PDA

View Full Version : Water Stone Question

Bill Hansen
12-21-2006, 12:21 PM
When sharpening plane blades with water stones, should the blade ride the stone in both directions or just one way? I am trying to find out why I don't get my blades as sharp as I would like.

Bill

Mike Henderson
12-21-2006, 12:39 PM
When I'm using a jig (the Veritas MKII jig) I go both ways. When I'm honing by hand (no jig) I draw the blade towards me (with the edge pointing away from me).

Mike

Wilbur Pan
12-21-2006, 2:09 PM
When I'm using a jig (the Veritas MKII jig) I go both ways.
Must...try...to...keep...typing.... Too...many...jokes.... :D

Seriously, I've found that the first thing I check when I'm having waterstone problems is to make sure that the stone is actually flat. I find that I flatten my waterstones less often than I should, and a small dish can develop in the stone that isn't always apparent until you start having sharpening issues.

Given the number of sharpening techniques advocated over the years (figure 8, pushing vs. pulling, side sharpening, 45 degree angle), my bet is that the actual technique is probably less important than we think, especially if the waterstone is well set up to start with. I've found that when I sharpen a blade, I tend to shift from one pattern to the next depending on what I think the blade needs. By the way, I sharpen freehand.

Like not being able to have too many clamps, I think that you can't flatten a waterstone too often.

Mike Henderson
12-21-2006, 2:20 PM
Must...try...to...keep...typing.... Too...many...jokes.... :D
Ah, we can tell where you mind is.:D I'm too old to see a double entendere any more (sigh).

Mike

Ryan Cathey
12-21-2006, 2:25 PM
I'm just glad someone said it before me! I'm 16...my brain is wired that way:D.

-Ryan C.

Pam Niedermayer
12-21-2006, 7:58 PM
Another major factor is the type of steel used in your blades. An A2 blade will not sharpen the same as O1, etc.; so you may need different stones for A2 (O1 types do fine on waterstones). I don't have any A2, so can't help with which type stones and the like.

Pam

Ken Werner
12-21-2006, 11:42 PM
I don't see a problem sharpening A2 on a waterstone. It may take a bit longer, but I get good results.

I've found that when honing freehand on a waterstone, the blade tends to dig in going forward. With a jig, I don't have that problem.

Ken

Brad Olson
12-22-2006, 12:08 AM
If you are having problems sharpening in both direction, I would recommend only using the push motion.

I find a lot of novice sharpeners do two things incorrectly...

1)rock the blade when going back and forth, leading to dulling and not sharpening the blade

2) compound this error significantly by oversharpening. i.e. taking 30 or 40 strokes on a stone, along with a subtle blade rocking leading to a rounded over edge.

With a water stone you should be able to get a good edge with around 5-10 forward strokes per stone after your 1000 grit stone.

Eddie Darby
12-22-2006, 6:54 AM
Harrelson Stanley "Sideways Sharpening" A true Master!

http://www.japanesetools.com/pages/SharpTour2006.php

Pam Niedermayer
12-22-2006, 3:19 PM
I strongly recommend the following two threads on Woodcentral. Not all of the posts directly address what you're asking, but you'll learn more about sharpening than you'd probably ever want to know. But more to my point above, they speak to the different methods that work with different tool steels: A2, O1, CPM 3V, etc.

The first, perhaps more germane to your issue:***

The second is a follow up thread:***

Pam

*** I was just informed that it's illegal to link to another woodworking forum, so screw it.

Bruce Haugen
12-22-2006, 5:55 PM
A really useful seminar is located on Joel's website. Allow me to toot his horn: http://www.antiquetools.com/sharp/

It was a real eye-opener in one single read.

Bruce