PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking on TV?

Steve Dewey
12-20-2006, 4:29 PM
Just got verizon fiber TV complete w/ DVR. Wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on recording any WW TV shows.

New Yankee on PBS
Woodworks on DIY
Wood turning on DIY
Tools & Techniques on DIY (pretty basic)

Just heard about woodright on PBS - but doesn't seem to have a 2006 schedule - did it get cancelled?

Are there any others out there that I am missing?

Michael Pfau
12-20-2006, 4:32 PM
Steve, Norm from your home state is the only one you need!! Just my opinion. Enjoy, and Merry Christmas, from western Montana

Steve Dewey
12-20-2006, 4:38 PM
Yeah, I like Norm, but I feel that I'm fairly competent with my power tools, I'd like to see more hand tool use...

Jim Becker
12-20-2006, 4:46 PM
Nice...I'm jealous. The fiber's been on my poles for 8 months now, but due to a problem "negotiating" with the township, VZ moved on to other areas for the time being. (Twp gave them a franchise unilaterally afterward, but they already had the crews elsewhere)
-----

Your list consists of the shows I know. Keep in mind that PBS listings are localized and your local station(s) may or may not carry programs despite them being available in other geographies. As far as I know, my local station(s) only carry NYW at present, although I haven't looked in awhile.

Darrin Davis
12-20-2006, 6:14 PM
Norm may not be on for much longer. I spoke with a man from Air Handling Systems that personally knows Norm and he said that Ace Hardware was going to buy the show and slowly start introducing tools for ADVERTISING, something this show is not known for. He said he would be shocked if Norm stays with the show. He said this will all take place within the next 2 years. Ace wants to come out with a New Yankee line of tools that will eventually be used on the show. Personally, I hope NOTHING changes! It's the best WW show on TV.

Chris Barton
12-20-2006, 8:33 PM
Norm has publicly stated that his tenure on NYW is nearing it's conclusion but, that Russell Morash the producer/director and owner of the shop set, plans to continue the series and that potential candidates for his successor are being considered...

Joe Mioux
12-20-2006, 8:47 PM
Hmmmm is it just me or does the sound of "Ace Hardware and New Yankee Workshop" lack continuity?

Joe

Travis Porter
12-20-2006, 9:27 PM
I still get the Woodwright's shop.

A few others you may or may not like (some I do, some I don't).

The router workshop on PBS
Handmade music on DIY
Freeform furniture on DIY
Hammered on HGTV
American Homeshop on PBS

Jerry Olexa
12-20-2006, 10:35 PM
The NYW without Norm would be like a hotdog without mustard or relish. I hope it doesn't happen. He is the show.

Lars A Stole
12-20-2006, 10:50 PM
If you like woodturning, you may want to check out the "Woodturning Workshop" with Tim Yoder on PBS. It comes out of a PBS station in Oklahoma, so you may have to hunt around the cable channels to find it. I have gotten far more out of this program than the "woodturning basics" and "wood turning techniques" programs on DIY.

Anyone else like this program? I'm surprised it doesn't get more mention.

Lars

Gary Keedwell
12-20-2006, 10:54 PM
Possible candidates? Now where is my plaid shirt? Wouldn't that be a great job? Going to work everyday to play with tools?

Gary K.

Keith Beck
12-21-2006, 8:51 AM
Lars/Steve,

I just got my Cable DVR and while I was setting it up to record my favorite woodworking shows, I discovered there's also a woodturning show on the CREATE channel. I haven't actually seen the show yet, but if you get that channel, it might be worth a look-see.

Keith

Joe Trotter
12-21-2006, 10:08 AM
Possible candidates? Now where is my plaid shirt? Wouldn't that be a great job? Going to work everyday to play with tools?

Gary K.

I like Norm as well, I have watched his show for years.

Maybe Al can replace him :)

http://www.pmpnetwork.com/richard_karn/richard.jpg

Michael Fross
12-21-2006, 11:24 AM
Ok, while not technically on "TV" the woodworking channel is a great find. If you have a good internet connection, you can get woodworking shows 24x7.

It can be found at:

http://www.thewoodworkingchannel.com

Have fun.

Michael

Art Mulder
12-21-2006, 11:33 AM

Gary K.

I think I'd be terrified. I'd see all my own failings.

As for other hosts, or other shows. I'd love to see someone with skills like Chris Becksvoort run a few shows. I'd also like to see a series of shows designed to introduce people to woodworking and help build their skills.

How about Shelley Bolster or Gail O'Rourke!

Eric Mims
12-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Woodwright's Shop is the most entertaining to me.

Jason Morgan
12-21-2006, 12:04 PM
"Regular Joe Gets Chance at Stardom" is not totally out of the question. That is how the current hose of This Old House got started. He actually wrote in to the Ask This Old House spinoff and through the course of filming they decided to give him a shot. Must have worked, I like him as much as I like Steve Thomas.

Jim Becker
12-21-2006, 3:35 PM
If you have a good internet connection, you can get woodworking shows 24x7.

That is indeed the case with the OP...fiber to the home is a very nice thing! :p And it doesn't slow down like many cable services do when a bunch of your neighbors need to share the same bandwidth. (any bottlenecks are further towards the core of the network)

Michael Gibbons
12-21-2006, 5:25 PM
Norm may not be on for much longer. I spoke with a man from Air Handling Systems that personally knows Norm and he said that Ace Hardware was going to buy the show and slowly start introducing tools for ADVERTISING, something this show is not known for. He said he would be shocked if Norm stays with the show. He said this will all take place within the next 2 years. Ace wants to come out with a New Yankee line of tools that will eventually be used on the show. Personally, I hope NOTHING changes! It's the best WW show on TV.

I don't believe that they can advertise except for the spot at the beginning of the shown letting people know they are sponsors, that's why the brand names are covered up on the tools. Thats what I've heard of PBS guidelines. I hope things don't change either. Norm or nothing. Maybe they should start a new handtool only show?

Lars A Stole
12-22-2006, 8:27 AM
Keith,

I'm jealous. I don't think RCN-Chicago offers the CREATE channel. I certainly can't find it on my cable box.

Let us know more about the woodturning show when you get a chance.

Lars

John Piwaron
12-22-2006, 1:31 PM
I still get the Woodwright's shop.

A few others you may or may not like (some I do, some I don't).

Freeform furniture on DIY
Hammered on HGTV

I don't particularly care for Freeform Furniture. The projects haven't been any that are of interest.

"Hammered" sounds like a drinking game of some kind.

Jeffrey Makiel
12-22-2006, 7:22 PM
DIY also has a "Modern Furniture" show hosted by a young women. It comes on just before Woodworks on Saturday night at 9:00pm. Although it's not just about woodworking, it still beats watching sitcoms and police drama shows!
-Jeff :)

Joe Jensen
12-26-2006, 1:21 AM
Maybe it's me, but Norm is far from a cabinet making role model for me. At least he's evolved from the early years. Back then a rabbit was an advanced technique, and every surface had nails. He drove a whole generation of woodworkers to think they needed air nailers. He's a lot better in the past few years, and the projects are more interesting, and he has learned to account for wood movement.

Leon Jester
12-26-2006, 7:58 PM
According to the sched at PBS (www.pbs.org (http://www.pbs.org)) none of the MA stations are showing Roy's show for the next two weeks. No reason listed.

My local station (Blue Ridge Public TV in Roanoke) lists it for the 30th of DEC. as does WUNC (from where it originates).