

David Duke
12-22-2006, 5:26 PM
Jeff I was at your local Woodcraft today around the time you made your last post, although its about a hour drive for me, if it was only five minutes as it is for you the LOML would stay unhappy all the time. I saw the clamps you mentioned did you get any?

Luciano Burtini
12-22-2006, 6:36 PM
Thank y'all for the words of encouragement....

Maybe my problem is I'm stingy with my money on the wood...the local store I've found, Houston Hardwoods, doesn't offer a discount on their cutoffs...they are the same price per boardfoot as full lumber. Is this normal? Or is there a place I can get a discount on lumber buying it in oddball sizes?

For me paying $3 a board foot and up while I'm learning seems a bit steep....
If you want a source of cheap wood, watch old pallets and crates closely. Many are made of Oak (local) or other exotic hardwoods (overseas). The wood may not be the nicest, but there is often enough good wood to make it worthwhile. Crates that held heavy equipment are best as the wood is generally higher grade. Check automotive and equipment dealers - they are usually happy to have you haul it away. Might be a PITA to find enough for a big project, but for practice or small projects like boxes, etc..... its a deal.

I posted and then noticed that you are in Houston.. If you can get anywhere near the waterfront, that is often a source of some pretty big exotic timbers. I have snagged some from the waterfront in Vancouver that were being used to secure items in a freighter. No idea what they were, but the wood was strong and interesting if nothing else - oh yeah, and did I mention free?

Jeff Yates
12-23-2006, 4:32 PM
David...I did, I splurged and got two sets...then I swung by the Home Despot and saw they had the Black and Decker palm sander on for $19.97....so Merry Christmas to me!

Cliff...I had heard that...but I wanted to clean off the surface first..it's got some light surface rust..

SO that leads me to two questions, I may post them in a seperate thread if ya think it'll help...

1...I've seen people using Mineral Spirits, whatever those are, to bring out the grain on wood...and clean surfaces after use...but where do you get them, and are they called Mineral Spirits?

2...As a kid I was always told to sand with the grain of the wood...so I picked up this random orbit palm sander, but I"m worried it'll mar the finish on the wood, even at high grain...fact or myth?

Greg Peterson
12-23-2006, 4:59 PM
Jeff,

You're on the right track. You can do alot with some basic, entry level tools (power and hand).

I'm in a similar boat myself. I'm in the process of upgrading the electrical service to my house (just waiting for the inspection at this point). Then the walls that will partition the garage into a laundry room and shop.

After the shop space is defined, the real struggle starts. Upgrade the old craftsman TS I got for free, get a dust collection system, bandsaw, thickness planer, jointer, spindle sander......?

One of the ways that I make do without the milling machinery is a woodworking class offered through the community college. I have access to some industrial grade machinery one night a week.

Good luck and hang in there. You're off to a good start. Enjoy the journey.

Jeff Yates
12-23-2006, 5:08 PM
I had considered taking some classes at the local colleges...but for now I think I'm going to try some of hte one day classes at Woodcraft, they have a box making class I think I"ll jump on and see what I can learn...

For now I'm just trying to get the shop a little more organized...I've just been informed I'm taking possession of all my grandfathers tools, while most are for home repair and automobile repair...I am pretty sure there are alot of hand tools there...just a question fo what kind of shape they are in...they have been sitting in the back of a garage neglected for years now apperantly. I had thought they were long gone.