PDA

View Full Version : Laser Material Tip

George M. Perzel
12-21-2006, 8:39 AM
Hi Gang;
There is a lot of inexpensive material out there that will laser great. One of them is common white wallboard- $10 for a 4 x8 foot sheet at most home centers. Here's a photo done on it-Photoshop to clean it up and eliminate the background and Photograv using Cherry setting.
This stuff is great to work with, engraves dark and fills easily because top surface is a hard coated white layer that wipes off easily.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Karin Voorhis
12-21-2006, 9:05 AM
Thank you so very much for the tip there. That sounds like something I would be very interested in doing sometime soon.

If I understand you right you colorfilled with black yes????

Bill Cunningham
12-21-2006, 9:52 AM
Hi Gang;
There is a lot of inexpensive material out there that will laser great. One of them is common white wallboard- $10 for a 4 x8 foot sheet at most home centers. Here's a photo done on it-Photoshop to clean it up and eliminate the background and Photograv using Cherry setting.
This stuff is great to work with, engraves dark and fills easily because top surface is a hard coated white layer that wipes off easily.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Geee!!! Dejavu all over again!! Yesterday, I noticed a piece of wallboard behind the door in my shop, and I remember thinking: "I wonder how that would accept a photograph?", but a customer came in, and it vanished 'out of my mind'.. (where I seem to spend most of my time now-a-days :rolleyes: )
Thanks george.. Now I will know what to expect..

Michael Kowalczyk
12-21-2006, 12:57 PM
Thanks George! I have some tile board hanging around the shop also. I will give it a try.

On your photo above did you fill it or is that the way it comes off the laser?

Thanks again,

George M. Perzel
12-21-2006, 1:48 PM
Hi Gang;
I should have mentioned that the photo is NOT filled-image is right off the machine. I mentioned filling only because you can play with colors with this stuff without messing up-wipes right off.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Bill Cunningham
12-21-2006, 3:05 PM
Ooops!! Terminology error... When you said "Wallboard" I was thinking "Dry Wall" Board (1/2" thick type)... So I tried it on a Piece of Drywall board, and waddaya know!!! It's just basically paper coated plaster, I suppose it could be lacquer coated, or even painted first.. Just the thing for that custom wall repair after the last job that screwed up.. eh!

George M. Perzel
12-21-2006, 7:36 PM
Hi Bill;
Sorry-should have been more definitive and accurate. The "wallboard" I'm talking about is nothing more than 1/8" masonite with a hard white coating.
Never tried drywall-but, hey-ya never know.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Bill Cunningham
12-22-2006, 10:00 AM
Hi George.. The picture in the previous post was done on a piece of drywall.. The paper goes brown.. I suppose if it were painted first, you could get some interesting results.. The picture is 'me' up the creek 'with' my paddle for a change:rolleyes: