PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's" - Christmas Edition

Karl Laustrup
12-21-2006, 9:09 AM
December 21st, 2006

Not much time left to get those last minute gifts. :eek:

Because this will be a hectic and long weekend, I thought I'd do the "Doin's" thread early.

We, in the land of the "Frozen Tundra" will not be having a white Christmas. :( No snow in our forcast until at least late next week. Bummer.

Our granddaugter, Tama, will be getting braces this afternoon, so I'm not sure how her weekend is going to be. We'll hope for the best. Saturday is LOML's B-Day. She will be celebrating with a nephew [the 20th] and our youngest [ the 28th]. Matt, our youngest, and his brood will be coming down to spend Christmas. Our first Christmas in our new house.:)

So what are your plans for the holiday weekend?

Whatever your plans are, I hope you will keep our "Armed Forces" in your thoughts and prayers.

From our family to yours "HAPPY HOLIDAYS".

Karl, Carole, Alice & Tama

Jim Becker
12-21-2006, 9:27 AM
Great photo, Karl!

This weekend will be last-minute holiday things and hopefully some shop time, too. For the latter, I would like to get the cherry vanity sprayed and effectively "done". Then, it's some major shop cleaning activity for a number of reasons...including that it needs it. It will be raining outside, so being in the shop just makes sense, don't you think? :)

Oh, and Happy Holidays (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=48101) to all my SMC friends and their families!

David Duke
12-21-2006, 9:32 AM
Todays my last day at the "real" job until 1-2-07! The LOML has gone to her sisters to begin getting ready for her family's Christmas on Saturday, our kids and I will be going on Saturday. Tomorrow I plan on doing a little project material "research":D (i.e. spending spree!!!!!:D ), I will be in the part of town my eldest works; gonna try and get him to buy the old man lunch.:) Sunday the LOML and I will spend at home and will visit with our neighbors. Then on the BIG day about 40 of us will descend on my Mom's house for Christmas, I'm not sure what to expect since this is the first year without my Dad and it was always his favorite holiday.

Next week will be spent helping my youngest rewire his garage, brand new home and they only put in one incandescent light and one wall plug. Then to the real fun of putting up all the Christmas decorations, took me a week to put up, hope to have everything packed away in only one.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy Christmas!!!!!!

Tyler Howell
12-21-2006, 9:53 AM
Hey Karl,
Great picture if you just get that guy outa there:rolleyes: :D .
Family celebration at my house Christmas Eve. First time ever . That means I get to cook:eek:. Daughters will be home and we're picking up a few orphans.
Heading up to the new place on Xmas day to spend the week.
I have a whole punch list of projects.
No computer access so I'll catch you all next year.
Have a Merry.;)

Paul Greathouse
12-21-2006, 9:54 AM
We are on a 12 hour shift here at my real job. This happens to be my long weekend. When I get off this afternoon at 5pm, I won't have to come back until Monday night.

This weekend I will continue installing 1x12 pine paneling in my new shop. I've got what should be a rather interesting section of wall to finish tomorrow. I have paneled to within about 2' of my breaker box.

What I plan on doing is to hinge a 4' section of wall on both sides of my breaker box so that the whole 4' section of wall can swing out to allow easy access for pulling in new circuits or any future changes. I will probably install a rubber caster on the side opposite the hinges to allow for any potential sag.

Other than the hinges showing, I am going to try to make it appear as though it is a normal wall. I will take some pics and post later if it turns out the way I plan for it to.

Besides the shop time, we will probably do some duck hunting Friday and Saturday morning, Church on Sunday morning and Christmas with the inlaws Monday. Should be a busy weekend, hope there won't be to much to do when I come back to work Monday night.

Bryan Somers
12-21-2006, 10:11 AM
Its my weekend to work so that will be the mostly where I'll be. I do get Christmas day off this year so I will be able to enjoy some family gatherings on Monday. Taking the 26th off this time gonna rent the rug docter and clean carpets that day.

Paul Douglass
12-21-2006, 10:24 AM
It will be a quiet one for me and mama. Just the two of us, kids too far away to make it this year. Ma is pretty down about it but like I tell her, all you kids are healthy and doing fine and so are we. Next year my son and family will be back in the states and a great get-together will be had!:)

We will survive and it will be a nice quiet relaxing weekend working on project.

We got ourselves wireless broadband for Christmas. What a great present.

Happy Holidays to all!

Al Willits
12-21-2006, 10:27 AM
Hang in there Karl, we got snow predicted here and it looks like its headed your way, may not make it for X-mas eve, but if the wind picks up ya never know for Christmas...:D

Gotta work Friday and Monday, but its OT and I can use the money for more wood stuff.
My home comp died, one HD quit working and the bios won't see the other one now, so I'll be taking a pipe wrench to it this weekend, also building a extension and bigger sled for the TS, if the shebeast lets me play any this weekend.

Just wanted to wish all you a merry Christmas, and a safe and well new year, you guys and gals have made my new hobby in wood working much easier, and I just wanted to say thanks again.

