PDA

View Full Version : I had to say goodbye today...

Bill Lewis
12-20-2006, 3:38 PM
I had to say my final goodbye today to our Austrailian Shepherd dog Brandy (Calvados Brandy) aka "Wiggles". She didn't quite make it to 3 years old. She has been suffering from epilepsy since she was about 1 year old. We had tried virtually every treatment and drug out there to control her siezures to no avail. Without going in to the details, we finally decided it was time. She has been having siezures almost constantly, day and night for the last three days. I spent the better part of the morning cradling her to help her through. I finally asked my wife to take her away.

In Spite of her epilepsy Brandy and my wife earned several obedience titles. She was also one of the happiest dogs I have ever met. In the brief periods of normalcy she was bright, loveable, energetic and playful, and one heck of a frisbee dog too. Right up to the end. It pains me so much to write this. She will be sorely missed by my wife and I and her "brother" Harley (the German Shepard).

The pIcture below is one of the last that I took of her just a few days ago.

BTW, In case some of you may have noticed, I have been somewhat absent from the creek for the last 6 months or so. I've been deailing with an injury that occured back in June (broken and dislocated ankle, the surgery to repair, and some complications). I sure hope the next year is better than this one.

David Wilson
12-20-2006, 3:45 PM
Bill
You have my deepest sympathy's. We lost our dog a little over a year ago and still miss her. In time you will only remember the good times.

john whittaker
12-20-2006, 3:48 PM
Hi Bill.

Very sorry for your loss. Sounds like you and your wife gave her the absolute best life she could have had. She sounds like a great companion and must have been a quick study to win awards at such a young age.

Glad you are back... and here's wishing you a complete recovery on your ankle and a healthy next year.

John

Jim Becker
12-20-2006, 3:56 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss, Bill...our pets are very much members of the family and when they leave us, it hurts. Bad. You'll always enjoy the memories, however, and Brandy will live on that way.

Relative to the seizures, friends of mine had the same issue earlier in the year with their lab mix, Aggie, and ultimately ended up in the same situation as you. It was unbelievable what each one did to the animal and they finally had to make the same decision. They recently visited the local shelter on a whim and found themselves the parents of a new friend...the timing was perfect as a delightful standard poodle/lab mix was dropped off the day before. She's not really a replacement for Aggie, but they were ready at that point for renewing the companionship. You may find that to be true for you at some point, too.

BTW, 'hope you're feeling better yourself...stop by frequently to the 'Creek and hang out!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-20-2006, 4:56 PM
Sorry to hear of you loss Bill. The funny thing about canine friends....they don't ask for much and give so much! We put our last ones down 11 years ago when their health problems became more than they or us could bear. As the wife and I both work, we haven't replaced them yet. When we retire in less than 3 years, I'm going to get another and probably a 2nd to accompany the first.

Here's hoping next year is a better year for you!

Gary Herrmann
12-20-2006, 5:02 PM
Sorry for your loss, Bill. Hopefully that cute shepherd will sense your pain and offer condolences as all good dogs do.

Bruce Page
12-20-2006, 6:00 PM
Sorry to hear that Bill. They become such a large part of or lives. We had to put our yellow lab down two years ago and it still hurts when I think about him.

W Craig Wilson
12-20-2006, 6:13 PM
Bill,
One of the brightest dogs I have had was a Border & Rough Collie mix. He too had epilepsy and we lost him after just two short years. It's never easy to loose such friends, but you have seen the effects of this ravage and know in your heart that he's in a better place

My deepest sympathies to you and your family.

http://indigo.org/rainbow/

Doug Shepard
12-20-2006, 6:47 PM
Sorry to hear about Brandy. At least Harley is there to help avoid the empty house feeling, though I'm sure it still feels like there's a gaping hole in your hearts. Thankfully China (my Aussie/Chow mix) is healthy but I know we're destined to outlive our "kids" and dread the day when she and I have to go through what you have. I've had to put down a couple of cats, but China is my first dog since I was a kid. I know it's going to be much harder to deal with than the cats when that time comes. Hang in there.

Dennis Peacock
12-20-2006, 6:51 PM
Sorry to hear of you loss Bill. Thoughts and prayers to you and the family.

Speedy recovery on the ankle. Nice to see you back.

Ron Jones near Indy
12-20-2006, 6:59 PM
We offer our deepest sympathy. Times like this are always hard for those who love their dogs. May the new year bring better for you and your family.

Richard Wolf
12-20-2006, 7:03 PM
No words can help.

Richard

Joe Pelonio
12-20-2006, 7:07 PM
I'm very sorry to hear the sad news, Bill. We have lost a few dogs over the years and it doesn't get any easier with experience. They definitely become members of the family. Your time with her was way too short, but I commend you for doing all you could to make her short life a good one.

Doug Lindley
12-20-2006, 7:25 PM
My sympathies to you and your family. As pet owners we all fear the day when we will have to experience what you are going through. While Brandy was only with you for a short time I'm sure see was a wonderful companion, and you must know you did the right think for her.

Doug

Dave Anderson NH
12-20-2006, 7:36 PM
My sympathies Bill. We lost Otis our English Springer about 2.5 years ago and it was heart wrenching. He has not been replaced yet because it has taken my wife Sue over 2 years to stop crying every time she thinks of him. Perhaps the hardest thing I ever did was cradle him in my arms as the vet put him to sleep. I cried like a baby.

Ken Garlock
12-20-2006, 7:36 PM
You have my sympathy, Bill. I do know how you feel, as I went through the same ordeal back in October. Pets are good company even if they just set around and let you know they are there. They are good listeners and never get mad or contradict you.

Here is hoping you can find another with the same fine attributes as Brandy.

Jim O'Dell
12-20-2006, 7:45 PM
Bill, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. We had a similar situation with our first show Irish. Epilepsy is a nasty thing, and so unpredictable. We were lucky in that we were able to find a way to control his episodes without medicine, and he also earned his championship and CD. We had to put Brie down at about 11 years old, and it was really tough. In fact my now 11.5 year old boy quit playing with toys almost to the day we put Brie down. Never has played with them again. Hug Harley a lot. He's lost a buddy too. Jim.

Jerry Olexa
12-20-2006, 7:57 PM
I partially understand as we've been through that a few times. Very difficult. Try to remember the good times. She has no pain now..

John C. Wilson
12-20-2006, 8:19 PM
Bill I could barely get through your thread with dry eyes as the same happened to me with our beloved beagle some years back.
I know it's hard for you to believe you did the right thing putting her down but take it from one pet lover to another my friend , you put her at peace and she willbe forever grateful .
At 51 I still let the tears flow when I loose a pet......... it's part of the healing and only time will help. Take care Bill , the world needs more pet lovers like you...........John

Bryan Somers
12-20-2006, 10:09 PM
Sorry to hear about this Bill. There have been several of us here that have lost our faithful friends this year and I like what Ken said they ask so little and give so much. We had to make that same decision last winter with a black lab that was with us almost 13 yrs so I know how tough it is.

Jim Dunn
12-20-2006, 10:33 PM
Bill so sorry to read about your dog leaving you at such a young age. We had a sheltie that lived to the ripe old age of 19. Hardest thing I've had to do in quite a long time was have him put down. Our sincerest sympathys.

Bill Lewis
12-22-2006, 4:52 PM
Thank you all for your support and kind words. I just wanted to stop by an "check in". Right now we're coping and doing what we can to stay busy. Lot's of day trips, and even some shop time have helped to distract us. It's definately way too quiet around here, and the big dog is definately missing being herded around the yard. There will be another Aussie dog for him sometime in the future, but it's gonna take some time before that happens.
Brandy touched so many people, the phone calls, cards, and emails have been pouring in. She was a very special personality indeed. Each night we have raised a glass of Calvados Brandy (her namesake) to her and will probably continue until the bottle is empty.
Thanks again,
Bill

Phyllis Meyer
12-22-2006, 5:56 PM
Dear Bill,

We understand what you went through with the epilepsy. We know the decision you made was not easy, but for the best! Our Mandie had that also and we decided it was time a year ago! She would have 3 good weeks and 1 bad out of the month. She was on every pill the vet was willing to try. The best lab-mutt anyone could ever have. She was our 3rd daughter! I just lasered a frame for one of our million pictures of her that reads: "Your paws left prints on our hearts forever"

You have our prayers, it's not easy! May you have a wonderful Christmas and remember all the wonderful times with your special friend!

