PDA

View Full Version : Multimeter advice

Dan Mages
12-21-2006, 6:49 PM
Hi all. I am making some serious progress on the basement. I hope to have all of the drywall up this weekend!! I was checking out my trusty old analog multimeter, but alas, it is dead. Any advice on good multimeters? I don't need anything special as I am only using this around the house.

Thanks!!

Dan

Doug Shepard
12-21-2006, 6:58 PM
I'm using an older model Fluke digital (dont recall the model nbr at the moment). The number one feature that I've found indispensible that none of my previous analog meters had is an audible beep continuity check. Whatever you get, make sure it's got that feature. It's SO much easier than having to hold test probes on something only to lose contact as you look away to see what the meter indicates.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-21-2006, 7:03 PM
I've been using Fluke's since the early 70's. Hard to beat in my book!

Lee DeRaud
12-21-2006, 7:20 PM
I've got a 10-15 year-old Radio Shack digital, complete with continuity buzzer...doubt it cost more than $20-25. Certainly good enough for "household" use...and of course their cheap one doesn't have the buzzer anymore. Looks like there's a $30 one (with more features than mine) that has the buzzer though.

Joe Pelonio
12-21-2006, 7:23 PM
Make sure it has measures resistance, I got one that doesn't a while back after my 1960's version died, and miss that feature.

Jim O'Dell
12-21-2006, 9:14 PM
I use an old Simpson analog. Circa late 70's. Anyone know where I can get some new leads for it? Fluke is what most everybody uses these days. Jim.

Ron Jones near Indy
12-21-2006, 9:41 PM
Sears has a Craftsman unit that has all the features you need for home hobby for about $30 IIRC.

Mike Cutler
12-21-2006, 10:58 PM
Dan Look at this one from Fluke. It will do everything you need. Most importantly it will measure current in an non invasive manner. You just put one lead between the "U" and it will display the current.

http://us.fluke.com/usen/products/Fluke++T5.htm?catalog_name=FlukeUnitedStates&Category=ELT(FlukeProducts)

Bruce Page
12-21-2006, 11:17 PM
I have a Fluke 187 at work that I use almost daily for thermocouple work. It’s an amazing tool but I wouldn’t spend that kind of money for home use. I have a simple $30 Radio Shack meter for home use and it does everything that I need.

Curt Harms
12-22-2006, 5:51 AM
How about something like this? I find it occasionally useful to be able to read amperage. If You want a real cheapie, Harbor Freight has 'em.

Tyler Howell
12-22-2006, 8:11 AM
Fluke, Enough said!!

Dan Mages
12-22-2006, 9:15 AM
I have thought about Fluke Multimeters, but I am not sure if the $100+ expense can be justified. But then again, you get what you pay for. I'll swing by my favorite tool whore and see what they have.

Thanks!!

Dan

skip coyne
12-22-2006, 9:23 AM
I have a fluke also but where I to replace it I would look at the harbor freight ones .

for use around the house do you need a $150 meter or super accuracy ?

Greg Narozniak
12-22-2006, 11:48 AM
Fluke, Enough said!!

Ditto to what Tyler said!

Al Willits
12-22-2006, 11:48 AM
Considering I need them in my trade, I have a handful of them, amp probe, fluke and even a old Simson 260 along with a few more, but around the house I use a analog RS meter I picked up for under thirty bucks.
Nothing I can think of in basic house wiring needs anymore accuracy than what it has, and it ain't all that inaccurate anyway.

Flukes are "the" meter to have, but a bit of overkill for basic electricity.

Al

Dan Mages
12-22-2006, 11:59 AM
I stopped by my tool pusher and looked at the options. Fluke is obviously the best choice and the best product available, but I could not justify spending $130 on a Fluke for home use. They did have a simple Greenlee pocket multimeter for $30 which I did grab. Thanks for the advice!!

Dan