PDA

View Full Version : Snow!!

Nancy Laird
12-20-2006, 10:47 AM
For those of you who don't believe it snows in New Mexico--because we are "in the desert"--here is a pic of our back yard this morning. About 4" on the ground at our house--our friends in NE Albuquerque got about 10" at their house.

We aren't going anywhere with ice under the snow on the streets. May be a day for some lathe time!

Nancy

Ken Fitzgerald
12-20-2006, 10:58 AM
As a kid living in Blanding Utah it used to amaze me..Not much more "desertish" than that..Hotter than..well.....dryer than that......Snow in the winter! Often it wasn't the temps that got to you but the huge temperature swings....

Rats!..........guess you'll just have to chuck some wood and turn that lathe on!:D

Jim O'Dell
12-20-2006, 11:26 AM
And that storm is supposed to miss us here in Ft. Worth. May have a slight chance for some snow Sunday am, but it won't stick on anything but the grass, unless it rains the night preceeding, then the over passes will freeze up. It could save me a trip to Oklahoma and increase my shop time if it decides to take a more southerly route!!
Pretty picture Nancy. Enjoy your day in the shop! Hope you've got heat. Jim.

Joe Pelonio
12-20-2006, 11:55 AM
We've been here now 13 years, and other than a 5 minute flurry that didn't stick one year we have yet to have a white Christmas. Now you get this storm a few days before, why couldn't it have waited. Here it's now
gotten warmer, low 40s so not much chance for this year either.

Enjoy!!

Tyler Howell
12-20-2006, 12:14 PM
I've skied Taos and love it.
Great state NM.

Dave Anderson NH
12-20-2006, 12:20 PM
Unfair, Unfair. Well Nancy, you could choose to be nice and send it up to us here in NH where it belongs. I'm old enough now that I don't enjoy the stuff several feet deep anymore, but I'm really sick and tired of looking out the window and seeing brown. The way things are going it looks like we are in for another brown Christmas. If it happens, it would mean the 3rd brown Christmas is 20 years.

Bob Childress
12-20-2006, 2:47 PM
Nancy,

I used to live in NE, near Tramway, and I always enjoyed watching the snow levels change abruptly, based on altitude. Tramway would have 2 or 3 inches, then as you went down toward the river, the snow would be less and less, so that by the time you hit even Thomas, the snow would be gone altogether! Of course, sometimes it just plain snowed--everywhere--and we just buttoned up and waited for it to melt.:)

Nancy Laird
12-20-2006, 3:04 PM
Unfair, Unfair. Well Nancy, you could choose to be nice and send it up to us here in NH where it belongs.

Dave, I'm not sending this snow anywhere. You'll have to come get it! NM has had such a drought problem over the past few years with insufficient rain and snowpacks--this is a blessing for us.

Forecasts say we could get another blast by the weekend, so we may have a white Christmas this year. Nyah, nyah, nyah. :D :D :D I'll think about your brown Christmas while I'm seeing about my 4th or 5th white one in 61 years!! (When you live below the Mason-Dixon line, white Christmases are few and far between.)

The streets are clear (at least the most traveled ones) - and I made it to my day job :(. Darn it!

Nancy

Dave Anderson NH
12-20-2006, 3:25 PM
See Nancy, while you pine for a white Christmas since you only get it very occasionally, we think about the fact that only every 5-6 years do we get a white Thanksgiving. One of our fun traditions years ago was to take the day after Thanksgiving and go swimming in the ocean at Rye beach in the morning and get a little snow skiing in up north in the mountains in the afternoon. 'Twas great fun.

Already the ski areas are crying poormouth since most only have one or two trails open. Who'd have thought that early December in the White Mountains would feature daytime temps in the high forties and low fiftes for well over a week and a half with half of the nights above freezing too. NH ski areas do almost a third of their business between Christmas and New Years.

Joe Mioux
12-20-2006, 8:59 PM
Yea: you and Bruce living in NM get all the snow!:confused:

Nancy Laird
12-20-2006, 9:05 PM
Yep, we got "lucky" this time--first decent snow in about two years. We need it! Ranged from 2 to 7 inches, largest snowfall since March 14, 2005, according to our daily rag. Our ski-area operators are doing a happy dance!

Nancy