PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Lure Frustration

Jason Christenson
12-21-2006, 10:22 AM
I finally finished my fishing lure project, well sort of. The one's made of walnut all turned out OK. The one's made of ash, which looked much better in my opinion, did not. In every case, when I put the screw in the tail, it twisted off. A few of them have a screw AND a drill bit twisted off in them. Oh well. Here are the ones that I managed to finish. They are all made of walnut. Finished with three coats of sanding sealer and three coats of Tru-Oil gun stock finish.

Jim Cook
12-21-2006, 10:46 AM
If I was a fish I would go for them. Looks good !

Al Wasser
12-21-2006, 10:50 AM
I'm glad to see you used Tru Oil. I think it has more applicaton than I have seen mentioned on the turning boards. It works very good on reel seats if you are a fishing rod builder or making a repair. I have tried it on bottle stoppers and I like the look.

Paul Engle
12-21-2006, 1:24 PM
Jason ,good looking lures, got some big fish here that might go fer em....I going to try the Tru Oil, looks good on the walnut for sure. what trolling speed are the set for? or are they like crank bait/cast?

John Hart
12-21-2006, 1:45 PM
...In every case, when I put the screw in the tail, it twisted off. ....

Ash is just too dang hard. A little soap helps keep the heat down and lubrication up while doing that screwing thing.

Those are really cool Jason. I bet the amish would love to get their hands on those. They've been hounding me to go fishing for two months now (mainly because my buggy gets them to the water sooner).

You've inspired me!!:)

Bob Opsitos
12-21-2006, 1:54 PM
Since I'm not a fisherman, are these weighted beyond the hardware? I would imagine with floating and all...

Bob

Jason Christenson
12-21-2006, 1:56 PM
Since I'm not a fisherman, are these weighted beyond the hardware? I would imagine with floating and all...

Bob

They are not weighted, Bob. For the record, I'm no fisherman either!

Steve Schlumpf
12-21-2006, 2:42 PM
Jason - you did a really good job on the lures! I haven't heard of the Tru-Oil before. I am guessing that it provides a good waterproof barrier. Have you tried out any of your lures to see how well they float, dive, etc?

Paul Engle
12-21-2006, 2:43 PM
John, shame on you sneaking in a gloat like that.....go to the principles office :eek: :D

Brian Mullaney
04-04-2007, 5:47 AM
Jason - how do you think the finish will hold up to toothy critters??

Brian (long time fisherman, new turner)