PDA

View Full Version : Dog Cremation Box

Mike Hill
12-21-2006, 3:36 PM
I was asked recently by our in-laws to make a box to hold the ashes of their pet dog of 13 years. It is walnut, curly maple, slot hinges, brass catch and finished in BLO and Poly Spray. Dovetails on Akeda jig. I am learning that the smaller the box, the more chance for error. :)

Jesse Thornton
12-21-2006, 4:25 PM
Hi Mike,
That's a nice looking box, very tasteful. I really like the look of that figured maple. It contrasts well with the walnut, standing out without looking 'showy'.

Al Willits
12-21-2006, 4:31 PM
"""""""""
I am learning that the smaller the box, the more chance for error. :)
"""""""""

I have four of them to make, three for our past dogs, and one present dog, and have been waiting for my skill level to get a bunch better for just that reason.
Box looks pretty nice to me, fwiw.

Al.....who'll probably leave water stains on all four of them.

Mike Hill
12-21-2006, 5:53 PM
Al: I tore up 3 sets of walnut for the sides, front and back just to get to this one box :) Just have at it and see what comes out.
Mike

Mike Heidrick
12-21-2006, 7:23 PM
Hi Mike. Great looking box. I have some questions though on functionality.

I am wondering about the lid and hinges/clasp. Is this a box they are putting the ashes in or dog momentos in. Is this something they will open more than once? I have been asked to help build one as well so I am wondering about the design. Is this the design they asked you for? Where does one go to get ideas on an urn? I have seen the one on ebay that shows up every so often and it looks nice as well. I guess for my design I am thinking hidden lid like human urns - are pet urns different?

John Timberlake
12-21-2006, 8:01 PM
Very nice job on the box. Makes quite a statement.

Jim Becker
12-21-2006, 8:21 PM
Beautiful piece!

I am wondering about the lid and hinges/clasp. Is this a box they are putting the ashes in or dog momentos in. Is this something they will open more than once?

This was the same question that came to my mind. Most, if not all, of the urns/cremation boxes I've seen were intended to be sealed permanently after the "resident moves in". 'Could be quite messy otherwise...

Bob Reda
12-21-2006, 8:28 PM
All the urns I make, whether for humans or pets, I have access through the bottom. The top part or lid is glued on the four sides and I leave screws in the bottom to remove the bottom plate.

Bob

John Miliunas
12-21-2006, 9:38 PM
Wonderful looking piece, Mike. Love the contrasting woods and looks like the craftsmanship is spot on! Well done and I'm sure your family will love it. :cool:

Mike Armstrong
12-21-2006, 10:58 PM
Great work, Mike!

I recently completed a similar project. A good friend of mine asked me to make him a reliquary (I had to look it up!) for the ashes and mementos of their dog of 16 years. He supplied some walnut that came from a tree on the family farm in KS about 50+ years ago and had been floating around in various garages and attics over the years. Fortunately, he left most of the design up to me, mostly looking for "simple." I considered a front clasp like that, but ended up using rare earth magnets. Access from the bottom? Hmm, never thought of that!

Mike

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=48646&d=1161125903

Corey Hallagan
12-21-2006, 11:04 PM
That is a fine box Mike. Tough to have to build something like this for it's intended purpose but you did well as always.

Corey

Mike Hill
12-22-2006, 10:18 AM
Some great questions and I want to reply to all. First, I had no suggestion from the pet owners. So, I just got on the Internet and looked for Dog Urns etc. Basically all of the on-line designs have about the same dimensions for a small, medium and large pet. I choose the small since this was a miniature dog. From there I just began making the box. The truth is, I destroyed some nice walnut lumber. My first 2 attempts were on a box with mitered corners with keys. The jig for cutting the keys has been used a lot and kept moving the box causing slot problems. On the third attempt I was dovetailing the corners and cut in-between the guides ruining another piece :) Finally I got it right on the 4th attempt.

This one does have access through the bottom with countersunk screws (wondered how to really seal it off without gluing?). I suggested they put the pet's ashes in some type of plastic container to avoid spilling and then place them in the box. They are having brass plate engraved with the pets info on it.

I honestly think the best idea is the hidden lid or the access through the bottom plate. If I do any additional, this is the approach I would take. I am very interested in what some of you have done in the past, or plan in the future on this type of receptacle.

Mike

Mike Hill
12-22-2006, 10:51 AM
Mike: Very nicely done. I really like the cut out to lift the lid and the nice wood.
Mike H.