PDA

View Full Version : Corner Cabinet Project

Christopher Pine
12-21-2006, 10:58 PM
Well I have asuccessfully added one more project to my not quit finished list.. this list is getting very long. :)

I will be putting a back on the top section and putting glass in the door.

Was a challenge for me. The top door has a grid type divider. One large piece of glass will go in the door behind the grid. One of these days I will actually finish one of these projects and post those pictures at the end of these threads :)

Merry Christmas

Chris

Corey Hallagan
12-22-2006, 12:08 AM
Nice work Chris. That is a beauty of a cabinet. I love the doors!

Corey

lou sansone
12-22-2006, 8:27 AM
looking good so far. I am sure it will be a beauty when it's done
lou

Lars Thomas
12-22-2006, 8:40 AM
Great work on that door. How did you do it?

Paul Kinneberg
12-22-2006, 8:55 AM
Chris looks very nice!! How about a couple detail pictures of the glass door I would like to see how you did that. Thanks Paul

Jim Becker
12-22-2006, 9:06 AM
Chris, that is outstanding looking work!

I'd like to know how the doors were constructed relative to the grid for the glass...if you happened to have taken any pictures of that part of the process.

Lori Kleinberg
12-22-2006, 9:18 AM
That is a great looking cabinet. Can't wait to see it finished.
I also seem to have at least 2 or more projects going at the same time.
I don't know why I do that :confused: . I barely have enough room to work on 1 at a time.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Greg Cole
12-22-2006, 10:55 AM
I seem to have the same "problem" with more than one project. I partially do it intentionally as I finish my projects where I make them and cleaning up the shop for finishing is a major chore so I try to have a couple pieces to finish when I do finally pass a white glove inspection.
I also seem to have an idea, or ideas, strike me in the middle of one project that inspires me. The new inspirations always seem to come together faster than something I've been pecking away at for awhile....

John Marshall
12-22-2006, 1:33 PM
Nice work. How are you going to finish the cabinet? I look forward to seeing it completed.

I still have a project for my brothers wedding, that was 2 years ago!!!! :eek:

Christopher Pine
12-22-2006, 4:58 PM
You are very kind all who commented.
Well the cabinet is fairly strait forward.. It is made in two parts: the bottom made for teh corner of course it has a maple top.The top is assembled and rests on the top of the bottom cabinet.

The obvious hard part to this project is the top cabinet door and it is made like any other cabinet door,Except the arch is made from two curved pieces and joined in middle with spline. it is run through shaper like the other door parts to get the profile you want. (Oh and by the way for this type of project I am a so sold on a full size drawn template of sorts. This was a lifesaver so many times! After this was done I dry fitted the pieces and cut a rough profile of the arched piece into the top rail. then it was a game of sanding to fit the two together to try and match everything up as well as possible. Trying to blend the two together. You can see with these additional close up pictures; the flat triangular panel piece that is fitted in the top corners. This was fun and adds quite a bit to the piece I think.
The grid pieces like I said are only to sit on the front of the glass. They are about 3/8 inch thick and are run through the shaper as well to get the profile on then as well. I am attaching some more photos I hope this will answer some questions you all had.

Oh and the top part of the grid that does the y type thing was a challeneg.. I ended up making templates from my full size drawing.. at first I made one of onse side of the y and tried to cut 1/2 the bottom part off to put them together to get the perfet fit.. did nto work.. so what ended up working for me was a full size template of the whole "y" part of the grid them very carefully cutting it into two pieces right down the middle. Using this template as a basic guide and sading the real pieces to fit together and make the y. If I have confused you totally now I understand. :) I glued everything up and used a pin nailer to fasten these pices to the door.
Chris

Chris

Jeffrey Makiel
12-22-2006, 7:18 PM
Chris,
Nice job! Very nice job! I was thinking of tackling one for my Mother's kitchen but I'm not sure it will fit.

I really like your craftsmanship on this one. I suggest that you add a curio light inside to help illuminate the interior. It would look fabulous at night.

Again...well done!
-Jeff :)