PDA

View Full Version : Poplar Shop Walls

Rob Bodenschatz
12-20-2006, 1:45 PM
I would like to surface my shop interior walls with wood. I like the look of pine but I can get a pretty good deal on some poplar. $.70/bf. Would there be any reason not to do it in poplar? Please don't make this into a drywall vs. wood debate. I was just wondering if there's anything about poplar that would cause you to not use it.

Chuck Saunders
12-20-2006, 1:51 PM
No reason I can think of.
Go for it
Chuck

Hank Knight
12-20-2006, 1:54 PM
As a purely subjective comment, I think poplar is unattractive. I would prefer something with a warmer tone. If I planned on painting it, I think poplar would be fine.

glenn bradley
12-20-2006, 2:15 PM
I would assume you will paint to get the reflective quality so the green through yellow colorations that so often show up in poplar should not be an issue with a good primer.

Jim Becker
12-20-2006, 2:53 PM
Hank, poplar ages to a nice mellow brown color after a short time in UV and with oxidation...it actually looks very similar to pine in that respect, especially if varnished.

Rob...no reason I can see and you might be a good candidate for using the knotty boards which I HAVE used in place of pine in projects, such as my armoire. You may be able to get it even less expensive with the knots. Ask... ;)

nic obie
12-20-2006, 3:05 PM
Green poplar looks great with a red dye sprayed on it. Like Jim mentioned it browns out after a while anyway.

Bryan Lord
12-20-2006, 3:08 PM
Not knowing your ultimate intent I would question the strength of poplar. I finished my entire shop with 3/4" maple plywood. It is strong enough that I can hang anything from the walls without worry about the weight. I'm not sure poplar would give you that capability.

Scott Loven
12-20-2006, 3:15 PM
Wow, I plan to do my shop in 45 sheets of 1/2 inch osb, hate to think what maple plywood would cost:0

Jim Becker
12-20-2006, 3:44 PM
Not knowing your ultimate intent I would question the strength of poplar. I finished my entire shop with 3/4" maple plywood. It is strong enough that I can hang anything from the walls without worry about the weight. I'm not sure poplar would give you that capability.

Yea, it would. Poplar is "harder" than pine and many folks have the insides of their shop clad in pine, "Norm" included. Plywood can be stronger, however...but it's a bit more than 70 cents a board foot!

Bryan Lord
12-20-2006, 11:00 PM
Wow, I plan to do my shop in 45 sheets of 1/2 inch osb, hate to think what maple plywood would cost:0

It twernt that expensive when I bought it 10 years ago! Now I would need a 2nd mortgage to do it. I had a 3 car external garage built to house a tractor and 59 and 65 Vettes. Sold the 59 when I decided to do woodworking and converted 2 bays into the wood shop. The 3rd bay still has the 65 big block but probably going to sell it this spring. Need room for a paint booth and the durn plastic car is now in the way! Priorities change!!!!

Bryan

Ben Grunow
12-21-2006, 9:30 PM
Planning on a t&g edge or shiplap or something to account for the shrinkage?