PDA

View Full Version : More than just mushrooms

Noah Alkinburgh
11-11-2003, 10:11 PM
I have been using my lathe for more than just mushrooms. The problem is I never get a chance to photograph the stuff. So here is a collection of some of the stuff I have been turning. The pen pic is kind of bad. I am not sure how to improve that. I have some more pens done too but they are at work for people to peruse :D

Enjoy, critique (really...if you don't feel comfortable doing it in public please PM me), lavish me with praise (please do that in public ;) ) and just generally try not to laugh out loud.

Noah

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
11-11-2003, 10:25 PM
By jove, Noah, I believe you have gotten the idea. I can't quite see the top of the first turnings. Are those for the smelly stuff? One kind of looks like there might be wick sticking out of the top. The captured rings on the taller turning shows you are experimenting already. The snowman is whimsical enough. Keep the pics coming so we can keep track of your progress.

Bud Duffy
11-11-2003, 10:25 PM
Noah love it all especially the tea lights never thought of that and the rattle how do u keep the seperate rings from breaking while turning the next ones? keep it up!

Bob Lasley
11-11-2003, 10:42 PM
Great job Noah! I especially like the snowman, but don't you think the little fella needs some arms? :D

Bob

Glenn Hodges
11-12-2003, 7:58 AM
Good work, enjoyed looking at all this. I would make the base of the cherry tea light a little wider to make it more stable. Other than that I think you are right on target, just do more, and let us see it.

Lee Schierer
11-12-2003, 8:52 AM
Looks like the turning virus you picked up at Grumbines is working efectively. there is no cure now you know you are too far down the slippery slope. Good looking work. Bet you can sell dozens of those snow men.

Jim Becker
11-12-2003, 9:27 AM
All this turning you're doing, it's pretty clear any any more children would be a miracle! :D

Nice job on these. I too like the snowman...and it's something you could easily turn out [sic] in quanities very quickly for gifts and so forth.

And Bob, that snowman does have arms...you can't see them because he has his hands in his pockets to keep them cold. :o

Noah Alkinburgh
11-12-2003, 11:15 AM
Don,

The first picture is of little tea lights. They are little candles that sit in metal cups about 1 1/2" - 1 9/16" in diameter.

Bud, the rings were turned as 4 beads and then each was seperated. I used the skew to turn the beads and a scratch awl to seperate them :eek: No need for a fancy pants captive ring tool. :rolleyes: Once the rings are seperated they just kind of sit there and flop around. You can move them around on the spindle. Now becasue of my "method" (if you can call it that) of seperating them, there was actually still quite a bit of wood there so the ring could not easily move over to where I was seperating the next one.

The snow man! Isn't he fun! I got the idea from Nick Cook's website. He is made from a scrap piece of 2x4 and some walnut. He is not quite finished as he needs a scarf and a little hanging hook so he can go on the tree. I am going out to get that stuff today :) Also in the future I will use a sanding sealer before I paint and draw so I don't get the running in the grain like I did with the mouth...when all done I will aresol him with some satin laquer or poly.

Noah

Tom Sweeney
11-12-2003, 4:06 PM
All that stuff looks great - even the pens ;)

That snowman is too cool :cool:
I'll have to make a few of them myself.

Looks like your well on your way :D

next lets see a bowl - maybe a box elder one :rolleyes: :D