PDA

View Full Version : matte board for arch. models

Ken Nelsen
11-12-2003, 2:13 AM
Hi Keith,
I just finished a model about a month ago. I used matte board (picture framing material). It comes in 100's of different colors and the surface color is fairly thin so it can easily be engraved off to reveal the core color. Usually either black or white which comes in useful for engraving details such as shutters or shingles or different types of sidings. It also comes in large sheet sizes.
The attached pic doesn't show a lot of the engraving detail but the matte board does work really well.
Later,
Ken

Keith Outten
11-12-2003, 6:50 AM
Thanks Ken,

I'll add matte board to my list of materials, it's one of the basic material types that I had overlooked. I have a local supplier that has a scrap bin that I can purchase matte board very cheap. Actually I keep matte board on hand for engraving templates and I often do engrave matte board for projects but it wasn't on my list of materials for models.

The picture of your model is very nice, are you in the business of making models or is it a hobby?

I have a multi layer Corel Draw model that I got from Epilog, it uses different materials that are layered to provide a stunning effect but they didn't include a color photograph or description of the materials. I plan to start with this Corel Drawing and see what the final project looks like before I go on to more challenging projects.

Aaron Koehl
11-12-2003, 8:31 AM
Hi Keith,
I just finished a model about a month ago. I used matte board (picture framing material). It comes in 100's of different colors and the surface color is fairly thin so it can easily be engraved off to reveal the core color. Usually either black or white which comes in useful for engraving details such as shutters or shingles or different types of sidings. It also comes in large sheet sizes.
The attached pic doesn't show a lot of the engraving detail but the matte board does work really well.
Later,
Ken

That's great Ken!
I'd love to see the .CDR for a smaller model-
(Or any other vector format you happen to be using).

_Aaron_

Ken Nelsen
11-12-2003, 11:05 PM
Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to photograph the completed version of this project. This model is the first I've done using the laser. Prior to this it was all 3d computer renderings. I initially drew this in 3d in Autocad to work out the design and then I converted to 2d plan views for all the pieces and sent it to the laser from Autocad.
Aaron, I'd be more than happy to send you a .dxf file of the model if you'd like, however it's a bit unothodox. Let me know.
Later,
ken

Aaron Koehl
11-13-2003, 8:34 AM
Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to photograph the completed version of this project. This model is the first I've done using the laser. Prior to this it was all 3d computer renderings. I initially drew this in 3d in Autocad to work out the design and then I converted to 2d plan views for all the pieces and sent it to the laser from Autocad.
Aaron, I'd be more than happy to send you a .dxf file of the model if you'd like, however it's a bit unothodox. Let me know.
Later,
ken

I don't have any problem reading .dxfs ;)
Email me when you get a chance--

_Aaron_