PDA

View Full Version : new house

Tommy Curtiss
12-20-2006, 3:37 PM

It has been a while since I last posted but I have been busy
I have been building a new house after I got finished with the shop
The only thing I contracted out was the rock work,sheetrock and tape and bedding,,,,,the rest I did myself,,,from plumbing to cabinet work,
A friend of mine helped me build the cabinets and doors but I installed them and finished them in place,,that was the hardest 8 weeks of my life.

All in all this project took me 8 months to get somewhat complete,,we are moving in friday
It is located about 75 ft from my "Barn-do-minium"( woodshop with living quarters),,,so tell me what you think

Jim O'Dell
12-20-2006, 4:04 PM
That's SWEET, Tommy! I see you went with the stained concrete floors. We have some friends in Burleson that went that route, and they love it. You have been busy. What a neat Christmas present!! Don't kill youselves moving this weekend. Jim.

Aaron Beaver
12-20-2006, 4:17 PM
Very Nice Christmas present. Made it all worth while I bet.

Jim Becker
12-20-2006, 4:52 PM
Congrats on the new house! 'Just in time for the holiday season, too.

Dave Fifield
12-20-2006, 5:10 PM
Nice job on the house there Tommy! Bet you're real proud - and you should be!!

:Dave F.

Ken Garlock
12-20-2006, 7:44 PM
Very nice house, Tommy. You did a good job on the kitchen cabinets. The house looks nice from the outside. It reminds me of a Texas ranch house.

Set back and enjoy the fruits of your labor.:)

Jerry Olexa
12-20-2006, 8:03 PM
Nice results. Kitchen looks good and your extra reward is the $ you saved! Great job...

Tommy Curtiss
12-21-2006, 10:21 AM
Thanks for all the compliments,It was a labor of love to do this and with all of yall approval makes it that much more enjoyable.
I did learn a lot building this house,from the concrete to the cabinets,,and I must say I would really think about it twice before I took on the challange again,,and I would sub a few more things out,,like the framing for sure,,,2340 sf by yourself is not fun,,it is hard work,,and a framing crew can do it in 2 weeks as to 2 months for me,,but I did learn a lot

Thanks for looking and all the compliment again,,,Tommy

Art Mulder
12-21-2006, 11:24 AM
Looks great. I like metal roofing. I also like the raised dishwasher. Tough to install?

What is that silver drawer that is under the wall oven? And in the same photo, the wall jack to the right of the light switch? Is that an A/V jack?

Happy Christmas!

John Marshall
12-21-2006, 11:31 AM
Very nice place you got there. :cool: Someday I hope to do the same.

Matt Moore
12-21-2006, 11:47 AM
Did you work on this full time or after a day job. Looks great. Something similar is in my future. I may build a shop/apartment for my family to live in while we build since I expect it to take some time. I won't be able to do it full time.

Tommy Curtiss
12-21-2006, 12:04 PM
no the dishwasher was a standerd install,,,it's just built in a cabinet that is has a 12'' "riser",,,and yes, the house is wired for cable,internet and phone and fax lines,,it will be "wireless" when I get thru,,but it as 12 outlets thruout the house.
And the drawer under the oven is a Thermodor warming drawer for breads,,my wife found it at a garage sale for $20.00,( a new one is $800.00)

Karl Laustrup
12-21-2006, 12:28 PM
Very nice Tommy. A labor of love indeed. One that you and your family will cherish for many years to come.

Merry Christmas! Happy New Year!

Karl

Jim Becker
12-21-2006, 3:39 PM
And the drawer under the oven is a Thermodor warming drawer for breads,,my wife found it at a garage sale for $20.00,( a new one is $800.00)
Nice...I wanted to put one of these in our kitchen when I did it in 2003, but there just wasn't a space to put it. Very handy to have for any number of occasions, especially when preparing meals for a group.