Al

Ralph Connor
12-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Just a few last minute things going on this weekend.
Friday after work, do family shopping.
Saturday go shopping for LOML.
Sunday hopefully finish End Table for LOML, so far I have the legs and top in clamps and thats it.:D
Don't know if it will be done it time but it can't be any latter then the cutting boards I made for my Sister and Mother last christmas. I delivered them at our Labor Day get together.:o:eek:

Every one have a great holiday.

Don Bullock
12-21-2006, 10:36 AM
Karl,

Nice family photo.

Merry Christmas to all here a the Creek. I wish for you all the best and safest of holidays.

I greatly appreciate all the help and greeting I have already received in my short time here. You people are all fantastic.

My weekend is still mostly unplanned. It starts tomorrow. I have a full day meeting at school today - yesterday was the last day for the kids. Tomorrow afternoon I will be celebrating Christmas at a close friend's house. After that, the weekend is mine to do as I wish (SWMBO known around her as the "Boss" may have different plans). I'm hoping to get out on Saturday to buy some oak and perhaps maple (for contrast) plywood for the space over my fireplace and an oak plank for the mantle. We'll see if they have something that I want. I also have some oak runners that will be going under my antique student desks to put some finish on and attach the desks to them. Then I have to move some furniture around to make room for the desks in one room and fill in the space they'll leave in the other room. As you can see, nothing major for the shop yet, but in 2007 I have several projects planned as the shop is now equipped with most of the tools I need for them.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Karl....Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family!

Year end scramble at work. Have to get everything done today and tomorrow so .....The LOML and I fly out to Illinois and Indiana on Saturday to spend Christmas and a few days afterwords with the MIL and my Mom and her husband.

On the 29th....I hope to meet up with Creeker Frank Kobilsek at his shop in Mendota.....

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year !
to all here at the Creek!

May your holidays be happy and a safe one! Those of you traveling...be careful!

Art Mulder
12-21-2006, 11:18 AM
We, in the land of the "Frozen Tundra" will not be having a white Christmas. :( No snow in our forcast until at least late next week. Bummer.
Us neither. All that snow (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=47291) we had 10 days ago didn't last a week. We've got highs of +9c (48F) on the weekend, and +3c on Christmas. Green, green, green. My poor kids are wishing for snow to sled on.

So what are your plans for the holiday weekend?

Well work officially closes at noon tomorrow, but many folks are treating today like the last day.

F-I-law is coming down to spend part of the weekend with us. Saturday is his birthday, so we'll find a nice place to take him out for dinner.

Sunday our pastor throws his country home open for a Christmas dinner to anyone who wants, and we're regulars there - our kids are friends - and that is a great way to have a wonderfull big dinner with freinds.

And then next week we'll be off to my folks for a few days.

Maybe next weeekend I'll actually spend some time in the shop... ;)

Happy, peacefull, and joyous Christmas to creekers near and far.
...art

Matt Meiser
12-21-2006, 11:23 AM
My weekend actually started yesterday. I spent the entire day in the shop finishing up some more welding projects--a stand for my new plasma cutter and a chain holder for my tractor which both got primed yesterday afternoon and painted this morning. First out of town guests are due any minute. So we'll be hanging out a lot and doing who knows what.

Nancy Laird
12-21-2006, 11:34 AM
Resting! My work year ends tomorrow at 5:00 p.m., then home until Jan. 2. Just LOML and me for the holiday this year--even the orphans we usually have seem to have made some other plans. I still have to get four boxes of family gifts in the mail tomorrow, but other than that, it's going to be playing in the workshop or the laser shop. I still have about 6 pens to turn for the library stock, and my son wants me to try a new thing on the laser, so it's going to be a quiet and low-key holiday for us. Since I'm off all next week, lots of home chores need to be done that I've been putting off. I want to start the new year off with a clean house, clean windows, and rearranged furniture! Anyone want to come help move couches, etc.?? :D :D I didn't think so.

So,

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all!

Nancy

Keith Outten
12-21-2006, 11:52 AM
"Merry Christmas to All"

Today is my first day of our Holiday Break at Christopher Newport University. Our students are all gone home and all is quiet for a change. Yesterday we received our brand new Xenetech XLT1325-60 Laser Engraver at the Architects office but it was to late in the afternoon to take it out of the crate. It will be waiting for me when I return on January 3rd 2007.

I am laser engraving and cutting Christmas ornaments today in my shop office, a job that will most likely be completed by late tonight. These are our annual Christmas ornaments we make for friends and family in lieu of Christmas cards. Each year a new design and material type. This year I am using a sleigh design that someone generously uploaded here in our Laser Engraving Forum. Some are made from gold acrylic and some from birch ply.

Santa's Helpers are hard at work here :)

From our family to yours, we wish you all a joyous and happy holiday season and we hope that the New Year brings good health and prosperity to you and all you love.

Thanks to all for your support throughout the year from Keith, Jackie, Kathy, Jessica and Aaron.

