PDA

View Full Version : Who makes this sharpening device?

Glen Blanchard
12-20-2006, 9:10 AM
I saw this just briefly on The Woodworking Channel this morning, but was not able to get any details. They were demonstrating some kind of motorized sharpening device the likes of which I have not previously seen. The best I can describe it is it has a disc that rotates in a horizontal plane - looks kind of like a turntable or record player in that regard. The disc can be quickly changed to a different grit of which there is an assortment. Looked pretty nifty. Anyone familiar with it?

Rick Lizek
12-20-2006, 9:18 AM
Couple of versions around. Look in Lee Valley, Woodcraft, etc to find it.

Kristian Wild
12-20-2006, 9:44 AM
Yup, sounds like the Veritas sharpening system from LV.

Glen Blanchard
12-20-2006, 9:55 AM
Well I looked at both the LV and Woodcraft systems. Although these are similar to what I saw on The Woodworking Channel, neither is exactly what was being demonstarted. About the only thing I saw that seems to distinguish it from these others is that it had a machine screw in the center of the wheel to hold the wheel in place, but the screw had a rather large plastic knurled knob over it for ease of removal.

Sound familiar anyone?

Mike Henderson
12-20-2006, 9:58 AM
LapSharp????

Glen Blanchard
12-20-2006, 10:26 AM
LapSharp????

Well that's not it either. I wonder if it is a new product not yet being sold. It looks like that episode will be repeated at 11:30. I'll have to try to stick near the computer and see if I can catch the entire episode. If I get the answer, I'll post it here to solve the mystery. Thanks guys.

Kent Fitzgerald
12-20-2006, 10:36 AM
JoolTool, maybe?

Glen Blanchard
12-20-2006, 10:38 AM
JoolTool, maybe?

Negatory Kent. But thanks for playing. :o

Glen Blanchard
12-20-2006, 1:07 PM
Well, mystery solved. I was wrong. It was the LapSharp. Mike wins!!

Anyone using this?

Sam Kennard
12-20-2006, 1:17 PM
The segment that I saw from the Woodcraft Show was of the Lapsharp (http://www.woodartistry.com/).

I bought one recently and really like it.

Kent Fitzgerald
12-20-2006, 1:30 PM
Sharp-n-Spin?
Wheel of Friction?
Disc-o-Keen?
Spinnapalooza?

Doug Shepard
12-20-2006, 1:38 PM

Ahhh - I'd like to buy a vowel Pat.:D

Mike Henderson
12-20-2006, 2:22 PM
So, are you going to send me one as the prize?:D

Mike

John Miliunas
12-20-2006, 2:57 PM

Anyone using this?

Glen, I could be wrong but, it seems to me that Bob Marino picked one of those up a while back. Not sure how much he's used it. He's about the only one I know off at the moment. Drop him PM...:) :cool: