PDA

View Full Version : Got Something Heavy to Move?

Dave Richards
12-21-2006, 8:13 AM
This guy might give you a lesson or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRRDzFROMx0

Gary Herrmann
12-21-2006, 8:41 AM
That was very cool. I think I'll email him and find out how to get a 1 ton tool down two narrow 90 degree turns and into my basement without tearing out any walls...

Jim Becker
12-21-2006, 11:07 AM
Wow...I wonder if those techniques would be useful in de-palletizing a large machine??

Dave Richards
12-21-2006, 12:05 PM
Jim, when I got my 16" bandsaw, the delivery driver insisted upon helping me stand it up. Of course he didn't wait for me to bolt the cast iron feet under it. Rather than lay it down again, I jacked it up one side at a time by rocking and wedging until I had it high enough to get the feet under it.

I also managed to get my sailboat off and back on its trailer this past summer without any help. I was able to lift the boat high enough to slip the trailer from under it. That was only about 650 or 700 pounds but it is 20' long overall with a 6' beam and outside so I didn't have anyway to lift it from above.

I think this guy has some good ideas about lifting and moving heavy stuff. There's that old adage, "Give me a long enough lever and I can move the world."

There's an interesting book by Jan Adkins titled something like Moving Heavy Things. I haven't seen the book but he has a website that has someinteresting illustrations.

Scott Loven
12-21-2006, 12:42 PM
That was very cool. I think I'll email him and find out how to get a 1 ton tool down two narrow 90 degree turns and into my basement without tearing out any walls...
1) Put 1 ton tool in kitchen
2) secure to kitchen ceiling with rope
3) cut hole in floor under tool (Note: make sure you have 8 or more really big guys/holding onto other end of rope first)
4) Gently lower tool into basement.
Note: If married, send wife out shopping first, cover hole with plywood (you never know when you may get another tool deal), cover plywood with rug, hang plant from hook in kitchen ceiling.
I know the plywood, rug and plant is an unnecessary expense, but sometime we have to make sacrifices when we are married!
Scott