PDA

View Full Version : Quick Wooden Spatulas.....with Oil Finish..

Roy Wall
12-20-2006, 11:34 AM
A mom (at my daughter's school) ask me Tuesday if I could do a quick project......for Christmas!

She gave me a wooden spatula ( Olive Wood) and was wanting 5 more for gifts. I cut the shapes and profiles on the Band Saw - THen Inverted my Rotex 150 in a vise and shaped away using 80-150 grit. Hand sanded to 220 grit.

Anyway - the plan is to coat with mineral oil and give her a WHITE scotch brite pad so she can renew with fresh oil as needed...your thoughts on this? I don't have any "Salad Bowl Finish" on hand. These will be used for Cooking!

Some pics....showing the original......with 3 Zebrawood, 1 Walnut, and 1 cherry. Notice they are all different in shape and profile...:o

EDIT -- Thanks for clarifying if I had any Toxic Wood:eek: :confused: -- I didn't think so and looks like I'm okay..

Also: Added a photo of the Mineral Oil Finish

Jim Becker
12-20-2006, 11:36 AM
Very nice, Roy! Mineral oil is the right product, too, IMHO.

Mark Singer
12-20-2006, 11:41 AM
Roy...your in business!

Roy Wall
12-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Roy...your in business!

This doesn't pay as well as the Day Job........:) :eek:

Jay Knepper
12-20-2006, 12:06 PM
Roy,

Great job!

That type of utensil is one we use a lot, and I'd been thinking about making one or two. Now I just might give it a try. Thanks for posting!

Reg Mitchell
12-20-2006, 12:37 PM
Nice going Roy...those are something that come in handy in my kitchen....but do women still cook these days :eek: seems like most under 35 know where the nice resturants are but not the pots and pans
Reg

Peter Gavin
12-20-2006, 4:58 PM
Great job, but isn't walnut supposed to be poisonous?

Peter

Jim Becker
12-20-2006, 5:42 PM
Great job, but isn't walnut supposed to be poisonous?

Yes...to horses. And it puts out a substance that "discourages" some plants not to grow.

Ron Jones near Indy
12-20-2006, 7:07 PM
Very nice! Another thing on the "honey do" list.

Mitchell Garnett
12-20-2006, 9:55 PM
seems like most under 35 know where the nice resturants are but not the pots and pans
Reg

OT - sounds like the old Rodney Dangerfield line: "my wife wanted to eat somewhere she'd never been so I took her to the kitchen"

Tom Jones III
12-21-2006, 9:09 AM
Yes...to horses. And it puts out a substance that "discourages" some plants not to grow.

The oil in walnut, juglone, has antiseptic, sedative and laxative properties. However it anyone suffers from using the spatulas then you need to tell them not to chew on the utensils.

Jim Becker
12-21-2006, 9:28 AM
However it anyone suffers from using the spatulas then you need to tell them not to chew on the utensils.

EXCELLENT point, Tom! :D

Bob Swenson
12-21-2006, 9:46 AM
Roy--
Walnut salad oil works, I think mineral oil is a laxative and fine for
counter tops. Mineral oil is a non drying oil .