PDA

View Full Version : I guess it qualifies as turning but, some flat

Chris Barton
12-20-2006, 8:12 PM
... work was involved as well. Just the legs were done using flat skills all the rest turned from some scrap curly cherry I had from the federal period card table I made earlier this year. It is stained with Transtint "Honey Amber" and finished with shellac and then a dark cherry gel stain was used as a glaze. I still need to rub it out with some extra fine steel wool and wax. The piece is about 26" tall with a 18 diameter to the top. Sorry about the photography in advance... Musings, critiques, etc all welcome.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-20-2006, 8:18 PM
Boy Chris! Exquisite! That's one project that I was committed to do this year for 3 people and didn't get to it. Wow! What is the thickness of the table top and the legs? I really like the detail on the legs! Very well done Sir!

Steve Schlumpf
12-20-2006, 8:22 PM
Chris, absolutely beautiful table!! Great wood, excellant detailing and beautiful color! A table to be proud of!!

Christopher K. Hartley
12-20-2006, 8:22 PM
Beautiful work and wood Chris! What else would we expect from you? Thanks for sharing.:)

Scott Donley
12-20-2006, 9:46 PM
Really nice work Chris. Guess here is still room for flat work in a round world :D

Chris Barton
12-21-2006, 5:45 AM
Boy Chris! Exquisite! That's one project that I was committed to do this year for 3 people and didn't get to it. Wow! What is the thickness of the table top and the legs? I really like the detail on the legs! Very well done Sir!

Good Morning Ken,

I have though of making a piece like this (colonial candle stand) for some time now but only realized I had the perfect collection of scraps for this piece last weekend. The top is about 5/8" thick in the center and the bottom gently slopes to 3/8" at the edge. The legs are about 7/8" thick. I think I may have about 3-4 hours in this piece. It is a Christmas present for some friends of mine from my days (years) at LSUMC. I am sure I will be making more since it seems to be very popular with the folks around my house... Thanks for your comments!

John Hart
12-21-2006, 6:30 AM
Beautiful piece Chris! If I did one...it'd wobble....guaranteed.:o :)

George Tokarev
12-21-2006, 7:03 AM
Did you do the sliding Dovetails on the legs? It's the best, and once the jig is constructed, easiest way to do the job, because it's self-clamping. Figured the knob on the bottom might be a cap to conceal the joinery.

John, anything with only three legs won't wobble. Trouble is, it looks strange on something with four corners.

John Hart
12-21-2006, 7:09 AM
....John, anything with only three legs won't wobble....

Oh sure...bring physics into it. :rolleyes: I'd find a way.;)

Glenn Clabo
12-21-2006, 7:24 AM
WOW! Nice work CHris.

Mark Pruitt
12-21-2006, 8:36 AM
Great job Chris! I like everything about it. The recipient will be proud to have it!

If I did one...it'd wobble....guaranteed.:o :)
John, just set it on an uneven floor...nobody'll notice.:p :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
12-21-2006, 10:17 AM
Very nice, Chris!!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-21-2006, 10:39 AM
Oh sure...bring physics into it. :rolleyes: I'd find a way.;)

John....You'd just have fun telling everybody how difficult it was to make that slanting table top.....:D

George Conklin
12-21-2006, 11:59 AM
Wow! I sure enjoy looking at your work. Thanks for sharing.

BTW. The top is stunning!

Nicely done, Chris.

Kurt Loup
12-21-2006, 12:06 PM
Chris,

Sweet. Did you laminate the spindle? It doesn't look like it in the picture. I have some mahogany on hand for a project like that, but the mahogany's grain isn't anything special. Did you turn the top on your lathe? I am thinking about making a Windsor type stool with a turned seat.

Kurt

Paul Engle
12-21-2006, 12:17 PM
Chris my address is .....very very nice ......... very ... very :D

Dick Strauss
12-21-2006, 1:23 PM
Chris,
That is a beautiful piece!!!

How did you get the curly/quilted maple smooth? I tried planing a few boards and had no luck at all (lots of tearout).

Thanks,
Dick

Henry Cavanaugh
12-21-2006, 4:14 PM
Very nice Chris. I am making some similar tables as gifts. Is the column from plans or your own design. I would love to copy it. I was planning to use a garnet shellac and skip the stain hoping for a similar beautifull look.

Corey Hallagan
12-21-2006, 11:32 PM
Oh, this was just a weekend project! Wow, that is nice Chris. Some real nice craftsmanship. I love the color you achieved on it as well. Thanks for posting!

Corey

Chris Barton
12-23-2006, 5:21 AM
Good Morning,

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Sorry for the late update but, I was out of town for a few days. Now to answer the questions.

George- no I didn't dovetail the legs, they are attached using slot mortises and urethane glue. I use urethane glue very little but, do on legs that will have lateral stress. I have done dovetailed legs before and have a homemade router stand that works with my lathe to make the cuts but, I have also used just the slot mortise with good results. Dovetails were used in these pieces originally because hide glues of the time weren't strong enough to stand the lateral stress placed upon the joint. Not a problem with urethane.

Dick- I used curly cherry on this piece and turned all but the legs on the lathe. Shear cuts made for no tearout. I have only attended 1 class on turning and that's where I learned shear cutting. One of the best things I learned in that class.

Kurt- I did laminate the spindle. I made this piece completely out of scrap. You have seen my shop and know I don't throw away anything. So, I had this piece of leftover 8/4 cherry about 28" long and 5" wide with a huge strip of sap wood on the outside. I laminated it and turned it with the lamination joint about 1/2" lateral of the center to prevent the centers from stressing the joint while turning. I did turn the top and the portion of the top internal from the decorative rings is flat and about 3/8" lower than the edges.

Henry- The spindle is my own design and I drew it full sized on a scrap board as a pattern. I can make a copy and send it to you if you like. Just PM me with your address if you want me to send it your way.

Again, thanks to all for your comments.

John Miliunas
12-23-2006, 9:17 AM
Chris, though it's not proper etiquette to cross-post between forums, this one could qualify, though I'm very happy you chose to put it here! :D Wow! That is absolutely beautiful and in one of my most favorite woods, to boot! Exquisite piece with great attention to detail. Well done, my friend. Well done! :) :cool:

Bernie Weishapl
12-23-2006, 10:50 AM
Chris what can I say that hasn't been said. Beautiful piece. Very, very nice.