Sincerely,

The Meyers

Jack Dickey
12-22-2006, 6:30 PM
Oh man I feel for ya ..

Scooter in 1986 , a beagle whose belly drug the floor , if ya had fed him dog food he woulda thought you were trying to poison him ..

PeeWee in 1988 , a bird dog who ran everywhere and full of life ..

Roper , the BIGGEST hurt , January 28 , 2001 collie/lab mix .. Still hurts .. Loved EVERYBODY ..

Harley , 2001 , a beautiful pupp , who turned out to be the UGLIEST critter you ever laid your eyes on .. He had a miserable life plagued with skin issues ..

River is 10 , a blonde lab and something mix .. He's getting arthritis now , its rimadyl ever so often for that .. Eyes are starting to go a bit .. But he's still full of it ..
As a pup we didnt have high hopes for him coming out decent , but , Ole Ropin' Dawg , trained him good on what it takes to be TOPDAWG ..

Had everyone from the time they were young pups .. it's hard , sadly you know the odds of who is leaving first ..

Bill Lewis
12-23-2006, 5:39 PM
Ahhhh, caught you smiling at me,
That's the way it should be,
Like a leaf is to a tree, so fine.
Ahhhh, all the good times we had,
I sang love songs so glad
Always smiling, never sad, so fine.

as we walk down the country lanes,
Ill be singing a song,
Hear me calling your name.
Hear the wind within the trees,
Telling mother nature bout you and me.

Well if the sunshines so bright,
Or on our way its darkest night
The road we choose is always right, so fine.
Ahhh, can your love be so strong
When so many loves go wrong
Will our love go on and on and on and on and on and on?

as we walk down the country lanes,
Ill be singing a song,
Hear me calling your name.
Hear the wind within the trees,
Telling mother nature bout you and me.

My oh my la de la come on now it aint too far,
Tell your friends all around the world,
Aint no companion like a blue eyed merle.
Come on now well let me tell you,
What your missing, missing, round them brick walls.

So, of one thing I am sure,
Its a friendship so pure,
Angels singing all around
My door, so fine.

Yeah, aint but one thing to do
Spend my natral life with you,
Youre the finest dog I knew, so fine.
When youre old and your eyes are dim,
There aint no old shep gonna happen again,
Well still go walking down country lanes,
Ill sing the same old songs,
Hear me call your name

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, a song by Robert Plant about his herding dog, "Strider" I don't know if his was an Aussie dog, but this song just describes our Brandy to a tee. Always happy and bouncy and smiling (except when the bad stuff took over).
Someone told us that Brandy would find us another dog. Well she might have done that today. We'll know more next week. Stay tuned...

Merry Christmas!

Jack Dickey
12-23-2006, 6:14 PM
They do that ( finding you another dog ), sometimes there is a bit of guilt on your part at first , but , the new pup wins you over FAST ..
Good Luck

Al Willits
12-25-2006, 9:04 AM
We're on dog number four and when the three past dogs time was up, it killed us both, I can understand the hurt your going though, I still tear up thinking about them damn dogs.

Our condolences to you and your family, there is no good way to say good by.

Al

Jack Dickey
12-26-2006, 5:07 AM
I still tear up thinking about them damn dogs.

Our condolences to you and your family, there is no good way to say good by.

Al

Couldnt say it better myself ..

Steve LaFara
12-26-2006, 4:41 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss. We lost a 15 year old ShiTzu last year and the little one, a 3 year old Malteese was lost for weeks without her big brother. Remeber to take care of Harley as he is feeling the same as you. We ended up getting another ShiTzu and now the Malteese has a hard time keeping up with the puppy, but she's happy again for sure. Hope '07 holds a lot better things for you and your family!