PDA

View Full Version : How to protect tools in storage?

Brian Elfert
12-21-2006, 8:44 AM
I need to put a Unisaw, shaper, and drill press in storage. How do I protect them against rust?

The stoage unit is unheated and here in Minnesota we get some terrible moisture in the air during the spring as the ground and lakes thaw.

Brian Elfert

Reg Mitchell
12-21-2006, 8:49 AM
I need to put a Unisaw, shaper, and drill press in storage. How do I protect them against rust?

The stoage unit is unheated and here in Minnesota we get some terrible moisture in the air during the spring as the ground and lakes thaw.

Brian Elfert
50% turpintine 50% lenseed oil. The concoction lets the oil get into the pores of the cast and shouldnt let it rust.
Reg

Kyle Kraft
12-21-2006, 8:54 AM
LPS-3 is good stuff.

I found out by accident that just having a piece of plywood or the like laying on my cast iron tables would prevent or reduce rusting during the wild temperature/humidity swings we have in Michigan.

Unfortunately, the plywood thing doesn't protect other surfaces like handles, fences, trunnions, spindles, etc.

Check you local industrial supply house for the LPS products.

No, I don't work for them:)

John Branam
12-21-2006, 9:04 AM
I had to put my tools in storage for a bit last year when I was moving, I put a heavy coat of patse wax on and then covered the cast iron with wax paper before the paste wax hazed over worked real well for me.

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-21-2006, 9:38 AM
After oiling them up you might think about taking a shrink wrapper to them. Lay the a sheet of poly on a pallet staple it to the palet set the maching on the poly and then shrink wrap the whole thing. Once well encased in shrink wrap the machine can tolerate transcontinental shipment

Steven Wilson
12-21-2006, 10:07 AM
Clean them up and then spray on a heavy coat of Boeshield and don't wipe it off, just let it dry. Then cover the tools with a breathable cove (an old bed sheet). If you really want to go overboard you can buy spray cans of cosmoline and spray that on your exposed cast iron; same stuff that they protected your saw with when it was new.

JayStPeter
12-21-2006, 10:41 AM
I just slathered paste wax on my stuff and didn't wipe it off.

Brian Elfert
12-22-2006, 3:18 PM
Is stretch wrapping the tools really a good idea? I would think that would trap moisture instead of keeping it out.

Brian Elfert