PDA

View Full Version : best pen finish

Jay L. Christopher
12-20-2006, 10:56 PM
:confused: Hi my name is Jay L. Christopher I have been reading this forum from it's begining ,thats about the time I got hooked on the lath. I don't have a camera yet, but there is xmas.
My question is what is your best finish you use on pens?

Joe Pack
12-20-2006, 11:05 PM
I have tried Myland's, HUT, ShellWax and a couple of home brews. By far the best combination of ease of application and long life is from Behlen's Woodturner's Finish. I crank out several hundred small craft show type turnings a year. The Behlen's finish goes on, is friction dried and off the mandrel in about 30 seconds. I have had repeat customers come back to a show a year after purchasing an item and show it to me...the finish still looks good most of the time...unless they have been using it as a hammer or pry bar. :-)

Dario Octaviano
12-20-2006, 11:34 PM
My favorite is CA (crazy glue). Lacquer comes a distant 2nd.

My experience with friction polish is marginal. Looks great initially but deteriorates fast.

Jason Hallowell
12-21-2006, 1:15 AM
I agree with Dario. I just started turning pens recently myself, and after a little experimenting, I am sold on CA (super glue). I tried a few friction polishes, which were very quick and easy, but wore off and got a dirty look to them after a week in the pocket. I also tried some spray laquer, and while the end result was great, it was very time consuming, and not the easiest to control. The CA is fairly easy, fast, and long lasting. The only drawbacks to the CA, are that it can be a little pricey when compared to other finishes, and the fumes bother some people. It takes some time to get the CA finish technique down, but it is well worth it IMO.

Bob Noles
12-21-2006, 6:16 AM
Jay,

Lacquer is first on my list, but does require a little time. It gives me a deep clear finish and according to Russ Fairfield, is among the top for durability. I turn as a hobby only, so time is on my side :D

John Hart
12-21-2006, 6:29 AM
What them guys said....and lacquer's my favorite...but I usually do CA/BLO:) Welcome to the Creek Jay!! May your trip through the vortex be a long dizzy experience.;) :)

terry miller
12-21-2006, 3:59 PM
You will likely get as many different answers to this as their is turners here. I use a solution of Plexiglass dissolved in acetone for all of my pens.

Keith Burns
12-21-2006, 4:09 PM
First, welcome to the Creek Jay:) :) I hope you find it as enjoyable and educational as I have. Now for my pen finish.....I typically sand thru 12000 micromesh and then use the old standard "spit polish". Easy to re-buff when needed.:eek: Okay, okay, just kidding, sheeeze.

Bernie Weishapl
12-21-2006, 11:26 PM
I use lacquer and like it the best.

Corey Hallagan
12-21-2006, 11:39 PM
The friction polishes will give you a qick glossy finish but they will be short lived. Woodturners Polish will last a little longer but it to will fade. I have not used CA but in my opinion is the nicest looking finish when it is done right. There is a learning curve. I use Enduro - A water based poly finish.. applied like CA. I also like lacquer but it is nasty stuff. A real nice long lasting quick to apply finish is applying rubbing deft gloss lacquer on the lathe and letting it set a minute and wipe off and burnis it in. Repeated several times and then let cure for about 5 days. Must let it cure. Very nice hard finsih with a long lasting shine. Very easy to do. Turning pens are fun and I think the finish should be fun to apply to so find a method that you enjoy to do and gives you good results. Have fun.
Corey

Jay L. Christopher
12-22-2006, 1:21 PM
thanks guy . i tryed friction polish,and didn't like it .so i will ca.

Sparky Paessler
12-23-2006, 11:02 AM
I like to take my pen blanks after I cut them to rough length and drill them and put them in a can of thined ploy. I then put the can in a vacuum jar and pull a vacuum on it for about 24 hours. The blanks will usually sink to the bottom of the can. I then let them dry and turn them. The finish is all through the wood this way and can't wear off.