PDA

View Full Version : Need a woodturning lawyer

OB OBrien
12-20-2006, 8:43 AM
Hi All; In looking into the February Gathering here in Pensacola. I feel I will need some sort of a liability release for everyone who attends. So I'm looking for a personal injury lawyer to write up a liability release form for me. Are there any lawyers out there who can help? I think a woodturning lawyer would be helpful as he knows well what dangers are associated with turning. Thanks OB

Andy Hoyt
12-20-2006, 9:39 AM
PM sent, OB

Bill Grumbine
12-20-2006, 10:51 AM
OB, when we have the picnic here, I just tell people that if someone gets hurt, I am going to drag their body across the road to the neighbor's property and swear I never saw them before! :eek:

Of course, that principle will not work when I am down there. I am too heavy to drag! :D

Bill

Mark Pruitt
12-20-2006, 10:59 AM
Beware of woodturning lawyers.

They will gouge your wallet and hollow out your bank account, leaving you scraping for pennies. Why? Because their perspective is skewed.

:p :rolleyes:

Sorry....couln't resist.:o

Claude Arragon
12-20-2006, 11:29 AM
Good one Mark! http://www.la-truciolara.com/forum/Ncris4.gif http://www.la-truciolara.com/forum/Ncris4.gif http://www.la-truciolara.com/forum/Ncris4.gif

Raymond Overman
12-20-2006, 11:37 AM
I know a woodturning lawyer... but he's the guy I would call if I got hurt at your party.

Jim Becker
12-20-2006, 11:50 AM
Check with the AAW (http://www.woodturner.org) and see if they have any boiler-plate available for such things.

John Hart
12-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Beware of woodturning lawyers.

They will gouge your wallet and hollow out your bank account, leaving you scraping for pennies. Why? Because their perspective is skewed.

:p :rolleyes:

Sorry....couln't resist.:o

That was really good Mark!!:D Can I have your autograph? (just put in on the bottom of a bowl or something);)

Brodie Brickey
12-20-2006, 2:47 PM
If its an AAW sanctioned meeting, ie your club is part of the AAW, etc, you should be able to tap them as a resource for advice as well as be under their rider.

Joe Tonich
12-20-2006, 5:16 PM
I know a woodturning lawyer... but he's the guy I would call if I got hurt at your party.

Dang........that isn't even funny as a joke...(hopin it is one)

If your attending.....and your a turner.....ya aught'a know what may happen and bring your own stuff ( face shield, safety glasses, non-loose clothing that can get snagged, etc....), and watch the ones that attend with you also. It's not up to the host.

It'd be like the hot coffee lawsuit- ya know it's hot and your stupid enough to put it in your lap......well...."Here's your sign."

I think it'd be a sad day when a WW'ing BBQ gets sued......:( :(

Bill Grumbine
12-20-2006, 9:02 PM

I'm with Joe on this one. I've had hundreds of people at my place for woodworking events, and a number of them have been lawyers. No one jokes like this, and if I thought they were serious, they would be shown the door before they had a chance to get hurt - or call a lawyer.

Right after I hit the post button, I recalled a guy who used to come to an unofficial turning meeting in a guy's basement. Every month he would make comments about the amount of dust in the air, and say things like, "Gee, OSHA would really have some problems with the amount of dust here!". He always said he was just joking, but it wasn't too long before he got the very distinct impression that he wasn't welcome anymore.

Bill

Jonathon Spafford
12-21-2006, 2:28 AM
Dang........that isn't even funny as a joke...(hopin it is one)

Awwww... c'mon! I am definitely sure that was a joke!!! ;)
I don't think most of the guys on here would be stupid enough to sue for something that was their own faul! I think it is seriously disgusting when people sue over their own mistakes ... it would definitely make one think twice about hosting a turning gathering if it ever happened. I have never heard of it happening and I have never heard of the lawyer thing ever being an issue in my club! Just my .02

Kurt Forbes
12-21-2006, 6:59 AM
OB I do not think you have posted details about the gathering either here on on the artisticwoodturners.com site.

Ernie Hobbs
12-21-2006, 8:26 AM
OB I do not think you have posted details about the gathering either here on on the artisticwoodturners.com site.

Yeah- what are the details? I come to Pensacola fairly often and might be able to work it into my travels. Is your event open to anyone or a specific group? Thanks.

OB OBrien
12-21-2006, 8:39 AM

Hi Kurt; They are supposed to put it on the clubs web site soon.
www.artisticwoodturners.com
How come you missed the Christmas meeting ?

OB OBrien
12-21-2006, 8:44 AM
Yeah- what are the details? I come to Pensacola fairly often and might be able to work it into my travels. Is your event open to anyone or a specific group? Thanks.

Hello Ernie. It's just a simple gathering of woodturners to share tips, techniques and help other turners advance thier skills. I'll post more details in a new thread labeled Pensacola gathering. Hope to see you in Feb. OB

OB OBrien
12-21-2006, 8:49 AM
Thanks for the very interesting replys you all. I'm looking into buying some liability insurance to cover the gathering. Thanks for all the help. OB n Sue