PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Leaf troubles

Frank Kobilsek
12-20-2006, 2:32 PM
HELP!

Turned a walnut bowl Monday night and painted the rim with a gold paint/varnish. Looked very good. Note the past tense! Last night I wiped on a couple coats of Mahoney oil and the gold softened and ran off the rim. It wiped off nicely but its very soft yet this morning. I tested this stuff on my walnut 'Story stick' but still find myself in trouble. I thought the Liquid LEaf would hold up to the Oil as the direction said to clean brushes with xylene a pretty nasty solvent.

Here what I plan to do if no one offers a solution today. Put a coat of Mahoney wax on the bowl tonight, avoiding the rim as best I can. Tommorrow hand sand the rim and repaint the gold. Friday mask and spray a acrylic sealer on the gold. Deliver to customer Saturday. Customer is family so if it all falls off I can just replace the bowl but ...

Ideas?

Frank

Bob Hovde
12-20-2006, 5:34 PM
HELP!

Turned a walnut bowl Monday night and painted the rim with a gold paint/varnish. Looked very good. Note the past tense! Last night I wiped on a couple coats of Mahoney oil and the gold softened and ran off the rim. It wiped off nicely but its very soft yet this morning. I tested this stuff on my walnut 'Story stick' but still find myself in trouble. I thought the Liquid LEaf would hold up to the Oil as the direction said to clean brushes with xylene a pretty nasty solvent.

Here what I plan to do if no one offers a solution today. Put a coat of Mahoney wax on the bowl tonight, avoiding the rim as best I can. Tommorrow hand sand the rim and repaint the gold. Friday mask and spray a acrylic sealer on the gold. Deliver to customer Saturday. Customer is family so if it all falls off I can just replace the bowl but ...

Ideas?

Frank

If you could wait about a week, the gold might not run. Otherwise, you might try a coat of blonde shellac to protect it. The shellac dries almost immediately and can take most topcoats.

Bob