PDA

View Full Version : Calligraphy Pen kits?

Dominic Greco
12-20-2006, 12:37 PM
Hi everyone,

A co-worker has asked me to turn her some new quill holders for her calligraphy pens. Does anyone know someplace I could buy the brass inserts that go with these? I went to CSUSA's website and didn't see anything like it.

I would imaging that a kit for these would contain a brass insert, and maybe a nib.

Thanks,

John Hart
12-20-2006, 1:35 PM
Hey Dominic

I've been interested in this too...so I did some checking around....called a few Caligraphy repair houses, etc.. And everyone kept asking, "have you talked to Chuck Swisher?"

Who's Chuck Swisher?
*gasp* You don't know who Chuck Swisher is?!!!:eek:
Well....uh....no....I don't.:o

tsk tsk...shame on me. Anyway...Chuck is some sort of Pen expert who used to make his own caligraphy pens. So I called his company. The receptionist was very impressed that I knew Chuck and had an interest in pen making....just like Chuck. So, she gave me his cell phone number.

I talked to Chuck for a bit, and he no longer does that sort of thing and doesn't think you can buy the Feed by itself (The Feed is the round thing that the nib goes in). He mentioned that he used to get his parts from some pen craft place in West Virginia, somewhere around Parkersburg or Wheeling....he wasn't real sure. He said that Penn State used to carry the stuff, but you'd have to by the whole kit, then tear it apart to insert it into your turning.

So...after all that. I'm sure you'll agree, I have been absolutely no help at all.

....but I got to talk to Chuck!;) :)

John Hart
12-20-2006, 1:47 PM
Wouldn't you know it....as soon as I posted that I found this:

http://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/shop/showmproduct.cfm?pid=273

It's in the UK but if you can't find anything near by......:confused:

Jeff Myers
12-20-2006, 4:01 PM
Found someone on this side of the pond...
http://www.trade80.com/JCP/products/penkits_nibs_Nibholder.htm

looks like same item from UK posted earlier.

John Hart
12-20-2006, 5:41 PM
Rock-n-roll! You're alright Jeff! :)

Dominic Greco
12-20-2006, 8:51 PM
Perfect! I guess all I have to do is order some up and get going. My friend at work is looking for a bunch of these. And she has a couple friends who do the same work. If I plan this right, I may be looking at a nice "production run".