PDA

View Full Version : A Bit Rustic I Guess

Ken Wright
02-26-2003, 1:32 PM
I found this walnut slab on Ebay and figured I had to have it because it appeared that the grain of the wood was really nice. So ... I bid it in. Then became the problem of what to do with it. Since the piece was kiln dried and most of the bark was still around the edges I hated to cut it up because even the sap wood had some curl in it. So .... this is the result. Its a mud room bench with a place for muddy shoes. Measures 38x21x19. The rails are from 3" walnut and its finished with 9 coats of BriWax Danish.

Ken Wright
02-26-2003, 1:34 PM
Hope it comes next.

Ted Shrader
02-26-2003, 1:37 PM
Ken -

Well done! Sometimes the wood just designs the furniture itself. I seem to remember a school of thought about that ......

Looks great!
Ted

Bob Lasley
02-26-2003, 1:44 PM
to put something that nice in the mud room. I would think a prominent place in the living room would be better suited! :)

Very nice looking piece.

Bob

Dick Parr
02-26-2003, 2:01 PM
Very Nice Ken, If you have any more Walnut that you don't know what to do with. Email me and I'll send ya my address. All kidding aside, it's hard to go wrong with walnut.

Jim Young
02-26-2003, 8:27 PM
Beautiful Ken. That's artistic. I've been wanting to do something like that also. Couple of years ago there was a very colorful slab of wood on ebay, I quit bidding at $200.

Ken Wright
02-27-2003, 5:21 AM
for the nice comments. I actually bid two of these in but the second is not quite as nice as this one. No idea what I'll do with it yet.