PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Plywood

Ted Baca
12-20-2006, 11:28 PM
I inquired at a local vendor today about some Baltic Birch Plywood for an upcoming project. He had the 1/2" but was out of the 3/4". He offered a 4x8 3/4" Multi-ply Chinese Birch or similar( can't remember if he said birch or not). It was about the same price as the 1/2" 5x5 BB but I am curious if anyone has run across this. He thought it was a 11 or 13 ply. I don't want to find out there are voids or any other issues once I start a project. So anyone that is familiar with this, can you give me some input?

Jim Andrew
12-20-2006, 11:33 PM
The big vendors have this stuff, call it box ply. Available in plain and prefinished. I used it for my daughter's kitchen. No voids. Jim

Jim Young
12-20-2006, 11:40 PM
I bought some at the local big box store a while back. The price was pretty good so I brought home a couple of the 3/4" sheets. Within 24 hours the stuff warped really bad. Then when cutting it the surface ply chipped really bad. I changed my blade thinking it may be a little dull bat the newly sharpened WWII blade caused the same chips. I noticed the surface ply was really thin. I won't buy the stuff again.

Brian Gumpper
12-20-2006, 11:43 PM
Surface veneer is very thin, I've seen some with lamination problems causing uneven surface and heard one time the glue layers grooving a Whiteside straight bit. I personally pass on the stuff. A local cabinetshop had a bunch delaminating too when I was in there a few months back.

A lot of people use it though. Like many things in China, depends on the factory and who's watching them.

Nate Rogers
12-21-2006, 6:47 AM
My local hardwood supplier refuses to carry the stuff anymore, he had way to many mad customers.. The biggest complaint was warping, as usual, you get what you pay for.

Nate

James Carmichael
12-21-2006, 7:09 AM
Ditto all the above observations, plus the nominal 3/4" thickness is really 18mm, smaller than the usual 23/32 of domestic plywood.

John C. Wilson
12-21-2006, 7:46 AM
Hi Ted, I as some of the others had MAJOR problems with it warping big time, before and after ripping sheets length wise. Also, the ply I had smelled so bad when you cut it ,you almost felt sick .For the little price difference I stay with the B2 grade from Menards that usually comes from Canada. Around $36 per sheet it's been excellent........John

Homer Faucett
12-21-2006, 10:08 AM
I bought quite a bit from HD when it was $25 per sheet. No warping or chipping issues, even with storage in my unheated barn. The cabinet carcasses made from the stuff look just as good as those made with $60 BB.

I guess sometimes you get what you paid for. Sometimes you get twice what you paid for.

Ted Baca
12-21-2006, 12:17 PM
Well so far I get the majority giving me negative feedback. I think I will stay away from it and wait till the 3/4 BB is back instock. Thank you all for shring your experiences. Well as you may have heard, here in Colorado I get to spend the day digging out.:(
Thanks again!

Byron Trantham
12-21-2006, 12:37 PM
I thought it was just me. I had the same problem - warping. I buy my stuff from a hardwood vendor. I have bought some birch and Red Oak. Both of them warped. I mentioned it to the owner and he said the stuff was from China. Not sure what I am going to do now. At least I know its not just me. Thanks for the post.

Russ Massery
12-21-2006, 1:54 PM
Some of the WORST plywood I ever used. Buyer beware.:( Had some of the same issues as above.

Dennis Peacock
12-21-2006, 2:00 PM
It will warp, twist, and give you a pain in your pocketbook that you really don't want!!!! Veneer layer is so thin that if you sand it much more than barely enough to even try to smooth the wood? You'll sand through the veneer.

Request DOMESTIC Plywood. Much better, thicker veneer, and you will like it better. My 2¢ on the topic.