PDA

View Full Version : Wax on? Wax off?

Al Mock MD
12-21-2006, 8:45 AM
I've been studying the various methods of finishing & I feel like I know less than when I started. I'm certain that the information is found somewhere within these forums but please allow me the luxury of a specific question. I have prepared two jewelry boxes, the first of bubinga & Brazilian Cherry & the second of Lyptus & Walnut. I recently applied the 4th wetsanded coat (320,600,800,800) of Watco Neutral Danish Oil and, as mentioned elsewhere, the piece appears to be dulling. I'm not a fan of higher-gloss finishes but I'd like a little bit of spectacle for this glassy-smooth surface that cost me two wrists & a shoulder. My simple question is...can I wax over this penetrating oil mixture? Do I have other relatively quick-drying options for a slight, slight gloss? Thank you in advance, Al

Steve Schoene
12-21-2006, 8:52 AM
Yes, you can wax over oil/varnish surfaces.

If you want a bit more shine, apply the Watco without the sandpaper. Wipe off excess with a cloth. )il/varnish finishes will continue to cure for quite some time, shrinking into the surface and becoming more dull. You can refresh the shine with another coat, just being sure that you wipe off vigorously so you don't end up with a gummy mess on the surface.

Another, more permanent gloss, but still a thin finish, would be to apply one or two coats of Waterlox original/sealer. This is a varnish, not an oil varnish mix, and it cures to a very mellow gloss, not high shine.

Al Mock MD
12-21-2006, 9:44 AM
Thank you much! I really like your idea re: Waterlox. The boxes are gifts & I can't see my Mother out in the shop buffing out a white ring. I like the idea of a bit more permanence. Thanks again, Al:)

Carl Eyman
12-21-2006, 1:23 PM
Jeff Jewitt advised me once to mix original Waterlox with Satin to get a shiny, but not too shiny effect. It worked in my case and Jeff got to sell two cans instead of one.