Jim O'Dell
12-21-2006, 12:45 PM
I get off work Friday at 6:00 and don't have to go back until Tues at 7 am. Sat am I need to go install the garage door section I built for a friend last Sunday. I'm going to try to primer it this afternoon/evening...hopefully it will dry. Then clean the van out for the trip to Oklahoma Sunday am to my FIL's house for Christmas. LOML has 3 siblings, 6 kids total between them, ranging from 1 year to 21. Will run by my parents house at Lake Texoma on the way up to drop off gifts. It was a trip that almost didn't happen because of all the rescue dogs that have come in.
Merry Christmas! Be safe. Jim.

Larry Fox
12-21-2006, 12:53 PM
Happy and safe holidays to all!!!

For me, SWMBO put my back against the wall last night - no more procrasinating for me - I will be starting kitchen cabinet install this weekend. She used logic (of all things) to get me to the point where I had no choice but to agree to start hanging them.

Also, I have two youngsters (2 and 5) who are virtually vibrating with excitement about a visit from a guy who will enter via the chimney this weekend. So much so that get some concerned looks, wispering between them and question from my oldest (as the delegate) whenever I lite a fire in the fireplace. At that age they have a vested interest in making the visit as convenient as possible for the jolly one.

I also had to field a question this week from my oldest making inquiries about the diameter of the chimney. :)

Jay Kilpatrick
12-21-2006, 2:16 PM
Have to shop for wife!!! My Mom and Sis are coming in tomorrow so most of the weekend will be spent conbining all the above. We might even get some sleep if my 5 week old is somewhat cooperative.

Dennis Peacock
12-21-2006, 5:27 PM
Howdy Karl,

Merry Christmas to you and everyone here.!!!!

I'm still working on the black lacquer finish on the computer desk as well as beginning the work on the kitchen table project. I'll be working on that off and on as time permits.

Gotta get ready for Christmas Day and I even have a couple of gifts to deliver before Saturday.

Best of Holiday Weekends to each of you. :D

Karl Laustrup
12-23-2006, 7:08 AM
Saturday 12/23/06

Had to do an update to the original forecast. It now looks like we MAY get some SNOW for Christmas. I sure hope so. This brown is really getting old.

Karl

Chris Barton
12-23-2006, 7:33 AM
Good luck on the snow Karl. I am turning presents until I pull out of the driveway on Christmas day. We will take our daughter down to the coast and visit the flat landers clans from whenst we came. I plan to make a trip over to Baton Rouge while down there so I can drop off the candle table I have posted over in the turning forum to some very close friends and I hope to eat some "dads" while I'm there...

Eric Shields
12-23-2006, 8:12 AM
Though I have no last minute gifts to finish, didn't produce any gifts from my, one day will be a basement wood shop, I did want to send a Merry and Saft Christmas to all you Creekers out there.

My step kids will be with their biologiacl father this year, so I've volunteered to work Christmas Day (since someone has to). I'll certainly be catching up on my SMC reading that day. My family will be celebrating our Christmas upon their return on Wed. then on to my folks place for the extended family celebraation on Thur and Fri. Will hopefully be bringing back supplies for the Basement/shop converstion project :D

Merry Christmas Creekers!!!!

Mike Cutler
12-23-2006, 8:21 AM
I'm hoping for a very slow weekend. The Christmas shopping is all but done, one more gift to pick up, and then do some wrapping.
I've already got a few of my gifts,and they are very sharp now. Gloats not allowed until monday though.

Karl. I hope Tama's braces don't have too much of an effect on her weekend. The new braces are a lot different than braces of years ago. Here's hoping that her weekend is spectacular. Your family photo is beautiful, thanks for sharing your family with us.

To all though. Have a very happy and safe holiday. I'm looking forward to the gloats on monday.:) :) :) ;)

Joe Unni
12-23-2006, 9:09 AM
The weekend...

I'll be spending several hours in the domestic shop (i.e. kitchen) creating my famous Italian Almond Cookies - otherwise known as Joey's Biscotti - for our holiday visiting.

I big thank you to all here at the Creek. I have and continue to learn so very much.

A very Merry Chrismas to all!

Please don't forget to share, think, pray or send Christmas wishes to our heroes in uniform. This time of year can be quite a challenge for them and their families.

Enjoy!

-joe

John Miliunas
12-23-2006, 9:10 AM
"Weekend". Hmmmm...Mine started at 7:00 p.m. this last Wednesday and will last until I return to work next year, on the 2nd! :D

Gonna' try and fix my truck topper and spinning off a few more bottle stoppers, per request of the "Boss". Visit w/fellow Creeker on Saturday. Then it's on to cleaning up shop after several mini-projects. Somewhere in between, I expect to get a little lathe time and maybe spend a bit of time with my Akeda.

Christmas celebrations will be split up between two big days, Monday and then sometime next weekend, when my step-daughter and her kids show up. And, trying to go "easy" on the celebrations, as I'm still trying to knock out that last 10 lbs. or so! :o

And, just want to take this opportunity to wish everyone at the Creek a very Merry Christmas and/or wonderful Holiday Season, persuant to whatever Celebration you honor! Thank you for allowing me to be a part of this wonderful community! Creekers ROCK!!!! :D :cool: